+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Follow-up / USPc 45 trigger springs

Very Senior Member

Default Follow-up / USPc 45 trigger springs

I had a chance to get out to the range this afternoon, so I went and shot a few magazines with the USPc 45 I just worked on. I wanted to test my gunsmithing abilities, as this is the first trigger work I've done on an HK. There's a picture of the springs which were used in my original thread in the handguns section, if anyone is interested in a picture of what was there. Originally, it had a small problem with the trigger reset (wrong spring, it came to me with a P30 light spring, which didn't function reliably), so I put back the heavy spring it came with and tried shooting it. I didn't like the trigger pull at all. It was very hard compared to my P30LS V1 in .40 S&W, so I sent away to HKParts for the light TRS & FPBS. I installed these earlier in the week and today was the first opportunity I had to try things out. It is much improved from before. The reset is still plenty snappy for my taste, the pull is nicer, softer, and I'm shooting it a bit better than I did last time with the heavy spring in place. All in all it is much improved and more fun to shoot.

I did have one light primer strike (WWB box of 100 / 230 grain ball ammo from Wally's World). Tried pulling the trigger in DA a couple of times and the dimple looked to be much smaller than on the other fired cases after I let it sit and ejected it from the chamber. The primer appeared to be recessed a bit more than normal in the case head, so it is possible that the primer itself was hard, the recess was out of spec, or it was just a bad shell due to lax QC issues in manufacturing. I certainly wouldn't consider this ammo for any type of HD work. It's fine for going to the range and it was good practice for a bad round drill, but this is the first time I have ever had a failure to fire with any of my 3 HK's, first time for everything I guess. I would have to chalk it up to the manufacturer, since I have heard this complaint before with the cheap Winchester ammunition. I'm going back to Federal, Blaser Brass or Fiocchi for range practice & will be using Federal HP's for my carry rounds.

Here are two pictures. First was slow fire at 5 yards just to see how the trigger was working (I was lucky), next is a bit of rapid fire, not great but good enough as this is the "small" silhouette target, so it is about half of normal size. I do like the way the USPc fits my hand and carries, smaller than a full size USP, but still nice to shoot.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Did you install the nickel plated flat spring? Worth a shot
    WRITE ANYONE WHO REPRESENTS YOU AND VOICE YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTED RIGHTS!!!

Criminals, by definition, are citizens that do not follow laws. How will a new law stop criminals from obtaining and using firearms?

PROFESSIONAL WEB SURFER

Nice shooting! Sounds like you are happy with the correct springs.
    HK: Yeah, I've got that!

Very Senior Member

I didn't install a nickel plated flat spring, and the Wolf 10# spring I have on order still hasn't arrived yet, so I'm waiting to put it in next. I'll be glad to finish the last box of WWB ammo and start using something better.

2-60, yes, I'm pleased with the spring swap and it does shoot better than before, now I just need more ammo & more practice!

dont put that 10#'er in. you will love it too much, lol. once i started dry fire practicing with my expert after the 10# HS install, i just prayed that it wouldnt give me light strikes. the match trigger with the 10# spring just rocks, i think its just at 8 lbs now for DA.

Very Senior Member

I got the 10# spring yesterday & installed it, big difference in the pull. Don't have a gauge, but it is certainly nicer now. Once the WWB is gone, I'll try some other types of HP to see, but hoping there won't be an issue with light hammer strikes because I really do like the smooth feel the trigger has now. It must have been the heavy spring in there, because there is a huge difference in how things feel, much better. Bought some snap caps last night & I'm enjoying the DA weight now, it just feeels better to me.

Vdub, have you had ANY issues with primers with the 10# spring since you installed yours? 45? Thanks, tim

Unrepentant HKHolic

How much of a difference does the nickel plated flat spring make? I was trying to figure out if that is what makes the pull smoother in the match triggers. Since the match hammers seem to be the same (both polished on the bottom) I figure the flat spring had to play a large role.

i havent had a single problem yet. granted i think i have put, @ 300 rounds of federal 230fmj's from wally world. still havent put any of my reloads through it yet, they have CCI primers so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    How much of a difference does the nickel plated flat spring make? I was trying to figure out if that is what makes the pull smoother in the match triggers. Since the match hammers seem to be the same (both polished on the bottom) I figure the flat spring had to play a large role.
    not sure how much of a difference it would make. i imagine it would make the break smoother and a little lighter. for the cost of the part, its worth it really. even if it doesnt do much for trigger feel, it would be a better protected part with the nickel plating

Very Senior Member

Finally had a chance to go back to the range for a bit more shooting with the USPc. Last time I was using some WWB and had one failure to fire with the original hammer spring. This time I had three, two of which were not able to fire with repeated strikes in DA mode, they were duds. I'm thinking about this 10# Wolff spring now, but I had zero problems with the CCI Blaser Brass cased 230 grain ball ammo I had with me as a test lot. Will try a box of the Federal HP stuff next time and then report back. I like the DA trigger pull with the new setup much better, and if it is just the WWB which is the problem, I will keep the 10# spring. Just FYI, these are the WWB from Wally's World and have the large pistol primers & pockets, shiny like steel. The Blaser uses a small primer & pocket which has a brass primer, so there is a difference in both the primer type, material & size. I find it curious that I had this problem with the heavy hammer spring, and it just became worse with the 10# spring in place.

Still need to do some more testing with different ammunition, but this combination is a pleasure to shoot and the trigger is much improved now. I'm too busy now for a few weeks to come to get to the range, but will post an update when I get out next and try some of the HP stuff from Federal I bought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links