SL8-1 G36 conversion in CA

Thread: SL8-1 G36 conversion in CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SL8-1 G36 conversion in CA

Hello,

I live in AL and I have 2 people from CA that are interested in my G36 conversion that I have for sale. I believe the G36/SL8 is classified as an 'assault weapon.' Is there a legal way for them to receive this rifle. I believe I have to ship from an FFL to an FFL and there has to be a Firearms Shipment Approval number to be sent with it. But can they still get a 'assault weapon?' I no longer have the original SL8 thumb hole stock but I have to 10 round mag/magwell.

https://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...G36-conversion

Anyone who has completed a transaction like this please share your knowledge.

Thank you,

Kyle
    HKless for now

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is legal to get a G36 conversion in Ca, SL8's too. If there is not a bullet button or raddlock or any other device that requires a tool to remove the mag then it has cannot be shipped complete. The serialized receiver has to go FFL to FFL. Typically what happens is once you get the money the receiver portion is shipped to the FFL the upper in this case and all other items are shipped directly to the buyer. You might want to let them know they need to cough up some extra cash for shipping if done that way, you shouldn't get stuck with it. If you are shipping any mag over 10rds it has to be sent disassembled in rebuild kit form. Not sure if you have ever seen a website from Ca selling a mag that says "G36 10/30" for example. Basically that is a mag that was a 30rd mag but has been modified to only hold ten rounds. Sounds silly, but it is life for some. If it has the single stack magwell or double stack is really irellevant. Kind of funny in Ca you can buy a HK41 but not a HK91, just because the 91 is banned by name. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM me. I really should get with xfilterx and make a FAQ for this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank IMTHESKI,

I was wondering about the shipping order you just mentioned. So I guess it will be up to the buyer to reassemble/modify the 30rd mag to stay legal.

Usually how long does it take an out of state FFL to get a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms before shipping?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phillik747 View Post
    Thank IMTHESKI,

I was wondering about the shipping order you just mentioned. So I guess it will be up to the buyer to reassemble/modify the 30rd mag to stay legal.

Usually how long does it take an out of state FFL to get a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms before shipping?
    The approval number is given instantly if done online. If your FFL isn't set up for it maybe 1-3 days to do that. It would be up to the individual to modify the mags. Sending them disassembled is perfectly legal as they are considered parts. Most G36 mags I have seen have been marked leo/mil only. So they buyer would be pretty dumb to put them together as 30rd'ers and claim he had them before the ban.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that is good to know. It's too bad that CA has such weird laws.

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links