HKPRO Forums banner

Hk416 upper- serials

12K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  JNAP94 
#1 ·
Searched and didn't find an answer.

Just curious I've noticed that some of the uppers for sale have serials while others don't. Also some uppers especially on gunbroker don't have any date codes at all. What's the difference?

1. Are the date coded, serialized uppers pd trade-ins?
2. Where do the date coded, non-serialized ones come from?
3. What's the significance of the non date coded, non-serialized ones?

#2 ·
From the little knowledge I've been able to pick up... (A little out of your order)

2a) earlier date code uppers have the SR on the bottom of the receiver. I don't know the year this was switched to the side of the receiver.

2b) some people block out the SR to protect the innocent

3) some uppers are made from replacement receivers with used 416 barrels attached. These are not stamped with SRs or Date Codes (caveat here, I think there maybe a handful that were stamped floating around out there).

1) Are they PD trade ins? Good question, only the shadow knows which is which. But some PDs bought the rifles then turned around and sold the uppers without firing them. Some are resale after use. Some were sold by Dealers when they could actually get their hands on them. This is now mostly not possible as HK will not send them to dealers. They ship directly to PDs who have to sign an End User Agreement/Contract. It stipulates that they go back to HK when decommissioned.

I'm still a novice here, but that is what I've been able to pick up thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My understanding is that HK416 uppers came in either (A) complete carbines in which the dealer and/or LE department sold the upper or (B) upper only kits.

For the former, it was a sizable box that included magazine, manual, etc. For the latter, it came in a much smaller box as it was an upper only kit. Those upper only kits had the serial numbers on the bottom of the upper.

Most of them were AF date code assuming they had a date code (which they did NOT). You can tell because they had the heavier profile barrel. I guess they could have technically been AE or AG date code.

I have no experience on replacement receivers so not sure how replacement revivers fit into this grand scheme of things. B

HTH!

#5 ·
Its is my understanding that the 'replacement' upper kits that were available for the first few years of production were completely unmarked and un-serialized (no date code, HK, proofs, or serial on the bottom).

All factory issued complete rifles AE and AF date coded were serialized on the bottom of the receiver. The sides of those receivers have the date code, HK, and proof marks only. This changed for AG date code where they moved the serial from the bottom to the side behind the proof marks. Upper receiver markings have remained relatively unchanged since this move.

Drooler - Are you saying the 'upper only' kits available during that time were serialized but not date coded or proof marked? It was always my understanding that these 'upper kits' were the 'replacement' kits and completely unmarked and missing serials. I have never seen a blank sided upper that had a serial on the bottom - curious if we could shed some light on this!!

#6 ·
Its is my understanding that the 'replacement' upper kits that were available for the first few years of production were completely unmarked and un-serialized (no date code, HK, proofs, or serial on the bottom).
You are correct. They came in a brown box, with zero markings on the side or the bottom.

#8 · (Edited)
@Brad4065 and tw450.
Apologies for mis-speaking. Getting senile/forgetful.

I'm not sure regarding the serial numbers so I best stop before I make a further fool of myself.

The things that I'm really clear about is the upper only kits. I had purchased two of them (not knowingly or intentionally. I simply wanted HK416 10.4" uppers). Both of them came in much smaller packaging. Very unique and distinct packaging to hold the upper only in place within the box, which I suppose is to prevent the upper from moving around and getting damaged.

I think I have some pics but will have to go dig for them. Both pictures of the packaging (internal) and the uppers.

Apologies to the OP for confusing the matter!!

@RegularGuy461969
Good calls! Thankfully HK is much more rational and logical... When compared to the BATF. : ).
I just wished they sold the HK416 uppers directly to civilians vs this convoluted process that happened. I still recall waiting/searching for 6 moths to buy an upper back in 2011 when I first joined HKPro before I finally found two from HKParts.net.

#9 ·
I found some pics, which I'll post shortly.

To add more confusion, I think the boxes in which these "upper only" kits had serial numbers on the packaging. Which would make sense I guess.

Where is HKPro member Lineback911 when we need him? Dude is a wealth of knowledge!

#10 ·
Stand alone "Upper Only" HK416 kits and the packaging they came in. Smaller in size compared to packaging for the full/complete HK416 carbine kits. If I had to guess, 60%?? size of full/complete kits.

The inside and the unique packaging. You can see the left side of the HK416 upper is unmarked.

The inside of the internal package contained the HK steel mag, spring and buffer.

Close up pic of left side of upper. No markings at all.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if any additional info/pics needed. Apologies again for the confusion!

#13 · (Edited)
Awesome pics drooler! Just curious what does the label say? If its a replacement kit it should be marked as such if I'm not mistaken.. I have boxes just like that and they are for complete 10" rifles - have to double check but the bare code reads something like HK416D 10" Auto Rifle and includes the serial #. From what I've seen 10" complete rifles used to ship in those boxes, while more recently (Bx) it seems they standardized the 14.5" and 10" rifles to the same larger size box.

*typo!

#14 ·
@TW450.
I only have a few complete carbine boxes. Maybe mine are different from yours.

When I open the inside of the complete carbine boxes (less the full auto HK416D lower otherwise I go to jail!), it is empty without any special cut-outs. Just a foam type cushion protection.

I think I do have a pic of the shipping label. IIRC it says "replacement upper".

I'll go look for the pic!

@all,
More than welcome. I learned so much from HKPro so any little way I can contribute bank, I'll try my best. Safe shooting!

#15 ·

IIRC, I intentionally left out the bottom set of numbers (you can barely make out the top portion of the numbers) when I took the pic.

Back then, for whatever reason, I was under the impression it was/is the serial number.

Hope this helps. Interesting tit bit that only us HK folks care about... : )

#17 ·
For comparison sake, below are pics of the packaging that a complete HK416 carbine comes in.

For this particular box, the serial number on the packaging matches the serial number of the BA code HK416 10.4" upper with vented gas block. One of the few Safe Queens in my possession).

As you can tell from the inside, the packaging looks different from the Replacement Upper kit packaging. It is soooooo cool! An otherwise normal empty box with some foam material. : )

The contents that came with the upper kit

Close-up of right side

Close-up of right side HK proof marks

Hope this helps. Cheers!

#19 ·
Same as our BE Boxes TW450. The older ones were cutout cardboard sleeves inside larger boxes. I still have one of those here.. Not sure where the upper is that matches it..?? Scratching my head.. I am worried I squirreled 1 away and forgot where I put it. Hmmm ;-)

#21 ·
Awesome pics again Drooler! I don't think yours are different, from your pics everything is lining up.

Like I mentioned newer (Bx series) complete rifles shipped in a larger 'open' box no matter the barrel length - it's the same box and padding used to ship the USC's and SL8's I think. Older 10" complete rifles shipped in a sleeve the same size and config (roughly) as the replacement upper sleeve you posted. Also older 14.5" complete rifles shipped in a sleeve well, although much larger then the 10" obviously :)

I will have to grab some pics so we can make this the official HK416 packaging technicalities thread!! Good stuff though - for us HK nerds :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.