Can I ship 13 Round HK to Calif?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I ship 13 Round HK to Calif?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can I ship 13 Round HK to Calif?

Feel free to move me to the appropriate forum if needed. Can I ship my P7M13 for sale with magazines to a California buyer through his dealer. He says his dealer is High Capacity FFL dealer. Does that mean I can ship the pistol and mags to him assembled? Thanks for the replies!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The last time I shipped 20 rnd mags to Cali, I dissassembled the bodies, floorplate, and follower as instructed by his dealer. This is how I understand that you have to do it. They have to install mag blocks or something at the dealer. I could be a little off on this though.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I live in Calif. The P7 M13 is not on the DOJ Roster so it will have to go through the SSE process his FFL should know this. There are several FFL's that specialize in this. The FFL in Calif. will turn the mags into parts kits. But I would take them apart and put them in a zip lock bag before you ship. My P7 M13 is currently in Calif. jail out in about a week.
    Last edited by chuckster62; 06-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can, but ffl will/should confiscate them. Hicaps are illegal in ca. Some residents think there's a loop hole termed as rebuild kits, but read the law carefully. Only pre-crime bill mags can be rebuilt and ownership prior to the bam must be verified.

Anyone in possession of hicaps with the corresponding firearm can be prosecuted for violating assault weapons ban. That's a felony.
    Last edited by California; 06-23-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    You can, but ffl will/should confiscate them. Hicaps are illegal in ca. Some residents think there's a loop hole termed as rebuild kits, but read the law carefully. Only pre-crime bill mags can be rebuilt and ownership prior to the bam must be verified.

Anyone in possession of hicaps with the corresponding firearm can be prosecuted for violating assault weapons ban. That's a felony.
    All High Cap Magazines are NOT illegal in CA!
    Post ban High caps CAN be converted to 10 round limit.
    Not illegal to buy,sell or gift high cap parts(kits)

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Possession of high capacity magazines in California is currently not a crime.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
    is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
    or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
    manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
    exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
    magazine.
    (c) (25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
    ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
    rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
    (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
    cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
    (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
    (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
    firearm.
    The law doesn't say anything about possession.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So sending it to any FFL in CA is legal for me to do. Its up to them to deal with the legality of possessing or selling the magazine portions of the pistol. And SSL certified FFLs can sell or transfer the magazines after they take the appropriate steps? Does that sound right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momoaz View Post
    So sending it to any FFL in CA is legal for me to do. Its up to them to deal with the legality of possessing or selling the magazine portions of the pistol. And SSL certified FFLs can sell or transfer the magazines after they take the appropriate steps? Does that sound right?
    Yes, that is correct.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster62 View Post
    But I would take them apart and put them in a zip lock bag before you ship.
    This is correct +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    Possession of high capacity magazines in California is currently not a crime.

The law doesn't say anything about possession.
    I'm not here to start some argument about CA gun laws or the correct interpretation of them, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Possession is implied under the law (any judge will agree with this assertion). Ignorance is not a defense in a courtroom. If a CA resident owns a "rebuild kit" (which are legal to own) and assembles that rebuild kit to create a magazine that can hold over 10 rounds of ammunition and if that individual owns a gun to which that magazine will fit and function (so long as the gun meets the criteria of what an assault weapon is as defined by the state of CA), then that individual has created an assault weapon and can be prosecuted. And by prosecuted, it could be either possession of, or intent to create an assault weapon.

Doubt me...try it, report yourself to the authorities, then see what happens.

A rebuild kit is not the loophole many CAs think it is. For example, if I own a Glock 17 (which is perfectly legal in CA) and go out and buy a rebuild kit and assemble it and end up using it to defend my home/family from a life-threatening intruder I will be prosecuted for possession of an assault weapon and probably more (firing assault weapon, manufacturing assault weapon, etc.).

It is true that all hicap magazines are not illegal in CA and it is true that possession of hicap magazines in CA are not always illegal, but the law is very clear on who can own hicaps.

Prior possession is key (pre-1994) with verifiable proof of ownership during the good years. That's what "grandfathering" means. Age 21 (handgun) in 1994 is now 40 in 2013. Anyone younger with hicaps (handgun) never legally possessed them before 1994...food for thought.

Responsible gun ownership begins with safety, but ends with knowing what the laws are in your respective states and obeying them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links