+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to transport handgun in NC?

Very Senior Member

Default How to transport handgun in NC?

I will be visiting my brother in NC next week and was curious how I could pack my USP for the trip. I know in Arkansas you have to have a concealed carry permit to have a loaded concealed handgun in a car. What are the rules in NC? Thanks

xrockdawgx

check to see if Arkansas and all states in between if you are driving, have reciprocity with NC. If your state does, then your CCW will cover you. If not, your best bet is to carry it far out of reach(trunk) and separated from the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
    I will be visiting my brother in NC next week and was curious how I could pack my USP for the trip. I know in Arkansas you have to have a concealed carry permit to have a loaded concealed handgun in a car. What are the rules in NC? Thanks

Carrying a handgun in NC is very tricky. If you carry a handgun
    in the trunk, and do not have a CCW, and get caught....you will
    be changed with a concealed carry violation. If you have a CCW
    and NC recognizes(SP) it, you should be OK.....

I have been told by numerous LEO's that all I have to do (I don't have a CCW)
    is to carry it in "plain sight" (where it can be seen by an officer should I
    get pulled over). I have went thru road blocks, and been stopped before
    while having my .45 in a shoulder harness, and never had a problem.
    The rules may vary with a out of state CCW, I'd call the NC Highway
    Partol in Raleigh....

CPR

Hmm... so driving to the range with a trunk full of guns would be illegal if you don't have a CCW in NC? That's news to me. Heck, you can drive through Jersey with a gun in your trunk. I think NC would be OK. I guess I'm breaking tons of laws every time I go shooting. :D

OP, just use common sense. It's required that you have your pistol in plain view (dashboard, unoccupied passenger seat). If you get pulled over, make sure you let the officer know you have the weapon and make sure it is plain view. PLEASE do not leave your gun in plain sight if you leave the vehicle. Use common sense. Take it with you or lock it up discreetly.

I've lived in NC well before we got CCW and never had any problems. I would avoid Durham, Chapel Hill and maybe Asheville like the plague though. They are liberal bastions now and Durham in particular is hard on people with guns. I doubt the officers there are as understanding as other parts of the state.

Please understand that these are my opinions and you're best bet is to check packing.org and NC state law before doing anything that might get you in hot water. After reading our laws, it seems NC isn't as gun friendly as I thought. :(

Here's the link to NC weapons laws on Packing.org: http://www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/

Er, I guess I could have read the OP better. Hope your trip went well and was uneventful.
    Last edited by CPR; 06-13-2007 at 10:31 PM.

I have been in Law Enforcement in NC for 23 years and I have never heard of carrying a gun in the trunk being illegal. It is not accessible to the driver or passenger. Under the seat, yes. The best way that I know of, is to have it in plain view. If you are stopped by an officer in your vehicle, keep your hands on the steering wheel. As the officer approaches, just tell him "officer, I want you to know that I have a pistol lying on the seat where you can see it". He'll appreciate it if you tell him. It is legal to have it in plain view if you are legally able to own a firearm. DON'T reach for the weapon to show it to him. Also, if necessary, tell him that your wallet is in your pocket and ask him if he wishes for you to step out of the car before you get your wallet. That way you won't have to reach back in the area of the weapon. I have always respected someone that alerted me to the fact that he was armed before I saw it.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post
    I have been in Law Enforcement in NC for 23 years and I have never heard of carrying a gun in the trunk being illegal. It is not accessible to the driver or passenger. Under the seat, yes. The best way that I know of, is to have it in plain view. If you are stopped by an officer in your vehicle, keep your hands on the steering wheel. As the officer approaches, just tell him "officer, I want you to know that I have a pistol lying on the seat where you can see it". He'll appreciate it if you tell him. It is legal to have it in plain view if you are legally able to own a firearm. DON'T reach for the weapon to show it to him. Also, if necessary, tell him that your wallet is in your pocket and ask him if he wishes for you to step out of the car before you get your wallet. That way you won't have to reach back in the area of the weapon. I have always respected someone that alerted me to the fact that he was armed before I saw it.
    I carry my USP to and from the range in my trunk, in its case, unloaded with the HK cable lock through the slide. If this is in anyway illegal then I would like to know. I don't see how it could be though.
    | USP .40 | HK45 | P7 PSP |

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged View Post
    I carry my USP to and from the range in my trunk, in its case, unloaded with the HK cable lock through the slide. If this is in anyway illegal then I would like to know. I don't see how it could be though.
    From what you've described, it is acceptable transport. It's unloaded, it's locked, and it's unaccessable in the trunk.

I think post #3 was refering to keeping a loaded gun in the trunk without a CCW permit.

Regarding concealed carry in NC or any other state, I've found handgunlaw.us to be the best source for CCW info (since packing.org is defunct)
    The link is here ... http://www.handgunlaw.us/

As far as the trunk goes, it really doesn't matter whether it's loaded or not. To be charged with carrying a concealed weapon, it must be accessible to the driver or passenger and concealed from view. In the trunk is not accessible unless someone can reach it from the passenger area. That is what a District Court Judge told me a few years ago. That is the standard that the Law Enforcement officers in my area have been going by when dealing with firearms in a motor vehicle unless it's changed drastically within the last year, but I think I would've heard of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post

I got out of a ticket by doing just that. I was also abliged to sit on the side of the road for 10 minutes while the officer and myself discussed where I got the gun, how much it was, what type of ammo do I carry and if he should buy one for himself. Small price to pay for running a red light.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun." - The Devils Guard

HK MP5 (sear gun)
    Colt M4 10.25"
    Benelli M1 Super 90
    Glock 30

Once you make it here to NC the really sneaky part of concealed carry (for me at least) is that you you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. This keeps you out of most sit-down restaurants (Applebees, Outback...).

No concealed in a totally government building which usually means the Post Office, Library, courthouse and other governement buildings.

No guns on school property.
    "What can I do with a dolllar? Buy a bullet and rent a gun." : Vegas Vacation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links