PTR-91 GI impact shifts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 GI impact shifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR-91 GI impact shifts

Anybody else notice their PTR-91 GI impacts starting to drift after a magazine or two? At 300 yards I have the need to make good shots after a mag or two (one shot, one hit) type deal in these matches I'm running in. Mine seems to shoot to the right by 12" or more at 300 yards and then it will return to zero if I let it cool all the way down.

I'm leaning towards the thinner barrel and stresses from machining and installation, when I go to upgrade either with a re-barrel or a new build should I just get a heavier barrel or custom build? I need to eventually reach out to 600 and hopefully beyond.

Note-Using a FAB clamp on scope base and strike eagle 1-6 though I've noticed the same thing when shooting irons, caused me to DNF a stage last year with a 300 yard plate (used irons at the time because I've always shot with irons even at 1000 yards at Camp Perry). I had slow fired zeroed the rifle but in that stage I ran a mag through the gun in about 20 seconds leading up to the further shot.....the things we learn after that buzzer goes off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you plan on going to 600 and beyond you are going to have to make some major upgrades in addition to the barrel IMO... trigger, welded scope mount, stock cheek rest... think SR9TC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, welded mount would take out a lot of the questioning about the results I'm getting currently. Just got a new trigger pack worked over by Bill Springfield with a flat trigger and that has got me on the right road. What kind of scope would you recommend for 0-600 yard work?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You’ll be ok. Almost every rifle does this when they get hot. You don’t need a super powered scope to shoot to 600, it’s not that far. All you need is a 4x scope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post
    You’ll be ok. Almost every rifle does this when they get hot. You don’t need a super powered scope to shoot to 600, it’s not that far. All you need is a 4x scope.
    The degree of which they deflect though has much to do about the stresses in the barrel when they are machined. My 91 just has a bad case of the drifts I guess when it gets heated. I've had several heavy barreled target rifles that are bolt guns intended for slow fire only, the type of event I shoot though might have stages were you go through 30 or more rounds in less than 3 minutes going out to 600. I'm wondering if the FR barrels are a little better since they are nearly a straight bull barrel, take longer to warm up and have more stable harmonics. I've been considering the FR as a upgrade since the cost to get my current rig sent out, welded, rebarreled and refinished would be half of a new rifle.

As a side question does the FR take standard hand-guards since it comes with that aluminum forearm job?

I know a 4x scope is a good start for optics for 600 yards but some of these targets they are using can be pretty beat up and its rare one gets a freshly painted target if ever. As I was taught late last year if you can't see it you can't hit it and its awfully hard to see a grey 10" steel plate at 600 when all the paint is gone.

My 1-6 Strike eagle has worked so far for what I have in it but for next year I may move to the 1-8 just because they offer it.
    Last edited by Verschlussrolle; 03-13-2018 at 04:57 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you can fit the FR to standard handguards but it doesn’t truly fit.m without cobbling and one guy on YouTube had his wide handguard melt a bitty his PTR bull barrel. I believe it won’t be free floating either. The FR (I was told by PTR) will be more accurate when the barre heats up like thicker barrels are supposed to be.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

There are also the reciever rail reinforcements to further stiffen the reciever. If you are going to have a rail mounted and barrel swapped you might as well do the complete reciever upgrade while you are at it. There are the PSG1 style barrels and trunnion extensions to more closely follow the original designs of an MSG90 or PSG clone. For the labor investment it seriously may be worth your while to ensure your money is well placed instead of just a PTR style upgrade of a single part or 2 and a minimal improvement on the capabilities.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A 4x optic for 600m? Maybe for gong plinking.. but even for relative accuracy you're bound to 16x power and up.

Especially a 4x like the Hensoldt ZF24 Fero or ACOG is way to crude to do serious shooting.. even at 100m (1,5 MOA sized targets). It is "suitable" for man sized targets out to 600m though.

Just my 2 cents..
    Taktisch ausweichen, später anschließen!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verschlussrolle View Post
    The degree of which they deflect though has much to do about the stresses in the barrel when they are machined. My 91 just has a bad case of the drifts I guess when it gets heated. I've had several heavy barreled target rifles that are bolt guns intended for slow fire only, the type of event I shoot though might have stages were you go through 30 or more rounds in less than 3 minutes going out to 600. I'm wondering if the FR barrels are a little better since they are nearly a straight bull barrel, take longer to warm up and have more stable harmonics. I've been considering the FR as a upgrade since the cost to get my current rig sent out, welded, rebarreled and refinished would be half of a new rifle.

As a side question does the FR take standard hand-guards since it comes with that aluminum forearm job?

I know a 4x scope is a good start for optics for 600 yards but some of these targets they are using can be pretty beat up and its rare one gets a freshly painted target if ever. As I was taught late last year if you can't see it you can't hit it and its awfully hard to see a grey 10" steel plate at 600 when all the paint is gone.

My 1-6 Strike eagle has worked so far for what I have in it but for next year I may move to the 1-8 just because they offer it.
    My 91F..bull barrel, take the HK wide hand guard w/o issue but a slim hg has to be heavily moded to work.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    --Samuel Adams

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    There are also the reciever rail reinforcements to further stiffen the reciever. If you are going to have a rail mounted and barrel swapped you might as well do the complete reciever upgrade while you are at it. There are the PSG1 style barrels and trunnion extensions to more closely follow the original designs of an MSG90 or PSG clone. For the labor investment it seriously may be worth your while to ensure your money is well placed instead of just a PTR style upgrade of a single part or 2 and a minimal improvement on the capabilities.
    The first thing that came to my mind after reading the first post was "how hot is the receiver getting?" I agree that the stiffening rails and a welded pic rail would be a good thing to try with minimal investment before changing the barrel. I don't see a consistent right shift coming from the barrel, I'd expect a hot barrel to give more of a shotgun patterning. Is there a weight consideration for the rifle in these matches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links