Driving the California freeways with a hand gun on-board
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Driving the California freeways with a hand gun on-board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Driving the California freeways with a hand gun on-board

This question is addressed to those that drive a car in California with a hand gun on-board.

Reviewing the applicable information on the internet I've concluded that any hand gun must be transported in the trunk of a car. If your car does not have a trunk (pick-up, SUV, etc...) then it must be unloaded, in a locked hard case and not readily accessible. How about ammo? I see that ammo and guns cannot be stored together in the car. How do you keep the ammo separate?

I'm not asking for legal advice but would like to know how California drivers transport their guns in their car. What makes you guys feel comfortable when driving in California with your sidearm?

Cheers, VegasPier

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

From the DOJ, Unloaded gun. says nothing about ammo.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

You should re post this in the Calif. section or have the mods move it.
    Last edited by chuckster62; 01-05-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I turned 18 in California and grew up learning about the gun laws there so that I would never get in trouble with them. I usually transported any weapon that I had in a range bag or case with it locked. It could be a backpack, a suitcase, or a gun satchel. I always transported them in my trunk. This just let the officers know that I did not have immediate access to it if they ever looked in my trunk. When I got a pick up truck, I put a gun rack in the rear window. I would transport my rifle or my shotgun right behind my head but had no immediate access to the ammunition. I only got stopped once and it was in the canyon on a dirt road in the national forest. The cop saw that I could not get to my ammo very quickly, and he just made sure that the weapons in the gun rack were unloaded. As far as pistols went, I would do the same thing and lock them in a bag or a satchel or container in the trunk and have the ammo in a different container in the trunk. Believe it or not, some cops are pretty cool when it comes to that sort of thing. If you are upfront with them and let them know that there is a gun in the trunk but you're transporting it to the range to go shooting or back home then they really don't care. They just don't want to find it in your console--> loaded. You can lock your pistol in your glove box, you can lock your pistol in your console. But make sure they are not loaded and make sure that you do not have any loaded magazines. A loaded magazine and California constitutes a loaded weapon. I know that's BS, but that is how they see it. I did not stay there long enough to get my carry conceal permit, my parents still have theirs even though they are now in Texas. It is possible to get a carry concealed weapon permit in California, it just may be difficult to deal with certain law enforcement officials. There County Sheriff actually encouraged people to get a CCW permit. If you can get or already have your CCW permit in California, the rules do change to help you. You can carry whatever weapon that is allowed on your card without unloading it or putting it in your trunk. Without going into all of that, my advice to you for transporting any pistol or rifle if the just have it in the trunk or you can't get to it and locked in a separate container either hard or soft. I don't know the rules on what they want you to do now as far as the case goes, but again it's just to let the officers know that it is locked up separately from your cell or the ammunition. And once you do leave your house with a rifle or other firearm in your vehicle, make sure that you are going straight to a legal place. Buy legal place, I mean that you are in direct route to someone's home, a gun range to shoot, or a gunsmith. You do not make stops like you are running errands when you have a gun in your vehicle in California. Don't stop to get gas, don't stop to eat lunch, and don't stop to go shopping at Sears. As long as you are in direct transportation between point A and point B they cannot fault you for transporting a firearm as long as it is a legal firearm. And drive careful and you won't have any problems.
    Be excellent to each other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Glove box is a no no. Even if it is unloaded. Rules have changed since you left, mostly worse a few better.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

My impression of California is that everybody is waving a gun out the window on the freeway ;)
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    My impression of California is that everybody is waving a gun out the window on the freeway ;)
    Only in certain neighborhoods.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I drive a mini van, I store guns, ammos and magazines in separate case/box and lock them. Then I lock the keys for those boxes in another box. I also drive very carefully when I have guns and ammos with me to avoid be stop by CHP or cops.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dude u can store loaded mags and the handgun in the same locked box. Key word is locked and not the glove box. Just don't have the mag inserted.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbsmarine View Post
    Dude u can store loaded mags and the handgun in the same locked box. Key word is locked and not the glove box. Just don't have the mag inserted.
    Exactly how I travel with mine. Locked box in trunk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kommiefornia, its a beautiful state but its full of libtards
    I have been where you fear to be
    I have seen what you fear to see
    I have done what you fear to do
    All these things I have done for you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links