+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How to carry legal in Illinois

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by MrMopar View Post
    Please cite the case law that you're stating.

Illinois has no restrictions on carrying of ammunition. You can carry in a box, in a zip-lock bag, in your pocket, in a magazine - it doesn't matter. As long as you have a FOID you can carry ammo however you want so long as it's not loaded in a firearm.
    Sorry it's been a long while since I checked this section of the forums.

Illinois Supreme Court recently overturned the appellate decision so not much point in naming those previous appellate cases. Now you can carry both ammo and firearm in the same compartment/case so long as the gun is not loaded within that comparment/case. Here is the IL SC case that overturned the previous appellate decisions. http://www.state.il.us/Court/Opinion...ber/106367.pdf

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x59307674...eoria-gun-case
    Last edited by bhale187; 03-06-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: My views, opinions and postings are personal and are not representative of my profession, agency, or any other entity.

USP 40 S/S-match hybrid (KH)
    P30L (AI)
    P2000SK 40 LEM (AH)
    VP70 Z (IA)
    HK4 .380

HKPRO Professional

The next step is going to be someone carrying an unloaded firearm in a belly bag or purse with a loaded mag in the same bag/case, get arrested for it, and see if the appellate and/or Supreme court continues the same logic with 'on a person' as was applied to in a car.

It's going to take a lot of baby steps to get Illinois to accept concealed carry, it won't happen overnight just because the Chicago political machine is so anti gun.

It's already been done. And yes many police agencies in Illinois have no idea how to handle this problem. When my wife took her hunter's safety course about six years ago I stood up and asked the female Conservation Officer if it was legal to carry ammo in the same case as the gun and she said absolutely, "Yes." Many police will arrest you if you are caught "fanny packing." But I personally sat in on a case in Vandalia, Illinois where a woman was arrested for "carrying an unloaded pistol with mag also in the same compartment as the pistol in her fanny pack." The judge ruled that she was, according to the wildlife code, completely legal carrying her pistol that way. She was found 'not guilty' of that charge. She was not out hunting at the time but she had a table at some big swap meet where she was originally cited for selling a paper weight in the form of brass knuckles. She was found guilty on the brass knuckle charges though. This was probably in the area of 8 years ago. The problem is that it is a poor way to carry but if it is your only option then go for it. But beware, you will most probably be arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by bhale187 View Post
    It's going to take a lot of baby steps to get Illinois to accept concealed carry, it won't happen overnight just because the Chicago political machine is so anti gun.
    Actually, they are against their law abiding subjects having guns. For politicians and criminals, it's OK - but I repeat myself.
    Jim

Nov 2010 elections are critical to the future of our country - register and vote - www.TriggerTheVote.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links