HKPRO Forums banner

(Range Review) Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA (Nicest Indoor Range I've seen)

14K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  iainb 
#1 · (Edited)
I took the time to go to Elite Shooting Sports today in order to add my wife to my membership. It was my first time there as I purchased the membership prior to their grand opening and wasn't sure what to expect. I was blown away by the overall classiness of the establishment as well as the politeness and lack of "stuck up" mentality among the employees; I felt compelled to write a brief review and share my initial thoughts.
As far as the review itself goes...be gentle, its my first time :fie:

Elite Shooting Sports (ESS) is located in Manassas, VA is hands down the most comprehensive and nicest indoor range in Northern Virginia and perhaps beyond. The owner was a 15yr NRA employee and was the head manager of the NRA range in Fairfax VA. In addition he has been shooting competitively for 25yrs and is an IPSC and IDPA Grand Master. It is apparent he used all of his experience from the NRA range and "what works and doesn't" when designing this facility. More importantly it seems he applied that same experience and logic to the facilities policies. A range's policies can be just as important as the facility itself in terms of their success and it's evident the owner is very pro 2A and eager to introduce new people to the sport.

*Being 65,000sq ft Elite Shooting Sports offers much more than just shooting lanes including: A retail/pro shop, full service cafe, full time gunsmith, simulator room, dojo, various classrooms, lounge/sitting areas, a metric crap ton of lockers, and tons of bathrooms. Oh yea, and a two story live fire shoot house for civilian classes and mil/leo training...

(Below was a rendering but as you can see above its identical in real life, just the shelves/inventory aren't fully stocked yet

*Speaking of shooting lanes ESS has the following: (24) 25yd lanes, (10) 50yd lanes, and (8) 100yd lanes...

*Range hours have been an inconvenience for me in the past due to my rotating days off and working nights. This isn't the case with ESS...
Monday-Sunday 8:00am-10:00pm
(0800-2200 for you rank and file folks)

*Their annual memberships and daily rates are very affordable and they even offer a month to month membership...
Hourly
$20/hr 25yd and 50yd ranges
$25/hr 100yd range
$10/hr for each extra person (max of 3 per lane)
Minor under the age of 18 sharing a lane shoot for free
(Little touches like this separate them from other ranges in the area)
ANNUAL
$350/yr ($50 for each family member)
$300/yr Mil/LEO/Fire Fighter (same family member rate)

*Things that stood out...
-Staff was very very nice, I simply asked an employee where a range was and he questioned if it was my first time there. Upon answering yes he took me and my wife on a tour of the entire facility.

-The massive excerpt from the Second Amendment as a focal point

-They allow all NFA items and full auto fire (they do reserve the right to verify paperwork)

-Can draw from strong side and appendix holsters

-I asked about chronograph use and one of the RSO explained not only was that acceptable, but part of the initial planning. You simply call ahead and give them a heads up and they will let you know when its possible (I'm guessing its dependent on how busy they are).

-Multiple targets are allowed on each lane, provided they are all eye level

-Granite countertop handwash stations outside of every range bay...classy

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow... That seems to beat Colonial (at least the one in Virginia Beach). My likes: holster draw on the line (not allowed at Colonial VB) and >18 yrs. old shoot for free. That's a damn good idea! I take my kid; I think it's free 'cuz I'm a member. How quick do those 100 yd. target carriers travel? Is it a purpose built building or something re-purposed?

#5 ·
That is a VERY nice range. I like the 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges and the ability to draw from the holster. That range has Colonial in Richmond beat also...for pretty much the same price for a basic membership.

#7 ·
I've been a member at CSA in Richmond for over a year and some of the items listed above are much preferred, including the 50 and 100 yd ranges, handwashing, draw from holster (currently you can only do it in a special range, during special times and with lots of IDPA members so you can't practice drawing), and multiple targets. If it were only closer.....

#9 · (Edited)
(Range Review) Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA (Nicest Indoor Range I've s...

Looks like a very nice facility. However, at this time full auto is not permitted during normal business hours. I was hoping policy had changed based on the review above but unfortunately it has not. On the plus side, the range does offer some neat features other local ranges do not. However, their policy on full auto is unfortunate for those who shoot MGs. See email below....

On Monday, November 24, 2014, wrote:
Hello Mr. [HKPhil],

Yes, this is still the case. Full Auto must be scheduled separate from normal business hours. We will not have full auto times available until after the New Year. Probably around February 2015 and we can try to schedule times for that.

Thank you for checking in on that information.

Kind regards,

Mandy Richards
Executive Assistant
Elite Shooting Sports

#20 ·
(Range Review) Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA (Nicest Indoor Range I've s...

@Clay Did you call ahead regarding the M16 or ask after you arrived?

Information I posted above is as I received it. That made it clear to me that it was allowed only if arranged ahead of time and that range time would likely be outside of regular business hours. I am curious how your experience compares. Please PM or email if you'd prefer.

I would like to see this range allow full auto during normal business hours (without prior coordination and assuming range capacity allows). The location of this facility is ideal for me as well and I would gladly pay a premium membership rate for an indoor range to shoot MGs.

#22 ·
Same for me on my FA MP5K suppressed (avatar). Called ahead and went in at 0900 on a Sunday. Took me to a separate range and shot from about 7 yards. They just want to make sure you won't tear up the range. I think if enough of us go in there, it will get easier. I let the two range officers shoot it and they both had a "blast":)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.