Titan Defense upper problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titan Defense upper problems

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trafdeputy View Post
    Thanks. Not having any proper measuring tools, im guessing the next size drill bit would be enough?
    I would consider picking up some basic measuring tools for this type of work. If you cant' measure the hole that's already there how will you know what the next size up will be?

Drill size and decimal equivalent chart

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

currently im running a vented block, but i have a non vented one i can install. Im running a standard buffer and spring non HK. I will try the gas block swap first. Are the roll pins left to right or either side for removal?

Attachment 139553Attachment 139561
    That barrel is more like an 11-11.5"

If you put a genuine hk gas piston with rings it might start working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Copper View Post
    At least you're making progress. The gas port size on a 10.5" barrel can go anywhere from .070 to .093", but If it's cycling at all, you probably don't need to enlarge the gas port much. A few thousands of an inch larger than it is now will probably give you reliable function.
    A 10.39" hk416 has a .059" gas port. Dont use regular AR sizes on an hk or clone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just go to your local hardware store and pick up individual drill bits in sizes 45 through 51. Try them in the current gas port and when you find one that just barely fits in, use the next size larger and so on until you get reliable function. You can always return the bits you don't need. I don't think you can use the HK416 gas port size as a true guide because the Titans don't use the gas rings on their pistons. This isn't rocket science, just go slow and don't enlarge the port too much at a time. But even if you do overdo it, you can switch back to the vented gas block or use a heavier buffer/spring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is the barrel length im working with measured from crush washer to upper at barrel nut.
    Titan Defense upper problems-img_0219.jpg

NoScoE30 you recommend replacing the old non HK piston Titan Defense upper problems-image1.jpg
    with a new one Titan Defense upper problems-sl8gaspiston_1443_thumb.jpgTitan Defense upper problems-g36pistonrings_thumb.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your barrel appears to be between 10.5 and 11" in length (assuming about 1/2" threaded under the flash hider). You don't need the HK piston to get reliable function, you just need a little larger gas port. Henderson Defense in Nevada has run thousands of rounds through their Titan uppers without changing the factory pistons.

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

this is the barrel length im working with measured from crush washer to upper at barrel nut.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG 
Views:	511 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	139633

NoScoE30 you recommend replacing the old non HK piston Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	576 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	139641
    with a new one Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sl8gaspiston_1443_thumb.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	139649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g36pistonrings_thumb.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	139657

Put a couple drops of penetrating oil on each GB Roll pin and drift out either Direction. I have no clue whose DIMS Titan DEF used, but if you swap this it should cycle. I have no clue either wether Titan DEF used the HK Heavy Tungsten filled long buffer and heavy spring? Be careful with this, if your using a short buffer your Carrier key will damage rear of lower receiver when it smacks it.

The GB swap should fix Short Stroking IF they used HK DIMS for Gas Port Hole.

I would set it up exactly like a 416/MR556 as I have to believe they copied DIMS to keep costs at a minimum!!

Doesn't matter if barrel is 10.5" or 11", if bbl gas Port is still in location (+/- 1") it shouldn't make a bit of difference.

If you Have a suppressor, it should also cycle!!
    Last edited by JNAP94; 08-31-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Just so you know, I bought a couple of Titan 14.4" uppers from Todd. I asked him about buying a 16" upper and shortening it to 10.5" and open up the gas port. He said that wouldn't work. He said the 10" Titan uppers actually had a smaller gas port in the 10" barrel than the 14.4" or 16" barrels. He said that the gas blocks are different. I would also recommend changing the extractor spring. The two 14.4" and two 10" Titan uppers plus the recent GSG-9 copy of the 416 10.4" upper all had weak extractor springs.

Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This one started out as a 16" with vented GB and now has non vented. Would be nice to have the correct parts to try out so I know what to buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Just so you know, I bought a couple of Titan 14.4" uppers from Todd. I asked him about buying a 16" upper and shortening it to 10.5" and open up the gas port. He said that wouldn't work. He said the 10" Titan uppers actually had a smaller gas port in the 10" barrel than the 14.4" or 16" barrels. He said that the gas blocks are different. I would also recommend changing the extractor spring. The two 14.4" and two 10" Titan uppers plus the recent GSG-9 copy of the 416 10.4" upper all had weak extractor springs.

Scott
    That's because the 10" gas block is unvented and the 16" is vented. He has tried both and he's still short stroking, which means he needs more gas to cycle the action. And adding an HK 416 piston with rings (that create friction to retard gas pressure) will probably make it worse, not better. I'm 99% sure all he needs to do to solve his issues is enlarge his gas port slightly. Adding an O ring to the extractor is probably good advise though. Short barreled guns need extra extractor strength to work well.
    Last edited by 1Copper; 08-31-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Copper View Post
    That's because the 10" gas block is unvented and the 16" is vented. He has tried both and he's still short stroking, which means he needs more gas to cycle the action. And adding an HK 416 piston with rings (that create friction to retard gas pressure) will probably make it worse, not better. I'm 99% sure all he needs to do to solve his issues is enlarge his gas port slightly. Adding an O ring to the extractor is probably good advise though. Short barreled guns need extra extractor strength to work well.

Hey, the piston rings work just like the ones in your car. They help seal the gases so the piston gets more oomf. Not to add friction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links