PTR-91 GI looking to move to glass
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PTR-91 GI looking to move to glass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR-91 GI looking to move to glass

Long story short, I shoot biathlon with my PTR-91 GI which is a earlier version that I have installed a tac-latch on. It does not have the scope rail atop it and I'm going to be shooting several matches in 2018 where there are targets out to 600 yards where there is only 1 shot permitted. I have the irons on my particular rifle tuned for out to 500 yards on a IDPA target however 600 starts to really push it for this set up.

Obviously I came here because I long ago decided the HK system is the best for me to get through these muddy endurance races and so far my rifle has never failed me. I've decided the 2018 season is going to see a upgrade to optics however as targets that are at any distance past 300 and in the brush get hard to spot really fast when you're winded and have run a couple of miles to that point.

I purchased a 1-6 Strike Eagle to try for this application, rings will be decided after the next part is decided on.

1. Should I get something like the MFI 5.5" universal mount to mount to my current GI rifle and save the bucks
    - I'm worried it will work loose.....really worried as well it will not hold zero. These races are not something to have equipment fail during....
    - I'm worried it will be too short....even with 5.5" of rail its shorter than a Midwest industries QD one piece ring which is awkward in my mind.

OR

2. Pony up the money and get a new PTR-91 GI-R model
    - Lot more $$$$$
    - Break in and adjust irons again to my liking
    Last edited by Verschlussrolle; 12-20-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MichaelE likes this.
    HK USPc 9mm
    HK USPc 40S&W/357Sig SS
    HK G36 conversion
    HK UMP45 conversion
    Vector V53
    HK M27 clone
    HK VP9
    HK P7M8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Couple of reasons I'm not going with anything claw mounted
    1. I run with the retractable stock currently and the cheek weld may be iffy with a low mount but I know with the claw mount it'll be far too high,.
    2. I'm not impressed with the Z-24 reticle

Thanks for the thought though, Its a awesome retro look however its just too pricey to give a trial period to knowing that is 7-8/10's the cost of a railed version of what I'm working with now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

None of the above. Get the universal B&T mount. It's rock solid when installed. The MFI mounts can be temperamental to install and if not done perfectly can work loose, especially when given a good bump. I only use the MFI for light weight optics.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/B-T-...t-95p16878.htm
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

When facing the same dilemma with a HK91 I decided to buy a DT rail and have Jeff at PCS weld it onto the receiver (among other things). Requires a refinish, but I'm having it painted anyway. I should get it back after Christmas but I've seen pics and Jeff's work looks as great as advertised. Another option.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You could also look for a 1200 meter rear sight if you wanted to save weight by keeping irons, doesn't help you with spotting the targets though.
    rjinga likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

FAB Defense G3-SM, rail, Israeli made, attaches to claw mounts, sits low, allows iron sights use, mine has stayed on tight, holds zero, about 125 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    FAB Defense G3-SM, rail, Israeli made, attaches to claw mounts, sits low, allows iron sights use, mine has stayed on tight, holds zero, about 125 bucks.
    That's a good option....and a lot longer mounting area, I'm not sure the 5.5" the MFI offers is nearly long enough for my needs. What kind of use has your rifle with this mount seen since you installed it?

Also does it have the cutout for the locating tap in front of the rear sight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still looking for additional info on the FAB mount before I buy one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went an inexpensive route and tried the Leapers UTG rail mount. So far no complaints for it's price point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links