Official PTR91 Owner's Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Official PTR91 Owner's Thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B_Brah View Post
    Amen brother!

I just got an SC for Christmas and it took me about an hour to remove the stuck cap! I've owned several clones over the years and always replace the blank plug with a bayo cap. The detent that normally would secure the cap wasn't even rotated into place. In fact, the cap itself was secured entirely by the thick power-coating/paint or whatever PTR sprays on their rifles. I was so puzzled by the fact that it wasn't removable that I called PTR and asked if it was soldered on. I tried cutting the edge with a razor blade, hammer and chisel, vice grips, etc. I eventually ended up clamping the edges of the cap in the vice and giving the end of the barrel a good whack. The aluminum cap was destroyed in the process and I put a few scratches on the triple frame and barrel. I prefer the CETME plug and bayonet which requires an additional hole in the triple frame for a second detent located around 2 o'clock (see attached photos). Overall it was a lot more trouble than it should have been.

Attachment 83658Attachment 83666

Oh, and I'm sure some eagle-eye will notice that the handguard is NOT the hideous aluminum dealie that normally comes on the SC. That's because I replaced it with a used [modified] HK33 handguard.
    Why are you putting a Spanish Bayonet on a German clone Rifle? CETME Baoynet belongs on a CETME not A G3 clone.

HDH.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was going to say, that's different than mine. I have an H&K bayonet lug receiver on mine, and it takes a screw with a hex nut.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Location : The bluberry in the tomato soup (Austin, Texas, USA)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hansellhd2 View Post
    Why are you putting a Spanish Bayonet on a German clone Rifle? CETME Baoynet belongs on a CETME not A G3 clone.
    One could also ask: "Why install a top rail or a fluted barrel with 5/8X24 threading? But I digress. It's not a German clone rifle, it's an American clone of a German rifle built on Portuguese tooling with a few "surplus" parts thrown in, which pretty much makes it a mutt. And the last time I checked Spain and Portugal are closer to each other than either is to Germany, but I get your point about design "lineage." But since we're already not working with a "purebred," why not use what works and is available? New CETME bayos with scabbard can be had for around $15, what will an HK bayo set you back, $80 new?, $40 used? The CETME lug is less complex and lighter than the HK and leaves the weight of the attachment mechanism on the bayonet rather than on the end of the rifle when not actually installed. Furthermore, if you have a large diameter cocking tube (not the PTR), the cleaning kit built into CETME bayo lug is infinitely more useful than the non-existent cleaning kit of the HK lug. It's mostly a matter of taste, but I also feel that the shape of the CETME blade is more useful as a knife than the HK "Pig Sticker." So those are my main reasons: cost, weight, complexity, utility. I could list more, like I'm not an HK fanboy, but man, I've gotta' say, I didn't expect this from the "official HK clone owner's forum." Maybe I should head over to the Winchester Collectors' forum and ask the best spot to drill the receiver on an 1885 to attach a QD mount for an Aimpoint. Seriously!?! PTR sonbbery? I think I've seen everything now.

Attachment 84210Attachment 84218Attachment 84226Attachment 84234

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wasn't aware that the CETME bayonet lug was different. I wasn't being a snob, just being ignorant.

Location : The bluberry in the tomato soup (Austin, Texas, USA)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Josefius View Post
    I wasn't aware that the CETME bayonet lug was different. I wasn't being a snob, just being ignorant.
    Sorry, I was replying to "hansellhd2."

I'm familiar with and have used both types. The body of the HK lug rests inside the cocking tube with a spring loaded plunger to provide pressure against a nipple on the pommel of the bayonet. The bayonet clicks into place and is released by a small angled lever on the base of the pommel. The lug is attached to the rifle with a single set screw. The CETME lug works more like the lugs found on US martial arms. It is basically a steel cap on the end of the cocking tube (not unlike the blank aluminum cap that came on the PTR-91), but with a fixed 3/4" D-shaped tab protruding from the end and two detents to secure it inside the triple frame rather than the single detent found on the blank cap. The bayonet slides over and locks onto this tab. The release is a large round button on the base of the pommel. Because the CETME lug is retained by two detents, it requires a second hole to be drilled in the center hole of the triple frame. I feel that the CETME bayo lug attachment is superior to HK because it does not require a screwdriver for removal, only the tip of a cartridge. As near as I can figure, the only advantage that the HK lug has over the CETME lug is aesthetic; it looks cleaner because there isn't a tab sticking out of the end of the cocking tube.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B_Brah View Post
    Sorry, I was replying to "hansellhd2."
    No problem, I didn't want to come across that way. I like the look of both lugs. I personally want my rifle to be closer to the G3 in appearance, my hopes are to get a wide fore grip and bipod, along with the original scope and mount. I am falling deeper in love with this rifle every time I go to the range. I'm learning a lot about delayed roller blowback design, my Colt 6920 has been neglected lately ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    Last edited by Josefius; 01-10-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So is thread THE thread or is there a separate forum? Also, perhaps the OP could edit his first post to include links to aftermarket support? Thanks for starting this. I'm looking forward to my first outing with the ptr

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philosurfer View Post
    So is thread THE thread or is there a separate forum? Also, perhaps the OP could edit his first post to include links to aftermarket support? Thanks for starting this. I'm looking forward to my first outing with the ptr

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Awesome, I love this rifle. I found that the rear sight drum was all the way down and I had to raise it significantly to zero the sight at 30 meters. When this bad weather goes away, I will continue at 100 meters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

love my PTR. just finished outfitting it and giving it a good place to live.
    got it for a song used at cabelas off the used gun rack.
    how it looked when i got it vs what it looks like now.

Attachment 85385Attachment 85393
    Stop telling every child they are special and perfect in every way.
    Start telling them that life is short and hard like a body building dwarf.
    That's how we fix AmericaHidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chewcudda View Post
    love my PTR. just finished outfitting it and giving it a good place to live.
    got it for a song used at cabelas off the used gun rack.
    how it looked when i got it vs what it looks like now.

Attachment 85385Attachment 85393
    Nice rifle but how do you charge it with that size scope on it?

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links