PTR91 front sight pin removal?

Thread: PTR91 front sight pin removal?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default PTR91 front sight pin removal?

Gentlemen,
    I recently purchased a set of Meprolight night sights for my PTR91 and I have installed the rear sights w/ no problem. The front sight is a different story. I cannot get the front sight pin removed in order to install the new night sight in its place. I tried searching the forum and was not able to specifically find anything pertaining to the removal of the front sight pin of a G3/HK91/PTR91 rifle. I did find a thread on the MP5 front sight removal (which I think should be pretty close?) saying to knock the pin out from the front to the back (due to it being tapered) and then install the pin in reverse order. I have put some pretty firm strikes on the pin and it hasn't budged. Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you manage to resolve it? Thanks for the help!
    HK USP45
    HK USP9
    HK Stainless USP45c
    Colt Stainless S70 1911 Government
    Colt 6920 Trooper
    PTR91 GI

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I can't comment as to the front sight pin but when I changed out the cocking lever on one of my PTR91s it took some pretty hard hits to get the pin holding it to budge. I would imagine the sight pin has to be a tight fit to withstand the recoil of .308 ammo.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolph Hitler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I found your question in my search for help with exactly the same problem.

The G3 Armorer's Manual describes the process on page 10.

Here are two clues you may or may not have found already:
    1) In the footnote, the required tool is described as "Pin punch, dia. 3.5".
    2) The text doesn't describe the direction, but the exploded parts diagram shows the pin behind the front sight and its holder. From that depiction, one might infer we need to drive it out from the front.

PTR91 front sight pin removal?-g3-front-sight.png

However...

I tried pushing it both directions,
    with a 3.5mm flat-face punch
    and with both 1/8" (3.175mm) and 5/32" (3.96875mm) roll pin punches,
    (5/32" didn't fit into the rear)
    and couldn't get it to budge.

I stopped when I saw I was deforming the front of the pin with the 1/8" roll pin punch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I cannot drive the pins from the front to the rear out. I drive the pins from the rear of the base out. Reassembly, I drive the pin in from the front. What makes it a little more difficult is that PTR powder coats the front sight in place. I don't understand why they do this, but it makes a mess out of the finish on the globe. I'm not really sure when they started doing it this way, but their current models all feature front sights that have been installed prior to coating.

ETA: I use a roll pin punch when I remove the pin, but a standard one would work so long as it's a good fit. Those pins can be in there fairly tight as well. I fought with one for a good 15 minutes before I got it out.
    Last edited by lionhart; 03-26-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

You might try @Ghilliebear from Parabellum Combat Systems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMason View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I recently purchased a set of Meprolight night sights for my PTR91 and I have installed the rear sights w/ no problem. The front sight is a different story. I cannot get the front sight pin removed in order to install the new night sight in its place. I tried searching the forum and was not able to specifically find anything pertaining to the removal of the front sight pin of a G3/HK91/PTR91 rifle. I did find a thread on the MP5 front sight removal (which I think should be pretty close?) saying to knock the pin out from the front to the back (due to it being tapered) and then install the pin in reverse order. I have put some pretty firm strikes on the pin and it hasn't budged. Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you manage to resolve it? Thanks for the help!
    I had the exact same issue. And like lionhart stated, the powdercoat over the pin on PTRs does not help. I was afraid to hit it any harder. Thought about applying some heat to see if that might loosen it a bit, but quit instead. Didn't want it to get to the aggravated stage where it got personal...

Sponsored Links