+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PTR 91 .308 PISTOL

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Default PTR 91 .308 PISTOL

Today a guy came into the gunshop where I work with a PTR built .308 pistol. I usually work in the "assault weapon" section, but today I worked at the range desk. Upon inspecting the weapon, I told him I own a Vector V-51P. I looked in & the gun had a bolt gap of 1/4". The carrier wasn't fully forward, so the owner gave it the "HK slap" & the gap seemed fine. However he did say the first time he fired the gun, it would jam every time. Sure enough, 10 minutes later he came out to the range desk, & asked me to look at the gun as it was still jamming. I noticed the gun was filthy before he shot it, & he was using commercial Hornady ammo. I tried a few shots, & the gun was jamming, & not even ejecting the spent case. So I told him the gun was totally filthy, but I took the whole gun apart & oiled everything as I couldn't start spraying brake cleaner on the range. The gun came apart easily, & the pins came out without any tools. The bolt was marked PTR, but the carrier, & locking piece were unmarked, so I don't know who made them. However every foreign carrier I have seen was marked on the flat spot, but this carrier didn't have a flatspot. The trigger pack was modified nicely, & everything looked fine. Didn't matter as the gun still failed to cycle. The gun owner thanked me as he had no idea how to take the gun apart. I told him to contact PTR to have them fix the gun. It's a shame that gun was such a filthy mess inside. Tons of black goop. Hope they fix it right. GARY N4KVE
    Last edited by N4KVE; 11-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    Today a guy came into the gunshop where I work with a PTR built .308 pistol. I usually work in the "assault weapon" section, but today I worked at the range desk. Upon inspecting the weapon, I told him I own a Vector V-51P. I looked in & the gun had a bolt gap of 1/4". The carrier wasn't fully forward, so the owner gave it the "HK slap" & the gap seemed fine. However he did say the first time he fired the gun, it would jam every time. Sure enough, 10 minutes later he came out to the range desk, & asked me to look at the gun as it was still jamming. I noticed the gun was filthy before he shot it, & he was using commercial Hornady ammo. I tried a few shots, & the gun was jamming, & not even ejecting the spent case. So I told him the gun was totally filthy, but I took the whole gun apart & oiled everything as I couldn't start spraying brake cleaner on the range. The gun came apart easily, & the pins came out without any tools. The bolt was marked PTR, but the carrier, & locking piece were unmarked, so I don't know who made them. However every foreign carrier I have seen was marked on the flat spot, but this carrier didn't have a flatspot. The trigger pack was modified nicely, & everything looked fine. Didn't matter as the gun still failed to cycle. The gun owner thanked me as he had no idea how to take the gun apart. I told him to contact PTR to have them fix the gun. It's a shame that gun was such a filthy mess inside. Tons of black goop. Hope they fix it right. GARY N4KVE
    Ran into the gun owner yesterday. He sent the gun back to the selling dealer, & took a totally different rifle in exchange. Don't know what kind, but he seems to be happy now. GARY N4KVE

+ Reply to Thread

Links