Sar 3/8 overstamp question. Now with pics
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sar 3/8 overstamp question. Now with pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sar 3/8 overstamp question. Now with pics

*Update*
    Here are some pictures of the rifle. From my research the serial number is low enough that it should still have the threads. The pictures could a little more clear but meh.

https://imgur.com/a/DoHlj

Can somebody with a Sar 3/8 over stamp or HK 91 that still has the threads that survived import take a measurement from the end of the front sight post to the end of flash hider/brake? I ask this cause I'm trying to to see if a rifle is like to buy has been chopped and rethreaded or has the surviving threads and I'm trying to do this over the phone. Thanks in advance.

Jon
    Last edited by Jc1983; 07-15-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Clarification/ more info

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jc1983 View Post
    Can somebody with a Sar 3/8 overatamp that still has the threads that survived import take a measurement from the end of the front sight post to the end of flash hider/brake? I ask this cause I'm trying to to see if a rifle is like to buy has been chopped and rethreaded or has the surviving threads and I'm trying to do this over the phone. Thanks in advance.

Jon
    I don't have my SAR handy, but it has the same barrel length as any other HK91. So maybe change the subject line if no one bites.

If you posted a picture I could say if it is the full length or not. Or PM me if you don't want to expose a good deal you're bidding on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm trying to get emailed pictures of the rifle. I saw it two months ago and like a dummy didn't take pictures of it. I'll post sanitized pictures if I get them. Lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From the flat of the dust cover to the end of the flash suppressor is 5-7/16".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Rockchukr, the guy measured 5 3/4" and the brake on the rifle is after market and a bit longer than a factory brake as I recall.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Can he unscrew it? If you sent him an email of proper HK threads could he confirm that they look the same?

FYI, the barrel is too thin to just lop off and re-thread, unless it is threaded for something smaller like an AK muzzle device. Some of the later SAR8s has the threads ground down, and putting AK threads was one solution. (The nicer solution is to make a sleeve out of a demilled muzzle piece.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Handy , I'm trying to get pictures of around the muzzle to see if those ridges at the end of the barrel are present. I've seen the thread with someone having that sleeve of a demilled barrel put on. I'll evaluate my options if/when I get pictures. Thanks for the responses folks. I really appreciate them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have both a 3/8 overstamp and an HK91. Mine are an identical 5.5" in length (might be a tad off my eyesight sucks - point is the 3/8 and an HK91 are the same length). Now I don't have a later SAR 8 anymore to measure but it is much shorter. Let me look at my picture albums, I think I have a picture somewhere hopefully.

Sorry I don't have the gun anymore. It was S#11126 I believe. The angle isn't the best but it's good enough to see it's not the same 5.5" (approximate) as on the SAR3/8 or HK91. The easiest way to tell, the muzzle will be even with the end of the fake flash hider on the later guns, it is not on one that is still threaded.

Last edited by TexTuna; 07-09-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@TexTuna , thanks for those extra measurements and the tip. I've seen some Sar8's on gunbroker and they're definitely shorter than an HK 91 and Sar3/8's. This one (not mine and not the rifle in question) http://www.gunbroker.com/item/660716255 and this one http://www.gunbroker.com/item/662932706 are obviously shorter. I would like to get a full length not turned down barrel. So here's hoping I get those pictures and confirm one way or another. Thanks again.

Jon

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I hate to say this like it is a promise, but if it is actually an 8 heavily overstamping the 3, it will likely have threads. I believe the later rifles with the fake flash hider like TexTuna's weren't overstamped.

However, I'm sure somebody will prove that wrong...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links