HKPRO Forums banner

California CCW?

11K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Nowhereman 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a CA carry permit?

Are they common?

#3 ·
CCWs in CA are granted by county.

Generally speaking, for a private citizen (which I assume you are) if you reside in a California county with a population larger than 10,000 it is near impossible to get a CCW. All CCWs are granted by the county sheriff, and chances are if you don't know the sheriff, you aren't getting your CCW.

#6 ·
CCW Permits

As you have already found out, the county of residence is going to be the biggest determinant of whether or not you can get a permit. Rural counties tend to be a bit easier than urban counties. My wife and I will be renewing a CCW shortly after returning to Central Calif. from the Bay Area. It was next to impossible to get one in the Bay Area but much more reasonable here in the Central Valley.

You can also have one issued by the Chief of Police in the city of your residence.

It is definitely worth having a CCW if you intend to carry a loaded and concealed firearm from time to time.

Trapper

#8 ·
I've got one, and have residency in another state as well. I have a Utah permit, and I'm disappointed how the California permit works. For example, in Utah or any state that honors Utah's permit (about 30) I can carry any handgun I own, or any handgun period such as a friend's gun. In California I can only have 4 handguns on my permit, and each time I add one I have to test with it.

#11 ·
Just to show you how slow I am, I just realized you're a fellow Calgunner. *facepalm* Nice to see you here.

Obviously I'm hopeful about the shall-issue change here, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I have a feeling our only hope is post-Nordyke legal challenges.

#17 ·
THE WEB SITE FOR GREAT STATISTICS IS http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
UNDER FIREARMS GO TO STATISTICS IT WILL SHOW YOU EVERY COUNTY IN CA. FROM 1987 TO 2007 AND HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE CCW'S. IT IS AMAZING. YOU CAN ALMOST TELL WHICH COUNTIES ARE DEMOCRATS AND WHICH ONES ARE REPUBLICANS.
KAISER-MAN
PS THERE IS A NEW SHERIFF IN ORANGE COUNTY AND SHE CANCELLED ALL CCW'S GO FIGURE
this is ridiculous. we are being denied our rights. i lived in nc and had ccw permit. the sheriff in wake county was on record stating that if you met the requirements and you wanted a ccw permit, he would do everything in his power to see that you got it quickly. it took only a week to get mine there.

then i moved to the bay area (job thing, had to do it) and i find that cali is so freaking anti gun. i now have a FL out of state resident permit. no good in cali, but at least it's valid for carry in about 30 odd states, which includes NC.

#13 ·
She didn't cancel them, but there was a review of the good cause for existing permits. Some were canceled upon review.

That said... I think the entire state should be shall-issue, so you can guess what I think about her "review" process.

#14 ·
CCW FROM JACK BEAR

I JUST CAME ACROSS A WEBSITE FOR OPEN CARRY IN CALIFORNIA AND IT HAS ALOT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES PANTIES IN AN UPROAR. GO TO www.californiaopencarry.org/ AND CLICK ON AGENCY MEMOS FOR OPEN CARRY. THE WAY I READ IT YOU CAN OPENLY CARRY A WEAPON IN A HOLSTER WHILE IN YOUR CAR. THE AMMUNITION MAY BE CARRIED IN A SPEEDLOADER, MAGAZINE, OR BELT ATTACHED TO THE HOLSTER. THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA IS TRYING EDUCATE IT'S LAW AGENCIES ON HOW TO HANDLE THIS SITUATION.
I DON'T KNOW QUITE WHAT TO THINK, BUT IT MIGHT COME IN HANDY....

#16 ·
Came here to say this. If getting a CCW permit turns into a headache, just go with the open carry in California.

If you do have any contact with a deputy of the County Sheriff about your open carry, you can always follow up with a letter thanking the Sheriff for his deputies being thorough and professional when verifying that you are legally open carrying. Of course, that's assuming that the deputies are professional.

End your letter to the sheriff by stating that you'd prefer to carry concealed so as not to alarm people and to avoid wasting law enforcement time to deal with "man with a gun" phone calls, but you can't carry concealed because he/she turned down your CCW permit application. Explain that the denial of your CCW permit is why you went with the less appealing option of open carry.

#22 ·
I wish more people would actually TRY to get one. Just about everyone I have heard talk about CCW in Ca all say it is "hard" or "you can forget about that one". Why not try? The worst they are going to do is deny your application and you are out whatever they charged. You will never know until you go forward with it and put in your application or whatever it is in CA. In AZ I took a day long class & fired 10 rounds (5 at 5 yards and 5 at 10 yards) around a month later a shiny new CCW license showed up in my mailbox. I know in CA the process is a little different, but the end result could be the same for you. Why not put some effort into it and be the first guy on your block with one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.