Private Message Request for photos via email a scam?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Private Message Request for photos via email a scam?

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Private Message Request for photos via email a scam?

    Someone requested via private message that I email photos (I guess the ones I posted about my VP9 custom modifications. I am nervous about this. Why? I am reluctant to do so as a new member and unless someone can explain if this common place. Besides, I got a message that I can only PM staff with less then 5 posts.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

  2. #2
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    TooSixy's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Posts : 18,631
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

    Default

    It's a common practice for someone (even a new member) to request additional pictures. No offense, but I would be more worried about buying from a new member like you (who has less than a handful of posts and joined here to sell) than to sell something to another new member.

    "You can only PM staff with less than 5 posts". Is that a typo? Did you mean "cannot"?

  3. #3
    Merchant of Death (Admin)
    straightgrain's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 1970
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 11,023
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

    Default

    Users with less than 5 posts cannot PM forum members. They can only PM forum staff.

    It is not uncommon for folks to want more pictures, though.

    Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .


    Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    dwillHK's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2006
    Location : South FL, USA
    Posts : 3,108
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally, I wouldn’t do it, but that’s just me. If someone wants more detail, I’d post pictures on the forum, or via PM once you get enough posts.

  6. #5
    HKPRO Professional

    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Location : AZ
    Posts : 688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Is the person requesting additional images a member here? You can always put additional photos within your thread/reply/ad so that everyone benefits.

    If your gut tells you not to do it, follow that instinct.
    Last edited by az4783054; 12-25-2017 at 06:01 PM.

  7. #6
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    HKUSPSA's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 677
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlevin6 View Post
    Someone requested via private message that I email photos (I guess the ones I posted about my VP9 custom modifications. I am nervous about this. Why? I am reluctant to do so as a new member and unless someone can explain if this common place. Besides, I got a message that I can only PM staff with less then 5 posts.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Did you post your VP9 on Armslist? check your other thread.

  8. #7
    Administrator
    admin's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 850
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

    Default

    Asking for more photos is common.
    One way is to start a thread somewhere and post your pics there and send it to him.
    Since PM doesn't allow photos to be uploaded, that could be a reason why he would like more photos through email.

    Ed
    TheJerkman likes this.

  9. #8
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    TooSixy's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Posts : 18,631
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Asking for more photos is common.
    One way is to start a thread somewhere and post your pics there and send it to him.
    Since PM doesn't allow photos to be uploaded, that could be a reason why he would like more photos through email.

    Ed
    Or he could just update his WTS ad thread with more pics.

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes, this is the same VP9 posted on Armslist.

  11. #10
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    It's a common practice for someone (even a new member) to request additional pictures. No offense, but I would be more worried about buying from a new member like you (who has less than a handful of posts and joined here to sell) than to sell something to another new member.

    "You can only PM staff with less than 5 posts". Is that a typo? Did you mean "cannot"?
    The request did not ask for "additional" photos. Exact wording "Can please send photos to [email]"

    "You can only PM staff with less than 5 posts". Is that a typo? Did you mean "cannot"?

    Exact wording:

    Note: Until your post count is 5 you will be able to send PMs to Staff only.



    The gun is for sale for both new and old members.

    I am concerned that you seem troubled by me being a new member trying to sell my firearm. I recognize that the forum is not primarily for selling guns. However, it does have a marketplace for that purpose and new members can participate if they are premium members. Unfortunately, we had some unexpected medical bills and our financial situation requires that we avail ourselves or every opportunity to raise money.

    My concern here is that it seem odd that someone would request the photos via private email. They were posted. If additional photos were what was meant, he did not specify what he was looking for, angle and so forth and why not request that those be posted. Additionally, both eBay and Amazon Marketplace indicated that such requests - posted photos be emailed - maybe a scam to obtain personal information. The operative word is "maybe". I did not know.

    Lastly, I did not include any references to identify the individual, because his request may have perfectly legitimate. I was merely seeking advice from the forum.

    My sincere hope is that my reply makes you less worried about me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •