PTR91 Bolt Carrier Seperating
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTR91 Bolt Carrier Seperating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR91 Bolt Carrier Seperating

Anyone had an issue such as this or have an idea why it might happen? I installed a HKN15688 to get a better trigger. Weapon fired well while sighting in for about the first 20 rounds. Then a few FTFs after eject/chamber. Pulled cocking lever back to eject and chamber a new round and the ejected round had no firing pin strikes. Loaded round fires and repeat process. Finally wouldn't fire at all. Bolt would pick up rounds and throw them in chamber but wouldn't catch for extraction and no rounds would fire. Bolt wasn't closing all the way. So bring inside and tear down. The picture attached is what the carrier looks like at present and is the reason I'm asking if anyone has seen this happen. If I need to get a new carrier, that is fine but I wish to make sure that if I do, this doesn't happen again because there is something causing it. PTR91 Bolt Carrier Seperating-dsc02183.jpg

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not your fault, a weld broke. That is a first for me, very unusual.

Doesn't look like a PTR produced carrier, either.

Ask them about fixing it for free...

Dennis
    Workin' my Gramophone in a smartphone world...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. I was figuring it was pressed in. I bought the rifle used several years ago and have had no issues. The only pieces I've replaced are the butt-stock/spring, flash-hider w/ a brake and the trigger group. Do the numbers 03/61 on the top of the carrier mean anything?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wthalacker View Post
    Do the numbers 03/61 on the top of the carrier mean anything?
    It is a German made Rheinmetall bolt carrier the circled diamond is their mark and the numbers are the month and year of manufacture.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-g...ification.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dustoff003 View Post
    It is a German made Rheinmetall bolt carrier the circled diamond is their mark and the numbers are the month and year of manufacture.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-g...ification.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't catch that. Well, there goes it's reputation as being more robust than a standard carrier. I guess this can happen to either one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all. I contacted PTR and they said it happens but not often regardless of manufacturer. So, I'm ordering a new carrier and will probably try to press the old one back together and weld it again. If good enough, may be a spare part if it happens again.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, thats the first carrier fail I've seen, ever. I would think that is pretty easily repaired, but I would double check for cracks.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a first for me and appreciate you posting it. It helps others in our community evaluate and correct issues that we may readily never expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

slight update, also a user of the PTR in question. An upgrade that was accomplished early on was replacing the stock with the MagPul PRS with Enhanced buffer. I've inquired with PTR Industries about the possibility of the heavier buffer possibly enhancing wear/break down of the component, just in case. Their response was more to the idea of component age and its life use as normal and expected - it will wear out at some point. Not sure if the re-press idea has worked out yet but do have a replacement on order.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wthalacker View Post
    Thanks all. I contacted PTR and they said it happens but not often regardless of manufacturer. So, I'm ordering a new carrier and will probably try to press the old one back together and weld it again. If good enough, may be a spare part if it happens again.
    UM, if I heard right this should be a PTR warranty repair? But I'd say you have a rare HK manufacturer's defect. Nothing on this rock is 100%
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links