HKPRO Forums banner

Range Report 9mm P30S V3 and Winchester PDX1 Defender Ammo

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Carrots 
#1 ·
I needed some personal defense ammo for my carry gun and bought some Winchester PDX1 Defender 9mm +P 124gr Bonded Jacketed Hollow Points. Paid just over $1 a round...ouch.

My normal range / plinking ammo is S&B 115gr round nose stuff. It's nice and snappy and I've got 1,500 rounds through this P30 with ZERO fails.

The PDX1 ammo functions smoothly despite the large cavity. I put 50 rounds through with zero fails. It feels just a tad bit snappier than the S&B and the box has it rated at 1,200 FPS and 396 foot pounds at the muzzle. Point of impact was consistent with my range ammo which was nice.

I'd say this ammo is good to go in the P30 and I'm going to carry it. Found a couple vids on youtube...one showed excellent expansion and the other not-so-much. The one with no expansion was shot through four layers of denim before the gel and it filled the bullet cavity preventing expansion. I'm not too concerned about bad guys wearing four coats, so I'm going with it.

Here is the blurb from Cheaper Than Dirt from 9mm Luger +P Winchester PDX1 Defender 124 Grain Bonded JHP Bullet 1200 fps 20 Round Box S9MMPDB

The new 9mm Winchester PDX1 Defender 124 grain +P is engineered to do one thing and that is to "stop the threat." At its core, the bonded jacketed hollow point bullet is engineered to maximize terminal ballistics, as defined by the demanding FBI test protocol. In fact this round was chosen by the FBI as their primary service round, and it is now available to the general public. So whatever you find yourself defending, this round delivers.

Muzzle velocity: 1200 fps
Velocity at 50 yards: 1095 fps
Muzzle energy: 396 ft/lbs
Energy at 50 yards: 330 ft/lbs
Uses: Personal Protection, Self Defense

See less See more
#2 ·
PDX1 is bonded Winchester Ranger repackaged and re-branded for the civilian market. It's good stuff, but you get a better deal buying it as Ranger in boxes of 50 instead of 20 round boxes of PDX1. Obviously finding either is tricky these days.

#4 ·
Are you certain of this? The last I heard, only the. 40 cal Ranger bonded was of the PDX line of projectiles and not the 9 mm... Not yet anyways. I recently heard this from a reliable source who happens to also be a Winchester ammunition retailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
I know that Winchester was planning to switch it over to the newer style bullet some time ago, but it is possible that this has not yet happened.

I'm sure with the 40 & 45, but not 100% with the 9. I should have made that clearer up top.

The terminal performance differences between the premium Winchester hollow point offerings are going to be pretty negligible though.

Anyhow we should probably be focusing on the gun, and not the ammo here. That's my bad.

And Spitfyr, that is Mr. "Hard Cheese" aka. Terry Thomas over < there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.