+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rifle/Shotgun outside NYC

Default Rifle/Shotgun outside NYC

Does anyone know if it is ok for us to buy/keep a rifle or shotgun outside of NYC? For instance, I buy a rifle/shotgun at a store in PA and keep it at my vacation home in PA. The rifle/shotgun is NEVER brought into NY. Is this a problem? Do I still need a NYC rifle/shotgun permit even though I will never have the gun here? Also, the rifle/shotgun would be something that complies with all NY laws (capacity/"assault" ban etc). I know that it would be completely legal on the PA side of things, but can I get in trouble in NYC even if the gun is never here?

Technically thats still not really an answer. If the NYPD came knocking at my door and asked where the rifle is that I purchased in PA (not sure if they would even do that since its out of NYS) then I just tell them its in my vacation home in PA. My question would be is that against a NY state law? Its perfectly legal both by PA law and federal regulations to buy a rifle in PA and keep it in PA as long as its not a banned weapon in my home state. There would have to a specific NY state law that requires that any rifle/shotgun you own be kept in this state. Without something that specific I cant see how they would be able to tell you where you can keep your rifle?? Anyone have any other insight, or perhaps knowledge of a specific law?

Unrepentant HKHolic

No problem. NY doesn't register long guns anyhow, it's only NYC that does. People on the FAQ have reported that they can have long guns in NY state outside of NYC no problem. The only issue is that they cannot bring it into NYC without registering it (putting themselves as both owner and buyer on the form). Thus NYPD would not know unless you registered it or if you bought it from a NY dealer that knows that they have to send the registration form to NYPD.

So if you have a vacation place elsewhere, in theory yes it should be permissable as it's out of NYC's jurisdiction. Also keep in mind that the NYC long arm license is not a restrictive one. It's permissory for possession of a long arm within NYC 5-boroughs. Any long arm in your possession in the 5 boroughs needs to be registered in your name with NYPD.

Pistols with the restrictive clause in it for NYC residents is a whole other story.
    -[ MueveloNYC's P2000/sk FAQ ]- . . MNYC's NYC Gun FAQ
    USPc vs. P2000sk Range Report || Система Martial Arts Trained
    Vids: ABCNews: Gun Control Myths, Part2 . 30 Days: Gun Nation
    NRA Life Member, FL&CT CCW, USPc, M1 Super90, R700p LTR TWS

Range Courtesy: (watch your brass!)

Muev is dead on. The NYC permit (long guns) is for POSSESSION in NYC only and not for purchase. NYPD's own rule book that you can print from their website even tells you that if you purchase a long gun out of the city and bring it back into the city you have 72 hours to register it on your permit or to apply for a permit if you don't have one.

Thats exactly what I thought. I think thats about the first sigh of relief Ive been able to take since I started looking into getting a handgun and rifle a few months ago. I'd like to thank NYC for being so lenient with their gun laws and regulations. If only places outside of NYC were so accepting of and friendly towards law abiding gun owners, then this country would be a great place. Wow, I think I just threw up in my mouth typing that sentence. Anyway thanks for the info. I'll check into the packet to find the exact wording that Lion said, just to be safe.

(f) If the permit holder has a gun stored in a residence outside of New York City and wishes to register it in New York City, he or she must submit a notarized letter listing the make, model and serial number of the gun and the address where it was stored. The letter must also indicate how the firearm was originally obtained. The permit holder must also complete a registration form and submit it.

(j) All rifles and shotguns brought into New York City for storage must be registered with the Rifle/Shotgun Section within 72 hours of arrival.

From reading those two subsections, looks like having one outside and never bringing it into NYC does not require a permit. Thats great news.

New NYC member here - I would like to thank MueveloNYC for the helpful thread regarding NYC gun laws. In a few weeks I am going to try and purchase a new .22 in Maine for use at my parents' house there. I have contacted a few sellers, all of whom are VERY wary of selling any firearm to an NYC resident except through an FFL. Cabelas in Scarborough will not sell to any out of state resident except through an FFL. I laid out the case to an small gun store and they seem to have no problem with letting me buy one (their mantra was "if you pass the background check and vacation here we will sell you one). So in a month or so I will give it a try.

Typically, stores will want to see a driver's license as a form of ID. If you are from out of state, they will often not sell it to you.

In NY State, unless things have changed, many gunstores outside of NYC will sell you a longarm as long as you have a New York State DL. Since they are out of NYC, they are not bound by its laws. But you are as a resident if you try to bring the gun into the city.

Thus, if you live in NY but have a vacation home outside, you can buy the gun outside and keep it at your vacation home.

(j) All rifles and shotguns brought into New York City for storage must be registered with the Rifle/Shotgun Section within 72 hours of arrival.
    This always confused me. I imagine they meant for people who already had a longarm permit.

I wonder what their response would be if you contacted them or visited their office and said that you brought a longarm in from upstate and wanted to register it in accordance with their laws.

For the record, used to live in NYC, but have not lived in the state in over a decade. I still find it very interesting keeping abreast of the laws there and the changes.

Unrepentant HKHolic

I think that section is for those visiting for competitions. Perhaps one of the guys from Colonial range or SI Trap (SI Sportsman Club) could chime in for the NRA/ATA competitions held there for non-NYC residents? Generally you have to notify the rifle section a few days in advance so that they are aware that you're visiting for a competition I believe, but I'm not familiar with that process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links