+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Range Report - HK USP Expert 45 ACP

Default Range Report - HK USP Expert 45 ACP

This was posted somewhere else too so my apologies if you're seeing it again.
    I meant to do this review for a while. Bought this gun from Turners over a year ago for just over $1,000 OTD. Shot 50 disappointing rounds in the summer of 2010 and put it away. I didn't find out front sight was loose till it came off in the winter of 2010. Just got it back from HK a few weeks ago with a factory test target of a 2.15" group at 25 yards.

I went to Insight Shooting Range in Artisia last night. The good thing was the 25-yard range. the bad thing was the bench not suitable for serious bench resting and the target holder took a long time to stop swinging and bobbing around.

The gun felt large... sights sat high and so did the bore axis. The massive slide felt somewhat cumbersome compare to my Beretta, 1911 and P220. Grip area didn't feel overly large compare to other double column autos. In fact, its 5.6" grip circumference (under trigger guard) is close to Beretta 92's 5.75", P220's 5.5" and 1911's 5.25". I like the ambi magazine catch/release paddle and how the strong hand middle finger is firmly up against it. It's designed and placed such a way that you won't accidentally release the mag and you can operate it using trigger finger.

Action feels a little griddy when cycling the slide. It's good but just not as smooth as Beretta 92, P226/220 series. Trigger pull is measured at exactly 4.75#s & breaks fairly crisp w/o noticeable creep. The over-travel stop is adjusted exactly a hair past the let-off. My only gripe is the long trigger reset. The reset is 90% length of the single action pull. The take-up is 4/5 of the full single action trigger pull. A good reset would be about 2/5 of the take-up or 50% less than it is now. The frame mount ambi-safety is positioned perfectly. It allows for cocked & Locked mode and lets you load and unload with the safety on.

Barrel fits the slide like a custom 1911. The O-ring removes the play up front and the hood to bolt face fit has .003" lateral play and no 'fore & aft' movement. Slide and frame fit is also good with about .007" lateral play and almost no detectable vertical movement in battery. The only thing I hate is the proprietary HK USP accessory rail.

Reliability is perfect so far with about 300 rounds through it. Shot a total of 120 rounds last night w/o malfunctions. These 2 loads are fairly hot for my standards but it didn't feel harsh or abrupt with this gun. I believe the double recoil spring system really works with heavier loads. You'd start to feel that really stiff buffer (2nd) spring when slide is cycled with bolt face 1/4" past the magazine.

I had 2 test loads both using:
    Bullet: Nosler 185 JHP.
    Brass: mixed headstamp trimmed to .890"+- .001".
    Primer: Fed 150 LP
    Crimp: .002" with Lee Factory Crimp Die. I had the sizing ring enlarged so it doesn't resize the loaded round.

Batch 1 - 50 rounds with 6.0 grains of Bullseye.
    Batch 2 - 50 rounds with 6.4 grains of Bullseye.

I shot kneeing, benched the gun with 2-hand hold resting magazine floor plate on a sandbag. The muzzle end was unsupported. it's not the best way but good enough for load testing. All groups shot at 25-yards using the factory iron sights.

here are the groups.... swinging target and human error included. Average group size: 1.72".

This 10-shot group was shot standing, off hand, isosceles, 2-hand hold, unsupported at 25 yards, about 1 ~ 3 seconds per shot, 2x5-shot strings.
    GCC
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Glad it's working out for you now! I just got mine in .45. I'm in SoCal too. Gonna shoot it next week after xmas. absolutely love it .

Last edited by williamthewolf; 12-20-2011 at 06:52 AM.
    -W

tensnxs - do you prefer the plain mag floor plates to the finger groove ones?

I have no preference when it comes to shooting at the range. But I prefer finger-groove ones for tactical situations or practice because I can 'feel' the mag presence with my support hand pinky.
    Last edited by tensnxs; 01-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Nice groups at 25 yards. I wish I could shoot that well unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by tensnxs View Post
    I have no preference when it comes to shooting at the range. But I prefer finger-groove ones for tactical situations or practice because I can 'feel' the mag presence with my support hand pinky.
    Thanks for the input. I put 825 rounds through my new Expert through the New Year weekend. Absolutely love it. Mine came with 2 finger groove mags and I like them for the reasons you do. They feel right and I'll order more in that style. Every store in Los Angeles is sold out of full size USP 45 10 round mags. I'll have to order online.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads