+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First time out with my HK P2000SK .40 V2!

Default First time out with my HK P2000SK .40 V2!

Hello all, I took my P2KSK in .40 V2 out for the first time today and...it exceeded all my expectations!

I've never done a range report, so I'm just going to blabber away...

Before anything, my buddy and I used blazer brass and then some WWB, I think 180grn and 165grn respectively. I'll check and edit that if needed.

Now, I've read about the recoil of a .40 being snappy. All I can say is, "what snappiness?!" I've shot a Sig P239 before also in .40, and the recoil was quite noticeable (I remember after shooting the P239, I thought to myself that I'd never get a gun that small in .40.)...but that is NOT the case with the SK, seriously! Recoil was very very controllable. I do have small hands, all my fingers fit perfectly within the pinky extension grip, and it didn't feel like the gun was going to fly out of my hands. I have a uspc 10 rounder, but I left it at home. Once I get an x-grip and shoot again, I'll do another range report...

Anyway, the LEM trigger is awesome! Naturally (for me anyway) my trigger finger would only go forward just enough after each shot to reset for the next one. The trigger was pretty smooth too. Side note, I did dry-fire a gazillion times for about a month before I actually took her out. That probably helped. Someone else mentioned in another thread, that to truly appreciate the LEM trigger, one must actually try it out at a range and not just 'test it' by racking the slide and dry-firing. That statement stands true for me at least.

Here's another bit of tasty info. My buddy brought his Sig P229r, which is slightly larger. I'd say comparable to the regular P2000. But we both traded for a bit. When I asked him if he liked the SK, he grinned, and said that he loved it! (It was the kind of grin like, "Dang it, I should have gotten the HK") He initially wanted the P2000 since the SK was a bit small for him, but since he got a good deal on the P229r, he went with that.

I shot his P229r and, with all honesty, it didn't feel quite as solid as my SK. Now I see why people say that HKs are well built. (But to all Sig fans out there, I did like shooting the P229r as well, DA/SA trigger!) But hands down, I'd rather shoot the SK.

I had 3-5 inch groups, so I know I need a lot of practice!

That's about it so far, I just wanted to share my experience with those interested!
    Last edited by samuraishot; 07-15-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: interchanged bullet grain info
    P2000SK .40 V2

Sounds like you have a winner. I had the P2000SK V2 ad sold it to buy a P2000 V2. I liked the SK but I wanted something a bit bigger. I agree with you about the snappiness of the .40. I just ran about 130 rounds through my gun Tuesday. I still can't believe how mild it seemed. The LEM trigger takes some getting used to but it's a fairly easy learning curve.

Like your friend, I looked at both at P2000 and a Sig 229. The shop I was at had a good deal on a slightly used 229, no rail with both .40 and 357 sig barrels. What made me pick the HK was the size. The 229 just felt bulkier in my hand. This is my first HK, but I'm already planning my next purchase.

Awesome, thats the kind of info im interested in. Seems like I cant find any info on HK handguns @ the range.

Birddog, do you carry the P2000?

I'll be taking my P2000SK out again pretty soon, and will be comparing it with some other .40's including a glock 23, sig p229r (again), sig P226. I believe there will also be some 9mm's too that may include a glock 17 and a beretta. I'll post a new range report as soon as I can. BTW, My hands fit a 7 glove size, in case anyone else with the same hand size is wondering about how the P2000SK compares with other pistols. I'm mentioning this because I've heard so many different reviews on the P2000SK with people with large hands and they tuck their pinky under the flat floor plate.

Took my P2000SK out for another short round...

Shot around 120 rounds of reloads w/ 180grn bullets. I'm not sure of the powder, I'll ask my friend and then edit it in this.

Anyway, everything was running smoothly until the last round in my third mag. Had an FTE (just to be sure, this is when the shell gets stuck as it comes out of the slide/extractor, right?). Well, if it is, I think I've seen it in pics, but having one actually felt odd. Like getting all the answers right on a test except for one. Other than that, every round fired perfectly.

The only other pistol brought was a glock 23. I did notice the kick on the 23 was a bit sharper than the SK's. Trigger-wise...the glock had a reset exactly how others explained it in comparison with the HKs LEM. The reset after each trigger pull for the glock was really short compared to the LEM. Other than that, I still preferred the smooth long pull of the LEM and seeing the hammer pull back before letting off. For some reason, it feels safer that way (to me at least).

For now, I'm trying to really understand HK's LEM and why it was developed that way than just taking it as it is and complain about it how different it is from other triggers.

My groupings remained the same as before, but I was told that as more rounds are put through, they'll eventually tighten up (soon I hope). Yeah, I know this was a boring update, but I'll have a better one soon for those interested.

Scheduled to go back to the range tomorrow with my buddy and his Sig P229R. Maybe our other friend will come along and bring his G23.

I hope it goes through hehe this will be my third time out and hopefully I'll be even more familiar with the LEM and give a more detailed report.

Ok, this time, I didn't want to bother with the P229R and just spent the entire time with the P2KSK. I used WWB 165grn instead of the BB 180grn after reading some info on a thread I found on the HK customer service forum:

http://www.hk-usa.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4927

This time I experienced no malfunctions, unlike last time. Oh yeah, what I had last time was a stovepipe (from pictures I viewed around the net). I said before it was a FTE, but is that the same? Any input would be nice from the experts here so that I can get my terms straight :)

Now, I did shoot better today than the last two times...but, I'll be completely honest, I'm not too sure if it's only one of or the combination of the following that helped:

1) I only used my gun
    2) This was my 3rd time out with the P2KSK
    3) I only used 165grn ammo (which, according to the link above, is more accurate)
    4) I took my time

When I did take my time, about 3 sec after each shot to recompose, I was getting 2-3 groups. I also let the trigger fully reset for each shot instead of only that short travel before I can pull again for the next round. I'll be practicing that short reset later down the road.

OTOH, when I got carried away and tried to speed up, my shots were landing low left and low right (and a couple strays). I'll be using the correction chart to see where I went wrong.

What's nice about the LEM trigger is that it's not too heavy IMO and only stacks up near the break. For me, it's kinda like a split second warning for my trigger finger telling me 'Keep going, and BLAM! or ease off of the trigger and you're safe' without having to decock. I don't know if I'm making any sense to anybody hehe

Anyway, some other side notes for new shooters from a new shooter: Where a hat! My buddy did wear eye protection, but a shell that flew up landed exactly into that little gap at the top and hit his right eye! Good thing he was okay (but his eye started turning red). After that we grabbed our hats from the car.

I'll update this soon with a pic of one of my targets as soon as I find out how to do it.

In spite of what I hear about using wolf ammo from the search function on this forum (that it's dirty, steel casing, etc.) I'm going to try some out today anyway to see how it feeds through for those interested in how it runs in a P2000SK.

Sorry, gotta make a correction...turns out the ammo I used today wasn't wolf, but reloads with lead bullets. So, if anyone is interested in this...read on.

Went through about 200+ rounds of this stuff. Bad news first: I had 3 failure to feeds. I certainly don't blame it on the gun though since all the ammo I used in previous trips to the range fed nicely. Second, lead bullets, as people mentioned, really foul up the bore (yuck).

Other than those hiccups, everything went well.

I thing I wanted to see was if there would be loss of accuracy when the bore/barrel is fouled up with lead. Before wrapping up the session, I was still hitting tight groups, albeit low left (because of me), so I can't say that there was a loss of accuracy (and the bore was pretty grimey looking for those last ones).

I was at an outdoor range today so I had to start off at 25 yards and go backwards to about 7 yards when other people left blah blah anyway, The nice thing was I had a bench at the 25 yards and shot the first 50 at rest...and WOW! This thing is pretty accurate even at that distance!

Unfortunately, I still need more work on my hold/grip. Shots are landing low left if I don't take my time, but at least it stays in that group hehe.

That's all for now..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads