Crooked?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crooked?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Crooked?

The Hensoldt Z24 I bought sits crooked on my PTR-91. It cants to the left a few degrees. How do you fix it? And yes, it's facing the correct way and yes, I removed the rubber bumper.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I had the same problem. I fixed it with stacking thin sheets of cardboard (cereal box) to use as a shim. Perfect! It's held zero over thousands of rounds on my rifle
    Spent most of my tax return on Hk parts, booze and ammo....the rest I just wasted

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Same here. I think I used stainless shim stock, if not, then it was probably thin strips cut from an aluminum can.

Crooked?-misc-048-copy-edit-large-.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you put them shims under the scope?

Kind of miffed this happened. Spent $600 on the thing and boy is it ever crooked when looking down the scope! Super annoying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The problem is the out of spec receiver mounting tabs most likely, on every build I have ever done including PTR receivers and stuff I rolled myself they are always out of spec. Good builders have a process at the end of a build before finishing to bring them into spec, which usually involves some welding or machining. Thats what I ended up doing and now the mount is tight and square.

Shimming will work (I did that until I found out the correct way). Look at it this way- try and combine a refinish of the gun and a claw mount square and true job into the same job, and have it sent to one of the good builders. It adds some cost but it's really worth it. Send them your mount to have it bedded to that specific mount.

I can't remember the builder, I think it was Chopstix or Ghilli, that just put up a synopsis of their method in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
    The problem is the out of spec receiver mounting tabs most likely, on every build I have ever done including PTR receivers and stuff I rolled myself they are always out of spec. Good builders have a process at the end of a build before finishing to bring them into spec, which usually involves some welding or machining. Thats what I ended up doing and now the mount is tight and square.

Shimming will work (I did that until I found out the correct way). Look at it this way- try and combine a refinish of the gun and a claw mount square and true job into the same job, and have it sent to one of the good builders. It adds some cost but it's really worth it. Send them your mount to have it bedded to that specific mount.

I can't remember the builder, I think it was Chopstix or Ghilli, that just put up a synopsis of their method in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.
    Wow, sure didn't know this was a common problem when I dropped that much money on the scope and mount. Before dumping what sounds like several hundred more dollars worth of work into it, think I'll sell it on eBay and cut my loses.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The scope isn't the problem, the gun is. Maybe sell it and buy an HK.

DG
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It's probably not the mount if it's German. Is it German?

And old HK's can be out of spec too, ask me how I know. Wear on the pads (which are pretty small and it's not heat treated steel) and rough use can make things loose, not to mention any warping in the receiver due to getting tweaked.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    The scope isn't the problem, the gun is. Maybe sell it and buy an HK.

DG
    Cold!!!

Tony

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, gang. Sadly, I don't have the money for a real HK-91. This is as close as I'll get I'm afraid.

But, progress. I found that I was able to push over the scope when mounted to wear the reticle is level. So, it has some play to it. I am afraid a bump or recoil will cause the scope to be pushed back over towards the right. Yes this a real HK mount BTW, not a UTG.

I found this page discussing the torsion washers and adjusting their number to fit the scope to the rifle:

HK G3 claw mounts ©mg-42.net 2007

I should also mention it isn't terribly hard to "click" the scope into place, i.e. I don't have to push all that hard down onto the lever. I wonder if adding another washer or two above each pressure pad would provide a more solid fit?

Here it is with the scope mounted and with the crosshairs "level":

The pressure pad is being pushed up, the rear pad looks the same. My guess is this is where the extra play is coming from. I took apart the pressure pads and each one had seven washers which should be correct. I am wondering if some rifles just need more washers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crooked?-20170404_210734-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Earl_Burlin; 04-05-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links