+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NJ Handgun Registration Question

Default NJ Handgun Registration Question

I have a handgun registered in the town I currently live in in NJ. If I move to a different town still in NJ do I have to change anything with my registration to reflect my new address?

Very Senior Member

yes, go to the police station and inform them you need to change your address. ( they may send you to the police station in your new town.)
    even if you move a block away in the same town, they need notification within 30 days.

just did this myself, and am awaiting new permit /and FID card from trenton.
    cost $18, plus whatever the local permit fee is ( mine was $5 more ).
    then you wait 4-12 weeks for a new piece of paper.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Quote Originally Posted by SL8-Fin View Post
    I have a handgun registered in the town I currently live in in NJ. If I move to a different town still in NJ do I have to change anything with my registration to reflect my new address?
    If I'm reading this correctly. You will ALWAYS need to have a FIC with a matching address as your DL. If your planning to buy any other firearms anyway.

However you do not need to reregister your handguns with another town (within NJ borders anyway). you allready did it with the state. That is enough.

Thanks guys. I found the form for changing my address on my Firearms ID card here under forms to download.

They had a special form for replacing damaged/lost cards or changing the info on your existing Firearms ID card. You can even change your sex...?!?! Got to love it.

Vid

What a crock!

You don't need to notify address change for moving a pistol, the I.D card is supposed to match your license though. Be prepared for the new town to take your I.D card and wait for the new one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vid View Post
    What a crock!

You don't need to notify address change for moving a pistol, the I.D card is supposed to match your license though. Be prepared for the new town to take your I.D card and wait for the new one again.
    If I move I'll need to change my license to match the new address for auto insurance purposes. So it's a catch 22. I can't do one without the other. I talked to the PD in the new town and since my card is from 1999 (and that was the last time I was finger printed) the process is like getting the card for the first time. 3 forms, more finger printing and I'm sure a wait time. (hopefully not the 30 days though since it is a duplicate)

What a hassle! Next time I move it'll be out of the Peoples' Republic of NJ.

Vid

Quote Originally Posted by SL8-Fin View Post
    If I move I'll need to change my license to match the new address for auto insurance purposes. So it's a catch 22. I can't do one without the other. I talked to the PD in the new town and since my card is from 1999 (and that was the last time I was finger printed) the process is like getting the card for the first time. 3 forms, more finger printing and I'm sure a wait time. (hopefully not the 30 days though since it is a duplicate)

What a hassle! Next time I move it'll be out of the Peoples' Republic of NJ.
    Depending on the town? you could be looking at 6 months without an I.D card. Jersey sucks. Take the chief out for a round of golf and hope he likes guns.

I used to call and have permits signed as guns came in. But they knew me well, in some of those tows it can be a major wait. Knew a guy that sued West Milford if I remember correctly. He won but took him a year to get his permits.

Hope it go's quickly for you, and it might. You just don't know as its municipal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Vid View Post
    Hope it go's quickly for you, and it might. You just don't know as its municipal level.
    I went by the PD in the new town today. What an ordeal that was. I had to fill out 4 forms. Two were the local municipality's forms and asked basically the same questions as the state FID card and Mental Health forms.

I brought with me the form for duplicate/replacement FID cards. The officer wasn't familiar with that form and wanted me to fill out the original FID card form too "just in case". In his defense he was filling in for the guy who normally handles firearms applications and was extremely nice.

I also had to get fingerprinted again since my card was issued in 1999. So basically it was like getting the FID card for the first time all over again. I know it should have been simpler than that since all I need is a duplicate with a new address, but I didn't want to rub the guy the wrong way.

Stay tuned......

Very Senior Member

i'm still waiting to get called back in for the fingerprinting.....month, and one week, and three days, and 9 hours...

and i moved within eyesite of my last address.....

my form said 4-12 weeks turn around time with no FID.....

Quote Originally Posted by mil-collector View Post
    i'm still waiting to get called back in for the fingerprinting.....month, and one week, and three days, and 9 hours...

and i moved within eyesite of my last address.....

my form said 4-12 weeks turn around time with no FID.....
    haha well look at the bright side, atleast you arent waiting 4 months like i did when i got mine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links