HKPRO Forums banner

What is the best suppressor for HK USP45 Compact Tactical?

39K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  PAHKer 
#1 ·
Guy who owns autoweapons.com (class 3 only) is local and insists I get an AWC Nexus II. However I read the KAC and Brugger-Thomet suppressors are the only ones that don't void the HK warranty. Silencertalk.com says the AAC Evolution 45 is good and AAC is coming out with the Blackbox. I also need to know which ones don't obstruct the sights. Level of suppression would be the primary criteria.

Sorry if I have too many questions but if I am to spend $800-$1200 on one I want to make sure I don't get buyer's remorse.

I'd appreciate any kind of info/feedback.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are an awful lot of opinions on this matter. By providing a little more information, you will be able to help narrow down the breadth of the selection process. First and foremost, you were told correctly. The Knight's and B&T cans are the only ones that are not warranty voiding. That doesn't seem to bother many folks.

You will want to choose between a light weight can and a can with a booster (LID device). On the light weight side, you're going to want one below the 7 ounce barrier. I've found that to be the point at which boosterless designs give me trouble.

What application are you contemplating? Is this just plinking at the range or at tin cans... or do you have a hunting application in mind. Weight and type of bullet make a big difference. Are you intending on shooting the can dry, wet, combination... First shot pop a big deal or not, etc. There are a LOT of really good suppressors available. Not every one is going to perform to expectations in every situation.

#3 ·
I am planning to use this in my backyard to save myself trips to the range. I don't want to attract attention from the neighbors so I'd want the quietest can available. I don't mind shooting wet to accomplish this although it'd be nice to be able to shoot dry with the same can if I use it elsewhere. No problems with having the LID device either as I don't want to worry about cycling issues. Since level of suppression is my primary criteria regardless of what it takes to accomplish this, my only other concern would be the first shot pop.

My secondary criteria would be for me to have usable sights with the can installed.

Hope this helps narrow down the choices!

#4 ·
Before I started doing anything, I would make arrangements to actually discharge a round through a can in your backyard (assuming it is legal to do so and you follow the safety rules...). You have not even mentioned the caliber that you want to suppress, so it's hard for me to give you some wide lines as to what to expect. You mentioned one of the .45 cans, so should I assume that it is a an HK .45?

So, are you wanting to put this can on a Mk23, a .45 USP Tac, a .45 USPc Tac, a 9mm SD...?

#6 ·
Here is an email I received from HK customer service in response to what silencer would not void the factory warranty on the uspct:

Knights Armament and Bruger-Thomet are the only approved suppressors for the FULL size Tactical and MK23. You would need to contact Knights or B&T to see if they are making a suppressor for the Compact Tactical. The full size suppressor could damage the Compact Tactical because of the weight and size of it. Make sure you get a suppressor made specifically for the the CT.

HK Customer Service
7661 Commerce Lane
Trussville, AL 35173
800-821-3021
205-655-7078 fax
www.hk-usa.com

Knights Armament does have a silencer that was developed specifically for the uspct, it is not however in production and they do not sell this silencer, here is a picture of it:

Now as far as the warranty goes, I don't think that you will have any problems with using a different suppressor. I just wanted to post what I knew to be HK's stance on this issue.

I personally have had experince with several 45 cans. I have fired side by side or owned: AWC Nexus I and II, Gemtech Blackside, Knights Tactical, AAC Evolution. If I were to do it over again I would purchase only the EVO or the Knights. They have proven to me to be the most reliable and quietest. The AWC cans in my opinion are ok but are a bit heavy and are not as quiet. The blackside will not cycle a single round on my uspct, so that wouldn't even be a consideration. I have never had a malfunction with the evo or the KAC on both my fullsize and compact tacticals.

Also one last thing to note, SWR does make a compact tactical specific silencer and I have heard alot of really great things about their HEMS II (fullsize model), I don't personally have any hands on experience with SWR so I can't comment as to their performance. I would however like to give them a try so maybe this would be something to look into for you as well.

#7 ·
Excellent weapon! I have one and use a lightweight can on it (no booster). I've found that the sights are already tall enough for most cans out there (HK got this part right). They are not perfect, but they are usable!

Before you select a can, put as many as 500 rounds down the pipe of the gun. Most weapons that have problems tend to have them when new. I don't know why (yet), but it's just something that I have noticed.

Stick with 230 grain FMJ for your plinking and give some of them a try to gauge the sound level and if it will be tolerable. My neighbors know when I have touched off a suppressed .45. Again, it will not sound like a regular .45, but it will sound like something.

Every single weapon system is going to behave differently for different folks. That's because there are a lot of variables that come into play that can change dramatically. If at all possible, try some cans before you send the ATF your hard-earned money. I let folks use my cans (under supervision!) quite regularly. A lightweight can is going to save you some money, but there are other options that *you* may find more desirable. The Knight's can is a great choice, too, but very expensive and often involves a lengthy wait.

Going the lightweight route on a compact will also help to minimize the weight balance thing that HK mentioned.

#8 ·
Also I forgot to mention, as long as you have the raised sights on your USPCT they will clear the cans I mentioned. As far as the blackbox goes it looks to be promising. AAC has delayed production of this can for the time being. And for your Class III dealer, I did the same thing on my first silencer purchase. I listened to the advice of my dealer and went with the Nexus. I was happy with it until I heard it fired next to another can that was quieter. Then I felt the other can and it was alot lighter. Since that experience I try to do my own research to make a decision. If you have the ability try to handle and fire as many different cans as possible before you make a decision. I hope this info helps, please let us know what you end up with.

#9 ·
This link suggests the Knights Tactical is KAC's suppressor for the Compact Tactical:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/kmc_tactical_suppressor_package.html

Your feedback on the KAC and AAC cans being the quietest are consistent with silencertalk.com test results but I was unsure about bias as my dealer pointed out the forum is owned by an AAC affiliate. He is directing me away from AAC because of lack of support/customer service however personally I would take my chances on a BMW with poor customer service than a Yugo with excellent customer service (maybe the latter needs servicing more?).

SWR may be good because I read it is owned by a former design engineer of KAC. I will let you know what I end up getting.

Thanks for the valuable input and photos, guys! The rest of you keep it coming.

#13 ·
Your feedback on the KAC and AAC cans being the quietest are consistent with silencertalk.com test results but I was unsure about bias as my dealer pointed out the forum is owned by an AAC affiliate. He is directing me away from AAC because of lack of support/customer service however personally I would take my chances on a BMW with poor customer service than a Yugo with excellent customer service (maybe the latter needs servicing more?).
Silencertests.com and Silencertalk.com are owned by Robert Silvers. He posts on both sites as "rsilvers". He's a design consultant for AAC.

Anyone claiming that AAC has poor customer service either has suppressors of competing brands in stock that need to move, or has never dealt with AAC's CS. They stand firmly behind their products.

#10 ·
And I apologize for not actually reading the whole title of the thread! I would have know it was going on a CT if I had paid more attention.

As far as the Internet forums, I take them all with a grain of salt. The human ear is going to have a tough time telling the difference between a db or two of difference. And the state of the weapon and ammo, etc. are all going to cause minor changes in performance. The most important thing that you can do is hear for yourself on your gun.

I can tell you that can "D" is the quietest can I've heard on a CT. But if it doesn't do it for you, then what good is my observation. Suppression can be a complex dynamic and results are not always consistent. It is fun, though!

#11 ·
KAC/SWR

I have a KAC on my MK23 and it's almost Hollywood quiet, especially wet at short distances. I have a SWR HEMS2 on my full size tactical, and its almost as quiet as the KAC, but much lighter and much faster aiming for quick aquisition shots. I never had any issues with the HEMS even if it is not approved by HK. Either can is a good choice for the full size, but I am not sure if this translates to the compact.

#16 ·
HK would have a hard time proving that a suppressor besides Knights or B&T caused damage or even that you ever used a suppressor onthe gun. If you send in a damaged USP to HK do you think they are going to just start out accusing you of using a AAC or SWR suppressor? Either the Evolution-45 or HEMS2 would be a good choice. The shorter version of the HEMS2 is going to be considerably louder.

#17 ·
Can anyone update me on HK's warranty stance with suppressors? Considering the relative scarcity and cost with the B&T and Knights .45 cans, I went with other options when I was deciding on one for my USPct. I now have a SilencerCo Osprey on the way and while I don't really care if my new can voids my warranty, I'd love to find out that it'll stay intact.

#19 ·
Aren't the KAC cans really heavy? I thought they were made completely of stainless steel? I have a Tirant 45 and it's a large can and I'd say right in the middle weight-wise. I don't think there is a better can on the market right how because you can clean the baffles, there are pistons for tons of threading and performance is top notch. The osprey is good too but the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't clean it.

Truth be told it's not that big of a deal. I shoot .22 through mine which is a little dirty but in the grand scheme of things you have to fire A LOT of rounds to actually get it dirty enough for a good cleaning.

#20 ·
Middle nothin', the Osprey and the Ti-RANT are the two lightest .45 cans on the market with the KAC being on the opposite end of the weight spectrum (correct, it's pretty heavy). I'm not worried about cleaning when it's designed to handle 5000+ rounds of fire before "needing" service and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Back on topic; warranty issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.