+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coharie Arms CA89 Full Size Pistol : Ordering, Break Down and Range Report

Max
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Thumbs up Coharie Arms CA89 Full Size Pistol : Ordering, Break Down and Range Report

Ordering: I picked up the phone at ~2pm eastern time and got a hold of Nickie (sorry if I spelt the name wrong) on the first try. I had never ordered from Coharie before and it was a good experience. She knew exactly what I wanted when I described it to her, answered my questions and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. I ordered 2 of these CA89 full size models. The first unit arrived at my FFL in about 8 days; the second in about 12 days from my order date. The unit shown here is the second one that came in. I got a call from Wendy that my order was shipping, and an email with tracking info on both orders. Very smooth process from start to finish.

Price: $1170 + $45 shipping

How it came:

It came in a thin but useful case, not sure what the case is made out of, but it is not heavy aluminum. But it is much better than a cardboard box. The delivery guys punched a hold in the case the first pistol came in. This one was undamaged.

Inside the case:

The case has a nice foam liner cut to fit 3 different size mags and the CA89 full size pistol, with a cutout for the A3 stock. Which will be useful as, this unit has a form 1 in its future.

The pistol itself:

Nicely made with good welds, in my opinion. Just a bit of light lubricant on and in the gun, as compared to my Vectors (see my other range reports) which are filled with that white "break in" grease that I found a bit challenging to clean out after the break-in period.

The gun came with 1- 30 round mag which fit snugly into the magwell. The other pistol had just a bit of play with it, similar to my Vector's magwell.

The mag itself is marked with a date code JH, but I do not know if it is an original H&K:

The mag loaded well and was otherwise undistinguishable from my Vector supplied mags. Both the mag wit the first and second CA89 were marked identically.

Here is a close-up of the stamping and the cocking tube:

The cocking tube felt good and had little to no play in it. The typical "HK slap" worked just fine chambering a round as did a gentle push off the ledge.

Disassembly took a bit of creativity, and was needed once at the range (I will discuss that later). I found that if you put the end cap between your tennis shoes on the ground and then pull the pistol up towards you, the cap comes right off. There is no real gripping surface like those found on the plastic end cap. I find that I do like the look of the metal end cap better than the plastic ones. I would not say the fit is off on these, but just very snug. Obviously, if you use my technique you must be very careful (as always) about the gun being unloaded; since it is pointed toward you.

Here is the backside of the end cap:

The trigger group then just slides off of the ledge:

fit is good and no play in the group.

The bolt then slipped right out:

Note: these photos are after firing 120rds, and there was a good bit of carbon on the head.

Flipping the pistol over with the guts out:

The serial number stamping slightly marks through, I have not noticed if this is typical with my other HK clones.

Here is a close-up of the magwell area:

The paddle release works well on this unit, but has a bit more play in the other pistol I have yet to fire.

At the range:

Loaded 4 mags completely full (30 rds each). Used a variety of ammo brands and saw absolutely no difference in performance. 120 rounds with only 1 stovepipe, round #60. The stovepipe was the last round of a Vector mag. I pulled the cocking handle back to release the brass and something happed that has never occurred before. The brass just disappeared. Yet it could be heard rattling in the gun. The cocking handle moved smoothly, but the brass had fallen into the front part of the trigger pack. I found that strange but I did have the pistol pointed up when first trying to dislodge the stovepipe. A quick disassembly and it came right out. The next mag went right in and 60 rounds of mixed ammo went through without an issue.

The target above was only a minor attempt to aim (I was more interested in breaking the gun in), with 60 rds at the head and 60 rds at the chest.

I found the sights to be very accurate at about 40ft. I prefer the Coharie HK sights over the ones that were drilled out to change the peep hole size in my Vector 89K size pistols.

Ignore the paste on targets, I was planning on breaking in my new GSG-5 Pistol on the same target but moved to a new one.

Overall I give this particular weapon a very positive review.

Next will be longer range shooting, compatibility with C-mag, and Form 1 to SBR. I will update as I have more rounds down her.

7-15-08 Update:

Added HK94 forearm to the pistol, fit was tight and went right into place:

Also, here is a closeup of the lugs:

Disclaimer: OK, this is an unbiased range report, please leave those "other conversations" we see to much of out of this report thread. Comments and questions welcome. Also, any photo is free to use as you like, however please just cite that it is from me.
    Last edited by Max; 07-16-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Updated

So uh....what ammo IS allowed to be used in that gun, and why aren't those particular brands allowed?

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSolly View Post
    So uh....what ammo IS allowed to be used in that gun, and why aren't those particular brands allowed?
    Well after you get more and more experience with shooting, you'll discover that those are the bottom three brands as far as most people are concerned. I do shoot Blazer sometimes, but not in any of my HK's. As far as imported loose ammo and reloads, shooting those will void your warranty in almost any quality firearm due to the extreme possibility of overpowered rounds or weak cases. I recommend S&B for range use. HK recommends it also along with others.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Names' Randy, but you can call me freakshow...

Great review and great pics......very thorough. I have a CA89 as well as the CA89k and PXP-10. I use all as sear hosts with the registered sears I have.

The CA89 I have is the latest CA pistol to my collection. I've had it out a few times and function has been flawless just like the others. Like one of your CA89s above, mine has a mag-well that allows for the slightest fore & aft movement of the mag. This has in no way affected its reliablity. It runs pof or german curved and german straight mags with equal reliability......same for Beta mags as well. Its a cool thing to do beta dumps with these guns.

My ammo of choice is wolf (115gr or 124gr) or my 147gr subsonic reloads.

My experience is these CA clones are a tremendous bang for the buck!
    Browning, Maxim, Vickers
    Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
    Real Machineguns

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjrphs View Post
    My experience is these CA clones are a tremendous bang for the buck!
    Same sentiment here. Even if you have to replace the bolt group for genuine HK, the Coharie guns are a great deal. TB has really gotten his forming/stamping/folding/welding right on these guns. The three-lug barrel mounts my SWR QD3K and Trident-9 perfectly.

Mine runs almost 100% on fullauto after just replacing the the extractor spring for a factory German HK mp5 9mm gold spring. I still get occasional failures to properly extract, which then cause a failure to feed. I will eventually replace the bolt group with a factory HK.

Mine is one of the early guns with the very thick paint jobs. I also plan to send it for a refinish.

If anyone is on the fence about picking up a Coharie CA89, do it now. They really are nice shooters and very reasonably priced.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSolly View Post
    Did you know..... even the HK USP manual states do not use military surplus, reloads, or remanufactured ammo, and the Mark 23 adds aluminum cased ammo to the list.

Not sure what their issue is with the Remington and WWB stuff, but even HK has the same warnings. That said, I'd still shoot gunshow reloads through it, just like I do everything.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

Dave - I agree with you on this, but being in TX and the Dallas area to boot. We need to realize we get better quality reloads then some other areas of the country! TX is a very pro gun state and I think that make the chace for either crappy ammo or parts very low. The word would spread to quickly! Especially out gunshows. I see the same guys in San Antonio when I go to a gun show down there occasionally.

Regards,

R.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by Hk51fan View Post
    Dave - I agree with you on this, but being in TX and the Dallas area to boot. We need to realize we get better quality reloads then some other areas of the country! TX is a very pro gun state and I think that make the chace for either crappy ammo or parts very low. The word would spread to quickly! Especially out gunshows. I see the same guys in San Antonio when I go to a gun show down there occasionally.

Regards,

R.
    To be honest, the gunshow reloads I do get are pretty crappy, and I've bought from 3 different vendors. With every single one of them, I always get 1% or 2% out of the 500 or 1000 round boxes I buy where the neck of the case gets crushed under the bullet when it's seated. They're easy to spot, but you have to look at every bullet as you load them into the mags. And I've missed one or two. It will strip from the mag just fine, but jam up in the chamber before the rollers lock. One time I just cycled the cocking handle and it was ejected, one time (during the HKPro subgun class, of all places) I had to take the stock and trigger group off and whack the cocking handle with the butt of the stock to get it out. I'd quit buying them, but they are a significant savings.

Banned

Wink

I ran into some of that about 10yrs ago. The stuff I've picked up the last few yrs has been great! I better knock on wood so I don't jinx myself.

Regards,

R.

Max - by the way. That's probably the nicest Coharie I've ever seen right out the box!! Good stuff! I might have to pick one up.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by checksixx View Post
    Well after you get more and more experience with shooting, you'll discover that those are the bottom three brands as far as most people are concerned. I do shoot Blazer sometimes, but not in any of my HK's. As far as imported loose ammo and reloads, shooting those will void your warranty in almost any quality firearm due to the extreme possibility of overpowered rounds or weak cases. I recommend S&B for range use. HK recommends it also along with others.
    I run winchester white box through my glock 17, only because the glock can pretty much handle anything

then again it's a glock so I don't much care :lol:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links