VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Enhanced Precision Products "Carry" Texture for H&K USP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Enhanced Precision Products "Carry" Texture for H&K USP

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Enhanced Precision Products "Carry" Texture for H&K USP

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been recovering from a grade one sprain to the radial collateral ligament on my right hand (my dominant shooting hand for pistols) so my sincerest apologies go out to both Mr. Logan Fowler at Enhanced Precision Products and also to the HKPRO community for the delay in posting this review.

The H&K USP shown above belongs to me, with Surefire MR-09 Rail, and the Enhanced Precision Products “carry” texture.

THE LONG STORY SHORT:

The difference of improvement in comfort and control with the Enhanced Precision Products “carry” texture on the H&K USP versus the factory grip configuration is a million-fold. This is one of the biggest and most profound breakthroughs I have ever encountered having used the H&K USP exclusively as my carry/defense pistol since January of 1994, and was definitely worth the money. I will be sending ALL of my current H&K USP’s, and any future H&K USP’s, to Enhanced Precision Products for this excellent upgrade. Comparing the Enhanced Precision Products “carry” texture on the H&K USP grip to the factory standard grip is like comparing a Ferrari to a Daihatsu.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: For the many of you who may have originally chosen, or otherwise switched to the H&K P2000, P30/P30L or VP series pistols because you disliked the factory grip profile of the H&K USP,
    THIS MODIFICATION CAN CAUSE YOU TO SERIOUSLY RE-EVALUATE THAT DECISION.

THE SHORT STORY LONG:

My first ever handgun was a Sig-Sauer P226 in 9mm, which I used from June 1990 to December 1993. If I could not have an H&K USP or other H&K handgun, I would still likely take a Sig-Sauer P226 (or perhaps a Walther PPQ).

In December 1993 I rented the H&K USP40 full size for the very first time at the Targetmaster Indoor Shooting Range in Garland, TX, along with one box of Winchester 180-grain FMJ. Despite this being my first ever time firing a .40 S&W handgun, and my first ever time firing a H&K USP, my score was better than what I had ever achieved with the Sig-Sauer P226 over the course of the last three years, and the recoil from the H&K USP40 felt like a 9mm, which was absolutely astonishing. The next gun show in January of 1994 I sold the Sig-Sauer P226 and purchased a H&K USP9 full size. I went on to add additional full-size models in .40 S&W and .45 ACP, and have used nothing else over the past 21 years. I lived through the original introductions of the H&K USP Compact, P2000, P30/P30L, and most recently the VP9/40, and despite all of this, also obviously including some very impressive products from competing firms (Walther PPQ for example) I have stayed with the H&K USP.

The accuracy, reliability, and recoil abatement on the H&K USP are nearly unsurpassed in my opinion, but there is one aspect of the pistol which has always been a huge burden for myself and many other devotees of this platform, and that is the factory grip. I HATE the standard factory H&K USP grip with the cheese-grater checkering on the front and backstraps. Many others share this opinion, and have either passed on the H&K USP, or switched from the H&K USP to a P2000, P30 or VP9, because of their dissatisfaction with the grip. It is not by accident or coincidence that all H&K pistols released since the H&K USP have had different ergonomics.

I always worked around the problem with the H&K USP grip by using the grip sleeves, having tried the Hogue, Pachmayr (standard and Tactical Grip Gloves), and the Uncle Mikes version. For those who wonder or are interested, the Pachmayr standard large with finger grooves was the best of the rubber grip sleeves which I tried, at least for me. I also liked the Hogue, but I took a razor blade to cut out the palm swells. I also used Brooks Tactical Agrip over the Pachmayr grip sleeve to keep in in place and add additional comfort and control. This worked very well for me (I am a VERY big fan of Brooks Tactical Agrip), and recently I have also tried wrapping the H&K USP grip in electrical tape minus the grip sleeve, and in doing so, I have to wrap the tape around the grip three times to dull-down the factory checkering to the point where it does not hurt my hand.

The grip-restippling in “carry” texture done by Enhanced Precision Products is a real game-changer which allows me to FINALLY get rid of the grip sleeves. I cannot say enough about how amazing this grip feels and functions, and how it improves an already excellent platform on the H&K USP. I wish the grip would have been done in this fashion back in January 1993 when they released the pistol.

SO WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY FEEL LIKE?
    In this case, with the “carry” texture, which is the lease aggressive (compared to the “ENT”, the “medium” texture, and the “aggressive” texture, also offered by Enhanced Precision Products) it feels like the side-panel grips on the Sig-Sauer P226 (MK 25) issued to the Navy SEAL’s, shown here: Sig Sauer P226 MK25 9mm Navy NIB FREE SHIPPING : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com and the Sig-Sauer P228 (M11-A) issued to the Navy and Air Force, as shown here: THREADED Sig M11-A1 P228 9mm Night SIghts 3 MAGS : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    This is perfect for me, and is exactly what I wanted. It is extremely comfortable and feels great in the hands. This texturing is not going to hurt your hands, nor is it going to rub against your clothes and leave a mark. It is also not going to hurt your hands during extended shooting sessions like the factory H&K USP grip does (at least for me).

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER H&K PISTOLS?
    I have several years of experience handling the other H&K pistols at local gun stores, local gun shows, and the firing ranges. The Enhanced Precision Products “carry” texture is extremely comfortable, I would rate it as very slightly more aggressive than the P30/P30L (which some on HKPRO have actually complained is not aggressive enough,) and much less aggressive than the VP9/40 or the most recent P30SK. It is (obviously) far less aggressive than the factory H&K USP & USP Compact. Again, it feels most closely like the side-panel grips on the Sig-Sauer P226 (MK 25) and Sig-Sauer P228 (M11-A1). I would rate the H&K USP with the Enhanced Precision Products “Carry” texture as tied with the H&K P30/P30L and the Walther PPQ for my absolute favorite polymer grips at this time.

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER GRIP STIPPLING MODIFICATIONS FROM OTHER FIRMS?
    There are many vendors who perform custom grip stippling modifications to polymer pistols, and most are very good. As a regular attendee of the Dallas Market Hall Gun show, I have had experience in handling a lot of pistols with grip re-texturing already performed, most notably from Robar, Boresight Solutions, and 610 Precision (great local guy), all of whom are great to work with, and all of whom I would give a solid “A+” rating. With that said, I like the stippling upgrade from Enhanced Precision Products best of all, even better than the other three aforementioned vendors, all of whom do superb work. The main reason for this is that (1) the grip re-texture from Enhanced Precision Products feels the least aggressive, and therefore gives me the greatest comfort and control, and (2) the Enhanced Precision Products grip re-texture seems to make the grip feel noticeably thinner in terms of the length and width, even though no material was actually removed from the frame during the process.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS MODIFICATION TO THE P30/P30L AND VP9 SERIES, ALL OF WHICH ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE SUPERIOR ERGONOMICS TO THE HK USP?
    I do not presently own any of these excellent pistols (and probably will not for a while having received this breakthrough modification to my H&K USP). I do honestly believe that this modification has the potential to make these pistols even better, especially with the VP9/40, which grip checkering is different from the P30/P30L, being slightly more aggressive.

This modification also gets rid of the lines in the grips of the P30 and VP9/40, which I would think would potentially make the grip more comfortable and uniform, and easier to use. If I ever did own a P30 or VP, I would most likely get the Enhanced Precision Products modification.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS:
    1) Along with the improvement in grip comfort and control, the Enhanced Precision Products “carry” modification significantly improves the H&K USP trigger reach and reset by enhancing the mechanical advantage (leverage) of the trigger finger by providing a superior grip. It literally makes the double-action pull feel like a “light” LEM (the HKPRO veterans and technically savvy H&K pistoleros will understand just how significant that comparison is) and makes the single-action pull feel noticeably better also, almost like a 1911 in terms of the shorter trigger reach.

2) With the standard H&K USP grip, I can only hold the grip for 45 seconds continuously before my hand starts to hurt because of the aggressive checkering on the front and back straps. With the Enhanced Precision Products “carry” modification, I can hold the pistol for over 15 minutes without any fatigue or discomfort (and after 15 minutes I discontinued the test.)

3) My draw stroke doubles if not triples in speed and comfort having received this modification (measured informally during dry-fire without electronic timer; the gripsleeve will slow this down if I do not get everything just right).

4) One-hand and weak-hand gripping capability is significantly increased as well. Hogue and Pachmayr Grip sleeves are great if you begin the with both hands on the gun, which may or may not happen in an actual crisis situation. The Enhanced Precision Products “carry” modification therefore provides an added measure of performance capability for one-handed and weak-handed firing and improved draw stroke when one may need it most.

5) Lots of people use a grip covering like electrical tape, Talon grips, or Brooks Tactical Agrip (my favorite) when they do not like the original factory grip, and believe that if using such a product, they do not need a grip-retexturing. The reality is that a really good grip-retexturing like the one from Enhanced Precision Products can be used on its own, or work as an improved foundation for any of these products, much like the foundation of a building. It is important to think of a good grip re-texturing as working in tandem with something like electrical tape, Talon Grips, or Brooks Tactical Agrip to produce a new level of performance, as opposed to either modification simply working on its own. So whether one chooses to run the pistol bare, or with some sort of a grip enhancement covering like tape or Talon Grips or Brooks Tactical Agrip, the importance of having a good grip re-texturing like that from Enhanced Precision Products simply cannot be understated.

CONCLUSION:
    The Enhanced Precision Products grip-retexturing in the “carry” texture is one of the biggest and most dramatic breakthroughs I have encountered in 25 years of participation in the shooting sports, including 21 years of shooting the H&K USP exclusively. It improves all measurable aspects of using an H&K USP, including extended comfort for long shooting sessions, improved double and single-action trigger reach (especially noticeable in the double-action format), improved one-hand and weak-hand firing, and much exponentially improved draw stroke in terms of speed, smoothness and comfort. I could not be happier or more pleased with this modification, it is definitely worth every penny, and will be performed on all of my current and future H&K USP pistols. The Enhanced Precision Products “carry” texture is also presently the best grip-retexturing I have encountered yet (my opinion only) in terms of what I have been able to handle in person, even when compared to several very well-respected vendors such as Robar and Boresight Solutions.

For those of you who love the H&K USP, I assure you that you will absolutely fall in love with the gun all over again if you get this modification. Take it from someone who will enter his 22nd year on the platform this coming January of 2016, and who owns and uses no other handguns other than the H&K USP. I could only imagine how well a H&K USP Expert or H&K USP Elite would perform with this modification, and would strongly urge the owners of such superior pistols to give this enhancement their very serious consideration. I would say the very same for the Mark 23 Owners as well. You will not be disappointed.

Lastly, I will note that Mr. Logan Fowler is an absolute pleasure to work with, and will answer all of your questions. You are in excellent hands with him. He will be getting a lot more of my money very soon.

All questions and comments are welcome. Thank you!
    Last edited by Lossiter; 11-08-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is not my hand, and it is not my photo, but everyone who uses the H&K USP knows exactly what this photo represents, namely the painful impression which the factory H&K USP grip leaves one one's hand.
    Do yourselves a favor and get the "carry" re-texturing from Enhanced Precision Products, and rid yourselves of this problem once and for all!!!!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate the thorough review but I don't have time to read the whole thing. Stippling is stippling. You either like it or you don't. :)

How much did it cost?
    How long did it take?
    ----
    //

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
    Stippling is stippling. You either like it or you don't. :)
    True, and would submit you will really like this one, at least I did!!

Cost: $180.00 + $20.00 return shipping. He will also do the bottom of the triggerguard for an additional $20.00, but I did not have this done.

I had it back in about 2 weeks, but would have waited far, far longer for something this good.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfield View Post
    Well, this is interesting. You write:

"3) My draw stroke doubles if not triples in speed and comfort having received this modification."

Can you share with us time you had to present the firearm before the modification, and the time after (which I gather you are saying is one-third of the prior time), and what type of presentation is involved (target size on which you expect confidently to get a hit, and distance to target)?

Thanks
    Informal dry-fire in my home with an unloaded (and triple-checked) handgun, against light-switch and/or paper target at about 7 yards distance, the draw stroke is noticeably impeded with the presence of a Hogue or Pachmayr grip sleeve, at least for me, because of the added thickness of the grip.

With just the Enhanced Precision Products grip modification, the draw is smooth and perfect at well under 1.0 to 1.5 seconds presentation, estimated, no shots fired, just getting the pistol out of the holster and obtaining sight picture. If there is a grip sleeve on the weapon, it is likely at 1.5 - 2 seconds because of the delay to get the perfect grip (whatever that is,) and if I mishandle or fumble the grip, now it is getting into 3 -3.5 seconds if not longer. I am not checking this with a timer (if I have a chance to do that I will let you know) but informally the difference is there and it is very noticeable. Since I have multiple H&K USP's I can make a side-by-side comparison.

If I need to have a grip sleeve on the pistol because the grip is uncomfortable to use, it impedes the draw stroke because of the thickness it adds to the grip. The Enhanced Precision Products modification gives me the comfort I need, without the added girth around the grip, and in turn it noticeably speeds up the draw stroke, at least for me. Part of it also is that I am at higher risk to fumble the draw with the gripsleeve versus the grip with just the Enhanced Precision Products modification.

It is an excellent question, and if I can quantify this more exactly with an electric timer, I will do, and report back to the group. I do not have large hands, so a more slender grip works better for me in terms of all aspects of performance.
    Last edited by Lossiter; 11-08-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lossiter, thank you very much for the kind words. Looking forward to working with you in the near future!

Glad you're liking the frame work.
    Enhanced Precision Products
    FFL 07
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Follow us on Hidden Content (Fowler Industries)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HK P7M8
    HK USP .45
    HK SP89
    Perazzi MT6

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

It is easy and free if you already have an iron. Just takes a little patience. But sometimes, for some people, it's worth $200 to not have to deal with it or they think they'll screw it up.

But yeah, op, you're grip is stippled. He did a nice job. But I have trouble believing it so drastically improves your draw.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    But sometimes, for some people, it's worth $200 to not have to deal with it or they think they'll screw it up.
    +10000. It’s a $500.00 mistake (or whatever a new frame costs) if I mess it up. Besides, he has done a lot of these, especially Glocks, and I would imagine has specialized tools, and the accompanying knowledge and expertise for having done so many. I’ll very gladly fork over the $200.00 per frame for the peace of mind and the end result, which in my opinion, is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    But yeah, op, you're grip is stippled. He did a nice job. But I have trouble believing it so drastically improves your draw.
    The drastic improvement in the draw stroke is perhaps specific to my personal circumstances, because despite being a 39 year old male, I have hands that resemble a 14-year old adolescent female (no disrespect intended to the very capable women HKPRO members on the board). Many close friends have said that I resemble Crispin Glover (i.e. Bill McFly from Back to the Future), and it stands to reason that “Bill McFly” is not “Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson” when it comes to hand/grip size and strength.

If I add a Hogue or Pachmayr gripsleeve to dull down the front and back checkering on the HK USP, it can cause me to slow down on the draw to grasp the gripsleeve correctly. Using the EPP stippled grip in carry texture, I can always grasp and present the weapon immediately, with zero hesitation, and no fumbling of the grip. I could not always do this when using the gripsleeves.

It could also be psychological as much as it is practical, but as the Bud Light commercials proclaim, “If it’s stupid, but it works, then it isn’t stupid.”

Lots of people still like the Colt M1911-A1 Government Model series pistols because the grips are single-stack thin grips, and as such are very, very comfortable. The H&K P7M8 9mm is also a single-stack thin grip, and is also very comfortable for the same reason. The EPP carry texture grip allows me to run the gun effectively and comfortably in bare format (thin grip) as opposed to adding gripsleeves, which make for a fatter, bulkier, and thicker grip, regardless of the quality of the gripsleeve. This is the first time in 22 years of owning and using the HK USP that I have found something which can give me a comfortable grip on the pistol without adding bulk or girth.

All other things equal, I can draw a thinner grip faster and more effectively than a thicker grip. Case in point, I can draw a .380 Beretta M85F (8+1) single stack faster than the Beretta M84F (13+1) because of the thinner grip. Those pistols are identical except for the grips and magazine capacity. I can draw the Beretta M84F very fast, but the M85F is even faster yet.

My first ever handgun was a Sig-Sauer P226, so I am used to double-stack grips, and much prefer the firepower. With the EPP modification on the HK USP, I have a double-stack grip which is likely as thin or thinner than the Sig-Sauer P226, which is fantastic.

Finally getting rid of the gripsleeves was like removing a weight from my feet for the past 22 years. The guns shot very, very well with the rubber gripsleeves, especially the Pachmayr as noted above, but I always felt that I was not living up to my full potential by having to use essentially a band-aid fix for a grip which was less than optimal for me because of the cheese-grater checkering on front and back panels. Moreover, I would add that the left and right side panels are, at least for me, noticeably more comfortable and effective after the EPP modification than the original factory H&K USP side panels.
    Last edited by Lossiter; 12-30-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfield View Post
    "3) My draw stroke doubles if not triples in speed and comfort having received this modification."
    OP def he has some strong opinions on some of the Vendors here always makes me a little skeptical on intention/motive I will never forget this quote from OP about another vendor "Their work is turning out to be some of the very best ever submitted in the 15 year history of HKPRO.COM"

Maybe he is just an animated guy guess I will give him benefit of doubt.......Anyway stippling looks good for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links