HKPRO Forums banner

HK45 and Glock 30; still adjusting to HK45 mag release. No ammo issues

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Larry V 
#1 ·
My third trip to the range with my HK45 was a success. I now know that the magazine release issues I had and still have occasionally are with my grip, not the HK45. I have large hands and long fingers, I'm just going to have practice more due to the placement of the mag release on the HK45. I love the gun and it performed flawlessly. I also solved some ammo questions I had and have heard discussed on some forms. I fired the controversial Hornady TAP FPD 45 Auto+P in 230 gr JHP; the HK 45 fired them with no problems with feed, ejection, or feeding them while mixed in with other ammo (Remington 230 gr JHP, Winchester PDX1 Defender Elite 230 gr JHP PD, Remington Ball 230 gr, and Winchester White box 230 gr JHPs). I fired in SA, DA, with no magazine inserted, and most combinations from 1 round up to 10. I also fired with one hand (and was accurate) to get a real world feel for both guns. I actually like the Hornady TAP FPD rounds; they feel solid and well constructed (unlike the Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr I purchased on previous occasions). The Critical Defense rounds fired ok, I'm just not a fan of them. The Winchester PDX1 rounds are what I carry in my HK45 and Glock 30; the HK45 and Glock 30 love them and they seem to be more accurate than the other rounds I fired. For the Glock non-lovers, I have nothing but love for my Glock 30....it performed just as well as my HK45, and is about as accurate (my experience). Actually, I feel I'm slightly more accurate with my Glock 30; all of the "Brick" and "Block" references I hear about the Glocks are comical to me. I've owned a Glock 21 for years (recently sold to try something different) and the Glock 30 for about a year and a half...the Glock 30 is still my carry gun, riding in a DeSantis IWB holster. Yes, as often stated by some with their favorite carry weapon, I sometimes forget it's there. When I order a good, comfortable holster for my HK45, I will begin to carry it as well. Now that I understand I have to work on my grip to avoid mag release issues, I am considering a compact HK. The USP 45 compact or the HK45C. For my first two HK's, I didnt want two guns that are almost identical in appearance (except length), so maybe the USP. To be continued.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice. I have looked at getting an Hk45 or maybe a USP45c. I have a glock 30sf with a decent trigger job and xs 24/7 sights that I carry daily in a crossbreed holster. I think the octagonal barrel is what makes it so accurate. It is very surprising accuracy for a compact in my opinion.

#5 ·
Thanks for the response; I'm still amazed at how the G30 shoots accurately with all the different types of ammo I've fired, and as you stated...for a compact. I'm debating on whether to purchase a USP 45c or maybe a USP full sized 45. I may end up like most of the HK veterans on this forum, have a collection of HK's for all purposes. I love my HK45, and as you've probably read a few times on here, it feels just right in my hand. I changed my backstrap from the small sized one that was installed from the factory, to the medium backstrap that was included as an option. The medium seems to help me with the magazine release issues. I'll have to lookup the xs 24/7 sights you have on the G30 sf; I havent done a lot of research on sights as I have handguns. If you havent read the International Special Operations Magazine (Kommando) dated Dec 2011/Feb 2012, check it out. It has a few articles and pics of the HK USPs used by Spec Ops.

#4 ·
I had similar issues with my HK45 and adjusting to the mag release. I'm not sure which digit you use, but after some reluctance, I started using my index (trigger) finger to sweep downward. With this method and using my support side thumb to hit the slide stop/release, it is easily the fastest reload sequence of all of my pistols despite my relative inexperience.

I'm still a little sketchy on using this method for a tactical reload, so we'll have to see.

Hk/Walther mag release - M4Carbine.net Forums

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I will check out the link. My problem is that my grip is high; while my index finger is on the trigger and my right thumb (I'm right-handed)is parallel with the trigger guard/magazine release on the left side of the pistol...my middle finger rests right under the trigger guard. I assume this or my index finger moving down on the trigger during recoil, causes the unintentional mag release.

#7 · (Edited)
will try to find a copy. My friend has a full sized USP 45 and it is a nice piece, big but nice. It is sa/da and with the hammer down the trigger is mega long and heavy. I would like a usp compact with the LEM trigger I think, but the HK45 is looking damn nice. If you get the USP please let me know how they compare to you.

The sights are the lollipop or i style like sig has on many guns. They make a big dot which I had at first but I went to the 24/7 instead. Both made the same but the sights are a little smaller on the 24/7. They are bright and super fast to me. anything close up you just put the top of the front sight just under where you want the bullet to go and it does. If you are a ways out use the front and rear to dot the "i" to me it looks like a little lollipop and put the front sight over what you want to hit. Sounds complicated typing it, but if you shoot plates or multi targets at say 25ft you are just using the front sight and it is wicked fast compared to stock IMO. I will snap a pic of them on my dirty gun if you like.

Just like you I had a 21 for years also. I sold it last year. It was just riding in my jeep and pointless after getting the 30. For both guns I have (well had in the 21 instance) .22 kits to practice drawing and firing and just cheap time with my gun in my hand. Plus when I take a girl or someone to the range who hasnt shot before or much they love the way that 30 feels in their hand and the quiet no recoil of the .22s. I have factory 30 mags, 21 mags, and a couple of the 27 round mags for it. I keep one of the 27's in the bottom part of the console along with a extra 21 mag with grip extension on top of the console and of course the 10+1 in the gun plus another 30 mag. Thats 61 rounds of 45 that I can count on god forbid I ever need anything like that. plus an extra box of talons in the glove box.

You think you will transition to the HK as your carry gun as you get used to it?

#8 ·
Sounds like you have it all covered. I looked up the sights; I will explore them a little more later. I will let you know if I get one of the USPs and how it compares to the HK45. Have you read the 50,000 round endurance test for the HK45? Just go to Google or another site and put in keyword "HK 45 endurance test." It breaks down the weeks it was tested, I believe it was 50,000 rounds in 37 weeks. Also there's a review of the HK45 on the Handguns Magazine website for February 2012; he talks about the LEM trigger. I'm not sure if I'm ready to stop carrying my Glock 30 as my carry gun (old reliable). I have so much confidence in it and it's ability to be there when I need it and stop the threat instantly. I may slowly transition and eventually carry both. I must say, I love them both and yes, the HK45 is a lot slimmer, but also a lot longer. I'll let you know. And as you mentioned, having the option to use larger capacity mags of 45s are a plus for the Glock 30.

#9 ·
I love my Glock 30 and with 10+1 and 13+1 capability it has been my SHTF gun. Recently there was a region-wide power outage a few weeks ago. Concerned about potential looters I carried a few firearms concealed, a Glock 23, XDM 9mm compact, Sig P238 and a G 30 (3 on me and one in a backpack). Strange how I opted for capacity over accuracy (I shoot 1911s more accurately at longer distances). Anyways, when I get an HK, it will be in the Backpack, and I'll carry more 45 ACP pistols.

#10 ·
good stuff.

I just realllyyyy wish HK had magazines that took a little bit more... 10 rounds in the HK45? ppffftttt... that's the only reason I wouldn't carry it for duty. 12+ for .45 is my magic number. I wish people got smart and did it like the FNX-45 with the 15 round magazines.

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have a G30 SF and the USP compact. 45 and I shoot the G30 a little better than I do the HK. Both are very accurate but the G30 is a tack driver for me. It's my primary carry weapon and I barely know its there when I carry it. I love it but I think too many are put off by the look, they don't realize they are missing out on a great gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.