Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider

Thread: Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider

Hello, I currently have a 12.5" barreled PTR32K pistol that I would like to convert into a 16" barreled rifle by pinning and welding a muzzle device in place so that I can legally add a stock. I already bought a 4.5" MFI flash hider that will work and it looks great. However it is not actually functional and it rings like a bell. I was hoping that perhaps someone here would know of a functional flash hider or muzzle brake that is around 4.5" long. Any suggested products would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be having a lot of trouble searching this one. Again I have a pistol with a 12.5" long barrel so I believe a 4.5" muzzle device would put me at an overall length of approximately 16.32". I do understand that this will have to be pinned and welded in place in order to legally be able to use a stock. I am just looking for other extended 5/8x24 thread 30 cal muzzle devices.

Thanks in advance,
    TG308

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default B.E. Meyers 240F-M60 Flash Hider?

I have still been searching and found a flash hider that I am very interested in but I am not sure if it would be long enough.

According to my research my PTR 32K PDW actually has a 12.7" long barrel rather than a 12.5" long barrel. However, I am working on the road so I do not currently have access to my HK clones and I am not sure how long the threaded section of the barrel is.

Link to barrel:
    G3 Barrel

The flash hider that I am interested in is the B.E. Meyers 240F-M60 Flash Hider. The length is listed at 4" and this is one of the most effective flash hiders made. It has consistently performed well in DOD testing and is currently being used by our military.

Link to Flash Hider:
    https://www.larue.com/products/b-e-m.../#fndtn-panel1

So 12.7" barrel + 4" flash hider = 16.7" - 0.5" ? for threads = 16.2" ?

Again my problem is that I do not know the length of the threads on the barrel or the flash hider so I do not know how much length I will lose. Also since the flash hider will be pinned and welded in place I thought that if I needed to I could use a crush washer, barrel jam nut or both to make sure that the overall length is at least 16.1".

I would really love to hear opinions on this especially from anyone that has done something similar or anyone that would be willing to measure the threaded portion of their barrel for me.

I have attached a photo of my PTR 32K PDW and a few photos of the type of collapsible stock that I am going to use once I have permanently attached a flash hider and brought the barrel length to at least 16.1"

Thanks in advance,
    TG308
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider-dscf1054-small-.jpg   Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider-wm_2229801.jpg   Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider-hkg3-old_1800_detail.jpg   Looking for functional extended 5/8x24 Thread Muzzle Brake or flash hider-khg3-old2_1749_detail.jpg  
    Last edited by The_Great_308; 12-30-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You have me curious now.

My K3P barrel with the MFI flash hider perm pinned measures out at 16-3/4" using the ATF method of measurement.

NEW 4.75" Long Lug MFI HK G28 DMR Style Muzzle Brake / Flash Enhancer for any weapon with 5/8 X 24 threaded barrel. For AR10, Ruger SR762, 300 Black Out, PTR91 A3R + many more.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured.

Think it would really depend on the length of the threads in the FH you link above. Only way to know for sure is to buy/try one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    You have me curious now.

My K3P barrel with the MFI flash hider perm pinned measures out at 16-3/4" using the ATF method of measurement.

NEW 4.75" Long Lug MFI HK G28 DMR Style Muzzle Brake / Flash Enhancer for any weapon with 5/8 X 24 threaded barrel. For AR10, Ruger SR762, 300 Black Out, PTR91 A3R + many more.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured.

Think it would really depend on the length of the threads in the FH you link above. Only way to know for sure is to buy/try one.
    Thank you very much for posting this. I did not know the proper procedure for obtaining the measurement. I think you are correct that I probably just need to buy one and try it. I currently have the same G28 MFI flash hider that you listed above but I would really prefer something functional and closer to the minimum length.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Did you get one to try? If it works at a hair over 16”, I would consider having mine redone with one of those FHs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    Did you get one to try? If it works at a hair over 16”, I would consider having mine redone with one of those FHs.
    I have not bought one yet but I think I am going to order one soon. When I find out what the length with it is I will post the results to this thread but that will probably not be for quite some time. I will be working out of town for a while.

Sponsored Links