HK mig welded Mp5 trunnions exploding???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HK mig welded Mp5 trunnions exploding???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK mig welded Mp5 trunnions exploding???

So ummm... "some guy" is saying that mig welding around the front trunnion to the receiver, plugs, can weaken the heat treating and cause the trunnion to explode

Is this common knowledge, I can't find any references to this online

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VX666 View Post
    So ummm... "some guy" is saying that mig welding around the front trunnion to the receiver, plugs, can weaken the heat treating and cause the trunnion to explode

"They said artificial sweeteners were safe and Iraq had WMD's and they also said Anna Nicole married for love"................
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

jfk
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Exploding highly unlikely but bolt gap shrinkage is possible due to the amount of heat applied while MIG welding. The heat on the sides can turn the trunion bright red due to the amount of amperage required to get good weld penetration. When welding up the trunion, I do one spot and let it cool down before doing another more as a safety precaution.
    I sold my HK's and bought a whole bunch of Century C93s. The best rifles on the planet bar none. I love the C93 pistols with the 12 o' clock slot!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can the bolt gap shrink, is it adding that much material?

Mig welded mine and I gave it time to cool off, I alternated sides too to give it time to cool as well now I'm weary my gun is going to explode :/

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Normally welding ( depending on the RC and type of steel ) will heat and soften the metal .

jfk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How can the bolt gap shrink, is it adding that much material?

Mig welded mine and I gave it time to cool off, I alternated sides too to give it time to cool as well now I'm weary my gun is going to explode :/
    A 9mm trunion is highly unlikely to explode or have an extreme catastrophic failure. When trunions are made, they go out for heat treatment. The areas that control bolt gap are the curved roller areas. Theses surfaces needed to be hardened because with rollers going back and forth will cause the gap to decrease over time. Hopefully the rollers and locking piece wear first so the end user can replace those and have an optimal functioning weapon for a long time.

The spots that are welded are two points around the front where the hand guard mates up. That area is fairly safe to weld but the spots where heat can be an issue is closer to the rails. This area is pretty thick and the other side is where the bolt/rollers mate up. The possible issue with using a MIG is wire feed rate and amperage. The MIG will feed wire no matter how slow you set the feed rate. Some have slowed the rate down to the slowest setting and raise the amperage up fairly high to get penetration hoping the wire speed is slow enough so there's no excess wire going into the molten puddle.

The advantage to TIG is amperage can be controlled with a foot pedal with no filler being added at all. Some welds can be done with just the TIG torch with no filler material and yield some nice looking spot welds with proper heat penetration but not to the point where the trunion is raised to cherry red. The excess heat can lower or destroy a trunion's hardness rating in this spot which can cause irregular wear and accelerated gap shrinkage. I would hope an experienced welder would MIG the trunion area with these considerations in mind. Even a TIG torch can ruin a trunion without having these concerns in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Assuming there might have been too much heat on the trunnion , during a mig weld, is there a way to re-temper it with say an oven or mapp gas torch (with flame far away) to get the trunnion to 600 degs and let it cool at room temp?

jfk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Assuming there might have been too much heat on the trunnion , during a mig weld, is there a way to re-temper it with say an oven or mapp gas torch (with flame far away) to get the trunnion to 600 degs and let it cool at room temp?

Not that I can think of. Record the bolt gap and re-check after a few thousand rounds and see if the gap shrinks. If the trunion is ruined, it will need to be removed and a new one installed.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That method would result in further softening of the trunnion. I concur with JFK's statement above, the heat applied to the front of the trunnion will not have grossly effected the inner shoulder angles.

A lot of the folklore depends on who made the trunnion.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caf82313 View Post
    "They said artificial sweeteners were safe and Iraq had WMD's and they also said Anna Nicole married for love"................
    [feels palm]Thanks, Gunny.[/feels palm]
    Last edited by diesel1959; 08-23-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Sparkplugs are irrelevant.
    Plenty of HK's and clones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links