New guy with a PTR on the way!

Thread: New guy with a PTR on the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New guy with a PTR on the way!

Howdy folks, finally decided to bite the bullet and purchased a PTR 91 A3R from Atlantic Firearms last week and getting pretty excited. Though, I do have a few questions. I do want to install an ambi trigger pack to let my brother use so that he can have an easier time using the rifle (He's a lefty). I found the trigger pack that I want to use though, could I just use any trigger housing or do I need to have a specific one for that pack?

Trigger pack in question:
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK91...-107p17232.htm

Housing to use the trigger pack in:
    HK-AR SEMI CLIPPED AND PINNED LOWER FOR HK91 HK93 HK94

Sorry if it's a bit of an odd question. Hope I get an answer though.

Thanks!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i'm not sure, but it looks like that trigger housing is set up for SEF non ambi trigger packs. I could be wrong.

DS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If all the ambi trigger pack is going to get you is a safety on the other side why bother? The cocking handle on the left side requires a pretty strong pull and the HK system has no last shot bolt hold back like an AR where you just drop a mag and press a button to reload. A lefty would have to take his trigger hand off the grip to reach forward to grab the handle to charge the fresh magazine. Sounds awkward to me. Better he should practice up a little as a right hand shooter. I bet he would adapt in no time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^^ +1

i could see wanting to change a contoured grip as a lefty, but, yeah, not sure if there is much benefit for safety location only.

DS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HWimbleton View Post
    Howdy folks, finally decided to bite the bullet and purchased a PTR 91 A3R from Atlantic Firearms last week and getting pretty excited. Though, I do have a few questions. I do want to install an ambi trigger pack to let my brother use so that he can have an easier time using the rifle (He's a lefty). I found the trigger pack that I want to use though, could I just use any trigger housing or do I need to have a specific one for that pack?

Trigger pack in question:
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK91...-107p17232.htm

Housing to use the trigger pack in:
    HK-AR SEMI CLIPPED AND PINNED LOWER FOR HK91 HK93 HK94

Sorry if it's a bit of an odd question. Hope I get an answer though.

Thanks!
    Congratulations on your acquisition! PTR-32 over here, love their work--l'm going to have to get a 91 down the line!

I also don't see any reason why that ambi trigger pack wouldn't work--you're all set!

Welcome to the club!!

jhb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    If all the ambi trigger pack is going to get you is a safety on the other side why bother? The cocking handle on the left side requires a pretty strong pull and the HK system has no last shot bolt hold back like an AR where you just drop a mag and press a button to reload. A lefty would have to take his trigger hand off the grip to reach forward to grab the handle to charge the fresh magazine. Sounds awkward to me. Better he should practice up a little as a right hand shooter. I bet he would adapt in no time.
    I shoot southpaw mainly, but sometimes right hand as well. When shooting southpaw i dont take my trigger hand or left hand off the grip and trigger area. I reach across with my right hand to recharge the rifle. Not that hard and i dont have super long chimpanzee arms either. Being ambi myself I highly disagree with your theory of trying to make a left hander learn to shoot right only. Far better to learn to shoot both hands and when shooting southpaw to learn to adapt to right hand rifles and pistols. I think this is good practice for anyone. Too each their own though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhb View Post
    I shoot southpaw mainly, but sometimes right hand as well. When shooting southpaw i dont take my trigger hand or left hand off the grip and trigger area. I reach across with my right hand to recharge the rifle. Not that hard and i dont have super long chimpanzee arms either. Being ambi myself I highly disagree with your theory of trying to make a left hander learn to shoot right only. Far better to learn to shoot both hands and when shooting southpaw to learn to adapt to right hand rifles and pistols. I think this is good practice for anyone. Too each their own though.
    ^ This, my brother can shoot both left and right hand, he just prefers being a lefty. I'd just like to make it easier for him. Already got a centralized paddle magazine release on there so why not make it easier to control?

Also, Uebermind, I don't see why it wouldn't work either but maybe I'm just a bit skeptical. Some trigger housings say it can only be used with standard non-ambi trigger packs and etc.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i think if it has the detents for the safe, semi and F settings on the outside of the housing it will only work with SEF trigger packs. The ambi ones are inside the cutout i believe, not on the side of the housing. Again, i may be waaaaaaay off base here, but just trying to help.

DS

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!!

Tony

Sponsored Links