Official PTR91 Owner's Thread - Page 19
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Official PTR91 Owner's Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post
    Does that Hensoldt have good eye relief? Does it feel like you are looking through a toilet paper tube?
    I believe the eye relief is excellent, but as I stated earlier, I don't own any 1000$+ scopes. For the three something I paid for mine, it's excellent, it fits my PTR like a glove, it holds it's zero, the glass is crystal clear. I'm also a fan of the German reticle as opposed to the crosshairs most US scopes use.
    "Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential."
    Bruce Lee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A year and 1/2 ago I bought a Century Arms C308 from an online retailer, on sale, for 599.99. At the time I really didn't know very much about PTR rifles; and, IIRC, the cheapest one I could find was $900.00 anyway. Back then I was still in the process of paying off major medical debt and I couldn't justify the additional $300.00.

Well, I finished paying off the debt in January. So, with one recurring issue (being hard to charge) becoming more frequent, and one new issue (guide rod bushing binding on the inside of bolt carrier) refusing to stay repaired, I had my excuse to buy a new rifle.

Last Saturday night I saw the online ad for the sale of a PTR 91 GI Classic by a private seller:

He was local so we exchanged a few emails, and then on Tuesday morning we met at a nearby FFL. The rifle was in factory new condition and had never been fired. The seller was a collector who bought the rifle on sale a few months earlier off of the Atlantic Firearms website for $899.00 (regular $925.00) and then decided that he really didn't need/want it. I bought it for $775.00.

I brought her home, cleaned her up, and swapped over the HK 21 butt pad I had on my C308, along with my rjinga custom vented hand guard (I added a leather sling after I took the photo too):
    Last edited by rjinga; 03-19-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post
    Is it true that the claw mounts must be fitted to each rifle?
    I recently got a German army surplus claw mount for my PTR 91 GI and it fit like a glove. The upper receiver must be in spec :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    A year and 1/2 ago I bought a Century Arms C308 from an online retailer, on sale, for 599.99. At the time I really didn't know very much about PTR rifles; and, IIRC, the cheapest one I could find was $900.00 anyway. Back then I was still in the process of paying off major medical debt and I couldn't justify the additional $300.00.

Well, I finished paying off the debt in January. So, with one recurring issue (being hard to charge) becoming more frequent, and one new issue (guide rod bushing binding on the inside of bolt carrier) refusing to stay repaired, I had my excuse to buy a new rifle.

Last Saturday night I saw the online ad for the sale of a PTR 91 GI Classic by a private seller:

He was local so we exchanged a few emails, and then on Tuesday morning we met at a nearby FFL. The rifle was in factory new condition and had never been fired. The seller was a collector who bought the rifle on sale a few months earlier off of the Atlantic Firearms website for $899.00 (regular $925.00) and then decided that he really didn't need/want it. I bought it for $775.00.

I brought her home, cleaned her up, and swapped over the HK 21 butt pad I had on my C308, along with my rjinga custom vented hand guard (I added a leather sling after I took the photo too):
    Nice acquisition!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's what I'm working on. Trying to keep it sub 10lbs including scope.

Attachment 101858
    Last edited by JMattJ; 03-22-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    Very nice and near identical to the one I got a few months ago. Mine is the G.I. R with the small pic rail on top. Honestly, I don't intend to mount an optic on the rifle. I like it as is and was VERY tempted to get the basic G.I model as well, but figured "you never know." They are certainly a nice rifle. Makes me wish PTR would jump into the other roller locked guns given how good of quality and value they deliver the PTR 91.

Something to note, Brownells has a 10-pack of surplus G3 magazines for $35, or they did a month or so ago (yup, here you go). Ordered it and was very pleasantly surprised to find that only 1-2 mags showed much wear at all, the rest almost seemed like new. For $3.50 / mag it's a damn good deal. Hell, even if all the mags showed a little wear, $3.50 / is still a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

I've never understood why the steel mags sell for $20 and up, while aluminum mags are so much less. I've been shooting both in a SA SAR 3/8 for 25 years and never found any difference in reliability. I've got around ten of the factory steel mags and close to two dozen of the aluminum versions; I just don't get it.

Attachment 101898

FWIW, inflation and all, but Brownells, or Midway, used to sell the aluminum mags for around $1.50 each for ten, with at least two guaranteed to be new in original bag. I bought those many times, kept the new/newer mags and sold the rest...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JMattJ View Post

Attachment 101858
    What's your experience with the folding stock? I've looked at them online, but never handled one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
    Very nice and near identical to the one I got a few months ago. Mine is the G.I. R with the small pic rail on top. Honestly, I don't intend to mount an optic on the rifle. I like it as is and was VERY tempted to get the basic G.I model as well, but figured "you never know."
    At first I wished that mine was a GI R so that I'd have the scope option. Now, I'm into the classic look, and I found out that you can buy a clamp-on rail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
    Something to note, Brownells has a 10-pack of surplus G3 magazines for $35, or they did a month or so ago (yup, here you go). Ordered it and was very pleasantly surprised to find that only 1-2 mags showed much wear at all, the rest almost seemed like new. For $3.50 / mag it's a damn good deal. Hell, even if all the mags showed a little wear, $3.50 / is still a good deal.
    I've go 20 mags at the moment, so...

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JMattJ View Post

Attachment 101858
    I'm also interested in what you think of the folding stock. Is it lighter than the regular plastic stocks?

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links