Z43p and HK steel mags
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Z43p and HK steel mags

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Z43p and HK steel mags

Hello all!
    I have a Z43p and love it. I recently purchased a few new HK steel 30 rounds mags for it as I am a bit skeptical of the entirely polymer MKE mags. The MKE mags lock into the gun nice and snug. The HK steel mags rattle like a soup can be I g dragged down a gravel road. I always read that the HK steel mags usually fit the "snuggest" of all the magazines, yet they are pretty loose in my Z43.

Is this cause for concern? Is there any way to fix it? I imagine that to get the steel mags snug would make the polymer mags no longer fit....Will the loose mags cause malfunctions?

I plan to go to the range this weekend but wanted to get some insight here first...

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandalay View Post

Is this cause for concern? Is there any way to fix it? I imagine that to get the steel mags snug would make the polymer mags no longer fit....Will the loose mags cause malfunctions?
    I haven't tried my steel mags in my Z43, will give it a try this weekend. My steel's work great in my C93 and C93 pistol, but neither of those will fit the MKE poly mags (tight and won't lock up). I don't see any way to make the steel mags fit snug in the Z43 without making it to tight for the MKE mags (or even how to go about that). Only trying it out will tell if the steels will cause a malfunction. I'll try mine when I get home this weekend and report back. The Zenith is definitely optimized to use the MKE Poly mags

Last edited by MtnRider; 03-20-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all, HK Steel magazines were made to fit real HKs, where the dimensions of their guns are always within tight tolerances. Clones or licencee guns may have different or loser tolerances.

If the magazine is loose by rocking it forwards and backwards in the mag well, then it maybe the magazine catch, the part that locks into the magazine, is undersized or off cantered.

If the magazine is loose by rocking it left to right, then the mag well it too wide.

I have fixed 93/53 clone left / right loose mag wells in the past by reducing the size of the mag well's width. You can do this inserting a wood block that fits tightly into the mag well or a steel magazine if necessary, and then place the mag well in a padded vice and slowly reduce the mag well's width dimension until the magazines fit just right. Reduce the width in an incremental fashion, testing the fit with multiple magazines before reducing the width any further.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkfanman View Post
    First of all, HK Steel magazines were made to fit real HKs, where the dimensions of their guns are always within tight tolerances. Clones or licencee guns may have different or loser tolerances.

If the magazine is loose by rocking it forwards and backwards in the mag well, then it maybe the magazine catch, the part that locks into the magazine, is undersized or off cantered.

If the magazine is loose by rocking it left to right, then the mag well it too wide.

I have fixed 93/53 clone left / right loose mag wells in the past by reducing the size of the mag well's width. You can do this inserting a wood block that fits tightly into the mag well or a steel magazine if necessary, and then place the mag well in a padded vice and slowly reduce the mag well's width dimension until the magazines fit just right. Reduce the width in an incremental fashion, testing the fit with multiple magazines before reducing the width any further.
    Thanks for the reply. The steel mags move in all directions; side to side and front to back. The MKE poly mags are solid in the well. I may try swapping out the mag catch, but if I use the clamp method you described it would likely negate the use of the MKE mags.

I suppose only being able to use HK steel mags isn't the worst thing in the world....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRider View Post
    I haven't tried my steel mags in my Z43, will give it a try this weekend. My steel's work great in my C93 and C93 pistol, but neither of those will fit the MKE poly mags (tight and won't lock up). I don't see any way to make the steel mags fit snug in the Z43 without making it to tight for the MKE mags (or even how to go about that). Only trying it out will tell if the steels will cause a malfunction. I'll try mine when I get home this weekend and report back. The Zenith is definitely optimized to use the MKE Poly mags

I'm very curious to see your results....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the the clamp method would limit you to just HK mags, which I would be OK with since I am not a fan of plastic mags.

You could either try wrapping the top section of the HK steel mags with some thick tape to increase the width of the mags or apply tiny tack spot welds to certain areas of the mags to prevent the movement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is an interesting situation. I understand that Century products in the HK style weapons have issues have issues because they have some real quality control voids. I suspect the Zenith guns were designed with a larger mag well because Zenith or MKE knew they wanted to make their own polymer mag and just opened up that mag well on all their 5.56 guns a tad to accommodate that fact. The polymers needed a certain wall thickness that the original dimensioned mag well may not have allowed for enough material.

A somewhat similar situation, but not really, is the fact that an L1A1 will accept Metric mags, but they can dangle and rattle like you described the HK mags doing. The larger front tab on the Inch pattern mags makes for a stronger interface, but it limits what mags you may like best in that rifle.

If MKE mags are still available, I would archive your HK steels for another day and get all MKE plastics. Run those until they give out for reasons unknown as of this date and if you can't get more, squeeze that mag well and run HK steel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post

If MKE mags are still available, I would archive your HK steels for another day and get all MKE plastics. Run those until they give out for reasons unknown as of this date and if you can't get more, squeeze that mag well and run HK steel.
    This is what I have been doing (and why I have not even tried my steel mags in it) MKE's are like $35 vs the steel at $80+. Seem to be out of stock right now but they come and go like most of this import stuff. Heck, If I could get the polymers to work in my C93's I would use them all the way around. I have no issue running the poly's. They are pretty tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I went to the range and used the MKE mags, HK steel, and HK aluminum. The steel and aluminum mags rattle like crazy, but I had zero malfunctions of any kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
    This is an interesting situation. I understand that Century products in the HK style weapons have issues have issues because they have some real quality control voids. I suspect the Zenith guns were designed with a larger mag well because Zenith or MKE knew they wanted to make their own polymer mag and just opened up that mag well on all their 5.56 guns a tad to accommodate that fact. The polymers needed a certain wall thickness that the original dimensioned mag well may not have allowed for enough material.

A somewhat similar situation, but not really, is the fact that an L1A1 will accept Metric mags, but they can dangle and rattle like you described the HK mags doing. The larger front tab on the Inch pattern mags makes for a stronger interface, but it limits what mags you may like best in that rifle.

I suspect your right about the magwell dimensions. I dont know why I didn't think of it sooner, but when I get home I will measure the width of the MKE mags and the HK mag to see what the size difference is.

For now, I will primarily stock MKE mags I suppose and buy a few HK mags as deals pop up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links