re-finishing a ptr

Thread: re-finishing a ptr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default re-finishing a ptr

Hello all, I just acquired a first gen JLD -ptr91 that was trashed. It had been spray bombed and just abused. I stripped all internals out and got it down to just the receiver, barrel and cocking tube and then stripped the paint off layer by layer with stripper and elbow grease. I've got it down to the base now. I guess it's anondized? Has a nice battleship grey finish to it. Only one small place where that finish is gone and there's shiny metal. I'm happy with this as a starting place. I bought a Rhodesian paint kit on fal files and planned on doing a rhodie paint job on it in the future. I've always wanted one and sonce this one was trashed already, I felt like it was a good candidate as I won't ever get a real deal rhodie G3 in a million years and Fal's are a little out of my price range at the moment. My question is this, what's the best way to proceed from here? Should I lay down a basespray layer of primer or is that what the grey finish on it now is? The paint kit is brush applied. so thought it might be prudent to apply a base spray layer first. This is my first time trying to paint a gun so any opinions or info is very helpful....no such thing as bad info as I am ignorant at present.

It's a shame someone trashed this gun. It is a first generation JLD and was at one time a nice rifle I'm sure. Has a bull barrel with no flash hider. Any opinions on whether I should thread the barrel for a flash hider or leave as is? Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding the flash hider, obviously it's your gun, your choice. I used to own a JLD rifle, serial number A13xx that was built after the assault rifle ban expired in 2004. JLD was still using the unthreaded bull barrels they had on hand at the time. Rather than thread the barrel, they drilled out the threads of a HK G3 flash hider just large enough for the hider to slip over the end of the barrel. Then they drilled, pinned and welded the flash hider in place. The rifle looked good and functioned fine with this modification. Just saying that this might be a simpler, cheaper fix than threading the barrel if you want to add the flash hider. If 922r parts are a concern, Investment Grade Firearms sells a U.S. made press on flash hider along with their threaded flash hiders. Link is here: Investment Grade Firearms ? HK Birdcage Flash Hiders and Brakes HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
    Regarding the flash hider, obviously it's your gun, your choice. I used to own a JLD rifle, serial number A13xx that was built after the assault rifle ban expired in 2004. JLD was still using the unthreaded bull barrels they had on hand at the time. Rather than thread the barrel, they drilled out the threads of a HK G3 flash hider just large enough for the hider to slip over the end of the barrel. Then they drilled, pinned and welded the flash hider in place. The rifle looked good and functioned fine with this modification. Just saying that this might be a simpler, cheaper fix than threading the barrel if you want to add the flash hider. If 922r parts are a concern, Investment Grade Firearms sells a U.S. made press on flash hider along with their threaded flash hiders. Link is here: Investment Grade Firearms ? HK Birdcage Flash Hiders and Brakes HTH
    Thanks for the tip. This is an early one serial # A 07** . I will probably leave it as is. I've wanted an early PTR for a while now and when I bought this one thinking of painting, I didn't know until I had it in hand that it was an early one. Now thinling of just restoring rather than painting rhodie style. But the gun has been shot to death. The bore is weak so it's a good candidate for paint job. Just hate it's in such rough shape. Thanks again for the tip on flash hider.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crabcatcher View Post
    Thanks for the tip. This is an early one serial # A 07** . I will probably leave it as is. I've wanted an early PTR for a while now and when I bought this one thinking of painting, I didn't know until I had it in hand that it was an early one. Now thinling of just restoring rather than painting rhodie style. But the gun has been shot to death. The bore is weak so it's a good candidate for paint job. Just hate it's in such rough shape. Thanks again for the tip on flash hider.
    I would give Copper Custom try.
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Sponsored Links