MP5 vs PTR91
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socalmp5
  • 1 Post By Socalmp5

Thread: MP5 vs PTR91

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default MP5 vs PTR91

Why are MP5 clones from companies like Zenith so much more expensive than roller delayed rifle caliber guns such as the PTR91? I'd imagine machining parts for a more powerful caliber would be more expensive but a Zenith MP5 is ~$2k whereas a PTR91 is <$1k. Is it just a difference in the quality the companies provide? I know this is sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There are more G3 rifles produced than MP5s, more parts about, MP5s have aways been more desirable, there are less of them, and until recently there were less build options, braces were non existent, SBR paperwork people were either ignorant you could do it or didnt want the aggravation of the paperwork. The concept of building as a pistol also discouraged people. All of it adds up to they command more money and not many people were willing to invest the capital to produce parts for a project that might have their investment sitting on a shelf collecting dust for years. Talk with anyone in the business about having to do a run of 200 of something to bring the cost of something down where it is worthwhile and watch their eyes narrow as they think of their shelves full of those parts years later tying up that investment. Most people in the industry can tell you stories about that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Makes sense. I didn't consider the surplus market for G3 type rifles. At least now it seems like more manufacturers are getting into the MP5 game slowly but surely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MKE isn't producing surplus rifles from surplus parts though, you only explain the reason why we've historically been paying more for MP5 products before the likes of MKE and POF. But MKE now makes to order these larger caliber rifles and the parts that go into them...that answer cannot apply anymore.

Historic prices now become the answer. I'm sure the profit margin on the MP5's that MKE is making is significantly more than the other rifles they sell, because of the original answer you provided, we've been paying more, why stop now?

It's your fault, and his fault and my fault because we keep paying the prices. Therefore, obviously the prices aren't "too" high or we would stop.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ptr isn't using surplus stuff for major components....

Mp5s have a markup... untill there are 5 companies making bolt groups and other major components... parts will stay the same or go up...

Who set the bar at $1500 for most German mp5 basic demil kits.

why are most mp5 parts, 3 times the price over ar15s?
    Most parts are comparable in machine work..

Ptr can sell 91s for under a grand, they are the same work for an mp5... only reason the new mp5 is double is because they can!
    wallyaf likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

well they think they can.... we will see, there want exactly a warm and sunny response to PTR delivering the news of an MP5 to market due solely to price. I think that most members here are excited. they are however, upset at PTR for charging WAY too much instead of sweeping the market. this could have been an easy slam dunk for PTR and could have bought them more market... we will see if their prices drop. I for one personally won't buy a $2k PTR 9x19 rifle when one could time an sp5k for 2.2k that is ALL genuine HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalmp5 View Post
    Ptr isn't using surplus stuff for major components....

Mp5s have a markup... untill there are 5 companies making bolt groups and other major components... parts will stay the same or go up...

Who set the bar at $1500 for most German mp5 basic demil kits.

why are most mp5 parts, 3 times the price over ar15s?
    Most parts are comparable in machine work..

Ptr can sell 91s for under a grand, they are the same work for an mp5... only reason the new mp5 is double is because they can!

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassstalker View Post
    well they think they can.... we will see, there want exactly a warm and sunny response to PTR delivering the news of an MP5 to market due solely to price. I think that most members here are excited. they are however, upset at PTR for charging WAY too much instead of sweeping the market. this could have been an easy slam dunk for PTR and could have bought them more market... we will see if their prices drop. I for one personally won't buy a $2k PTR 9x19 rifle when one could time an sp5k for 2.2k that is ALL genuine HK.
    I agree... $1k with standard features would sell like crazy
    wallyaf likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Isn't that the price range that the PSA MP5 will supposedly be at? Though everyone has been crapping all over those too.

As to the PTR pricing, I do agree. I know PTR is having to cover the costs of new equipment and staff training to roll out their new MP5s, but simply materials wise (assuming they are building everything in house), it should be cheaper to make an MP5 than it is to make a 91. So, unless they are having to source parts externally (which they might be doing), I agree in thinking it is a mistake for them to be hitting the market above 3 of the currently available and viable clones on the market and so close to the HK SP5K.

Sponsored Links