Convert HK45C into CT
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Convert HK45C into CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Convert HK45C into CT

Looking for a HK45C to serve a dual role. I'm looking to carry IWB but don't want to carry the threaded barrel. But I also want the HK45CT for home defense with a suppressor. If I purchase a HK45C can I just replace the barrel with a threaded from HK parts and convert to tactical at the end of the day or is this impractical? Aside from suppressor sights, are there distinct differences between the HK45C and HK45CT such that adding a threaded barrel to the 45C doesn't yield the same performance, weight, center of gravity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only differences between the HK45C and the HK45CT are the threaded barrel, suppressor-height sights, and the fact the CT comes with the 10-rd extended magazines. Slide, frame, internals are all the same (assuming the same trigger variant, which can be changed anyway). Swapping the barrel is as easy as doing a normal field-strip.

You may want to confirm that you don't have a POI shift when swapping barrels; I have shot pistols in the past which would group slightly differently with one barrel vs. another. I have an HK45CT with both barrels, and they group identically. I think this is less of a concern with the HK45 series—perhaps consistent lock-up is helped by the O-ring—but confirm with your individual pistol just to be sure.

Edited to add: Of course, you should also check your shift with the suppressor attached—that almost always does change your POI.
    Last edited by Faustus; 03-05-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    polyee likes this.
    In a world of compromise, some procrastinate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    The only differences between the HK45C and the HK45CT are the threaded barrel, suppressor-height sights, and the fact the CT comes with the 10-rd extended magazines. Slide, frame, internals are all the same (assuming the same trigger variant, which can be changed anyway). Swapping the barrel is as easy as doing a normal field-strip.

You may want to confirm that you don't have a POI shift when swapping barrels; I have shot pistols in the past which would group slightly differently with one barrel vs. another. I have an HK45CT with both barrels, and they group identically. I think this is less of a concern with the HK45 series—perhaps consistent lock-up is helped by the O-ring—but confirm with your individual pistol just to be sure.

Edited to add: Of course, you should also check your shift with the suppressor attached—that almost always does change your POI.
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. Good point about the POI. I would expect minimal impact due to the O-ring on the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Doesn't the CT also have a different recoil spring assembly that works better for use with suppressors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fonzman357 View Post
    Doesn't the CT also have a different recoil spring assembly that works better for use with suppressors?
    I am not aware of any such difference—shouldn't that be the job of the recoil booster, aka Nielson device (part of the suppressor)?

In any case, while my HK45CT is relatively new and only has about 500 rounds on it, all those rounds were unsuppressed and it has had no issues. About half the round count is with the original, threaded barrel and the other half with a 4in standard (unthreaded) HK45 barrel.
    polyee likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would be the point of having one pistol and constantly disassembling and reassembling when you could just have a dedicated gun per role?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think converting would only make sense if the pistol you want is nearly impossible to attain in your state.

I converted my 45c because I deal with a handgun roster
    polyee likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notgoodwithnames View Post
    What would be the point of having one pistol and constantly disassembling and reassembling when you could just have a dedicated gun per role?
    There could be many reasons for this, but the most obvious one that comes to mind is a second barrel costs much less than a second complete pistol. Personally, I would love to own every HK in the catalogue, but that's not a financial possibility for me. I own more than one, but recognize that for some, even a second handgun may be a strain on the wallet (especially when other necessities, like holsters, extra magazines, etc come into play).

If it required a detail strip to change barrel lengths, I could understand the convenience argument for having a second pistol—I wouldn't recommend a similar strategy to switch between V1 DA/SA and V7 LEM frequently for example—but considering it takes a practiced hand literally 30 seconds to swap the barrel, I think that's a moot point.
    polyee likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    There could be many reasons for this, but the most obvious one that comes to mind is a second barrel costs much less than a second complete pistol. Personally, I would love to own every HK in the catalogue, but that's not a financial possibility for me. I own more than one, but recognize that for some, even a second handgun may be a strain on the wallet (especially when other necessities, like holsters, extra magazines, etc come into play).

If it required a detail strip to change barrel lengths, I could understand the convenience argument for having a second pistol—I wouldn't recommend a similar strategy to switch between V1 DA/SA and V7 LEM frequently for example—but considering it takes a practiced hand literally 30 seconds to swap the barrel, I think that's a moot point.
    Swapping the barrel and rethreading the suppressor every time you get home then unthreading and swapping it back to leave would annoy me tbh. I guess the financial argument can be made but if he's doing HD with a suppressor I would think that we're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for funds
    polyee likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notgoodwithnames View Post
    Swapping the barrel and rethreading the suppressor every time you get home then unthreading and swapping it back to leave would annoy me tbh. I guess the financial argument can be made but if he's doing HD with a suppressor I would think that we're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for funds
    My main concern is I think the 45CT may be a tad big to carry, so I’d be swapping barrels to convert from home defense to carry. I already carry a VP9SK, but would like to carry the 45C most times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links