Thread: Moving To CA With Firearms

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Moving To CA With Firearms

A guy in the NFA Forum posted:

"I've research my options, and so far plan to do the following:

--Highcap mags (over 10rds) - disassembled and coming with me
    --HK94, 93, NFA etc. - either storage locally (about $50-100/month) or hopefully at a relative's in my own separate safe, covered in Triple Blox bags with 5yr CLP (free) A place like Scottsdale Gunclub is $35/month per gun, so it's just too much for something worth only $4k like an HK94.
    --Handguns - all coming (but buying what I want now)
    --Ar15's - thankfully I bought mostly LMT's (offlist), so they get bulletbuttons and come with me (the KAC ones and SBR's are banned and staying, sadly)
    --Ak47's - I may bulletbutton these, but the Arsenals are staying and going into storage
    --Bolt guns - coming
    --Masada, SCAR - will likely never get to own

Despite having a "collection" - I try to view guns as simple tools and view this as an opportunity to reduce some of the extra ones that I own.

You can actually take quite a bit with you (just not have it assembled), and a trip to Frontsite or another nice range for training is a relatively quick trip. There is a risk more items get banned, but that's a risk nationally you face as well."

In his first point "--Highcap mags (over 10rds) - disassembled and coming with me", how can that be? It is my understanding that mags over 10 rds are only legal in CA if you personally owned them in CA before the ban. If you sell them, it needs to be out of state and is illegal to import them even if they were made before the CA ban. If you move to CA you are not "Grandfathered" in. As I recall from the National AWB the mag body was the controlled part. Is that the way it is?

I live in Las Vegas which is only a few miles from the boarder. Is there a link to the regulations? I didn't see it as a sticky. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    In his first point "--Highcap mags (over 10rds) - disassembled and coming with me", how can that be? It is my understanding that mags over 10 rds are only legal in CA if you personally owned them in CA before the ban. If you sell them, it needs to be out of state and is illegal to import them even if they were made before the CA ban. If you move to CA you are not "Grandfathered" in. As I recall from the National AWB the mag body was the controlled part. Is that the way it is?
    He is able to do this because he is disassembling them. Therefore they are just parts and are THEN legally allowed to be owned. Magazines or magazine parts such as bodies have never been controlled in California or federally.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    I live in Las Vegas which is only a few miles from the boarder. Is there a link to the regulations? I didn't see it as a sticky. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Not sure what you mean by the above. If you were thinking about bringing a standard cap mag to Ca for use you cannot unless you are LE and a few other exceptions. HKPRO doesn't allow legal advice so I doubt there will ever be a sticky. Too risky, I can see some moron trying to file a lawsuit saying "Well, I was told".

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

In the post "Standard-cap magazine parts DOJ memo" there is a link http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ...2005-11-10.pdf in which there are questions about magazines put to the Attorney General in 2005 Bill Lockyer. The questions are answered in a letter from Alison Merriles Deputy Attorney General of the Firearms Division dated November 10, 2005.

During the Federal ban, you are correct that magazine parts were unregulated. But if you used a post 9/94 mag body to "repair" the pre ban magazine, you had to have the pre ban mag body or some kind of documentation that you did have a pre ban mag body that you "repaired" with the new body. If not, you could be charged with a felony for having a post ban hi cap mag.

In CA, my understanding is that as of 1/1/2000, any CA resident that owned a hi cap mag was "grandfathered" in so that owner could keep it. But after that date the owner of the hi cap would only be aloud to convey that mag out of state. It is also my understanding that it is illegal for one CA resident to convey another CA resident a hi cap mag after 1/1/2000. A CA resident doesn't need documentation that they owned the hi cap before 1/1/2000 in CA. But if a current resident was not a CA resident before 1/1/2000, how would it possible to be "grandfathered" in? Or am I mistaken?

I'm not thinking of bringing hi caps into CA, but since I live close to the border and could run into CA buyers. I wish to understand the law so I don't break it. Most everywhere that mags are sold, they say "no sales to CA". If it is legal for me to sell an item to someone "behind the lines", I would like to help if I could. By the same token, I don't want to do anything illegal.

I moved to Las Vegas from southern NH. MA still has their own AWB. It is modeled after the National AWB. So high cap mags post 9/94 are still illegal. I had several friends that lived in MA but shot at my club in NH. Again, like CA most mag sales companies would not ship to MA period. A couple of the MA resident members asked me if I would order some pre ban mags for them. It is legal to import hi cap mags into MA as long as they were made before 9/94. Once I checked in to what MA law said, I of course wanted to help my shooting buddies get the mags they wanted. I was asking as to the CA law, since I live near the boarder and there are lots of cars with CA plates here in the "valley". If a CA resident asked for help, I would know what I can do to legally help.

Scott

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are a few places that sell mag rebuild kits, I would just leave it to them. A lot easier that way.

Sponsored Links