C308 Muzzle Brake Removed?

Thread: C308 Muzzle Brake Removed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default C308 Muzzle Brake Removed?

Greetings. I've lurked on this forum for many years and value all of the many opinions and remedies presented. I just purchased a Century C308. With the price, I couldn't refuse to take the gamble. About 15 years ago, I purchased the Century CETME 308 called the Black Widow. I can hands down say the C308 it a hundred times better! My question is, although the chevron muzzle brake is receiving good reviews, I like the more traditional HK flash suppressor look. Has anyone tried to remove the pinned and welded sleeve/adaptor (I'm assuming), that allows the chevron muzzle break to thread on? If anyone has done this, are there standard PTR threads on the barrel under the sleeve/adaptor which would allow mounting of another muzzle device similar to the originals? Thanks for the help!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The threads depend on when Century made it and whether made from imported parts set with surplus barrels. One way to try to remove it is determine where the weld is, drill it down past the weld and use magnet to get the plug out of the hole. The 2 I did I couldnt see the weld evidence and became frustrated trying to determine where the plug was. Took dremel with cutoff wheel. Scored both sides along length, the area of the break forward of the barrel I cut all the way through along the centerline holes. Took a metal chisel and drove down into the cut splitting the break in half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks gulfstategaurd. I may have accidently replied twice. Yes, the sleeve/adapter has what appears to be blind pin welds at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Removal of them should be straightforward. Would be really nice to discover it to have the standard PTR threads underneath.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought CAI said that they went with a standard American threadpitch, so that any AR10 muzzle devices could be easily used on the C308, unlike the previous CETME rifles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also just jumped into a C308 on a labor day sale of $449. I have put about 200 rounds of DAG and FNM without a single issue and after a thorough field stripping I found that the chevron muzzle break was hand loose (just gripped it and turned). The threads underneath are 5/8x24. My understanding is that the barrel and receiver are new PTR so I'm not aware of any adaptor that may exist here. I was intrigued how Century may have affixed the chevron break and it seems like the answer is 'poorly'.... or properly in my case as I wanted to toss a different device on there anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So far I love the rifle. Haven't yet had a chance to shoot it. An HK it's not, but for the price they are right now and with the barrels and receivers and assembly by PTR, i'm happy. But what I find strange is, the barrel has a pinned and welded sleeve over it which is threaded to 5/8X24. I'm assuming the barrel length is 18" . Are there threads underneath the sleeve? Are they standard HK thread pattern that would accept the standard HK flash suppressor (USA made, of course)? Wonder why when bringing a rebuilt rifle to market and trying to reduce manufacturing costs that they (CIA) would go to the lengths of going back to the AWB era and pin and weld the adapter on. I'm just interested in cleaning it up. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose they want any standard .308 muzzle device to fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An AR-10 'A-2' muzzle device is very similar to the HK flash hider and doubles as a brake if timed using timing or crush washer(s). Palmetto Arms has them in stock for $15.00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know what the threads on the older century cetmes? I bought mine back in 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Standard HK 15 x 1

Sponsored Links