Gunsmith may have destroy the front portion of my threads... Any fixes or am I sol?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gunsmith may have destroy the front portion of my threads... Any fixes or am I sol?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gunsmith may have destroy the front portion of my threads... Any fixes or am I sol?

This is a form 1'd omega 9 rifle. So it had a faux can on it. I had my Smith remove the can. He didn't return the protector and I didn't pay too much mind of it. I received my omega 9k pistol late last week and upon inspection of both, realized the thread protector from the 9k did not fit the sbr. I bought a new protector at 1/2x28 from hk parts and that did not fit either. Looking at both I'm realizing my Smith may have screwed the pooch and destroyed the front threads. How? I don't know. Is there any possible fix to this? Maybe a 1/2x30 thread protector?

Its safe to say I'm not ever going to him for any barrel work any more.

https://imgur.com/AMitShx

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

An in focus picture would help people give you an answer or suggestions.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolph Hitler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll take better ones tonight.

This was a placeholder for the time being.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

A competent HK gunsmith may be able to chase the threads to fix them.

I have lightly filed away damaged thread portions of pulled Yugoslavian M70 barrels before using them (AK-47) to get them to accept a muzzle device. AKs have 14x1LH threads, so it was easy to tell visually what needed addressing. You can hardly tell anything was done to them. Be careful with this, and go very little at a time, it doesn't take much, or it didn't in my case with the AK barrels. An HK is a much finer weapon from a manufacturing standpoint, so this is probably not the best option if it can be chased. Hard to tell by the current picture, but the threads appear to be pretty fine. Closely examine them to see if you see any threads that are spaced closer together than they should be, then file a bit between them, that's what I look for on my dirty communist AK barrels.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Are you sure your rifle does not have 1/2x32 threads? Just a thought.

You can order a 1/2x28 die and chase your threads. Matter of fact they are handy to have if you shoot and move suppressors often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can order a 1/2x28 die and chase your threads. Matter of fact they are handy to have if you shoot and move suppressors often.
    +1 on this

SAIGA 223 AR15 BARREL THREADING DIE

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

First determine whether the threads are SAE or metric then buy or borrow a thread file and repair the threads.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes, its a bad picture and the threads do look pretty fine like 32's. Also, look at the non-threaded section at the muzzle tip. It looks like it was threaded in a manner to index on the nose similar to 13.5x1 LH. However... if it is 1/2 x (28 or 32) then why relieve the nose to a sub diameter? Those designations use the available threading to establish proper run out and index against the barrel shoulder. Wouldn't be typical, but is it possible the fake can was pinned / welded in that area and it had to be turned down that way?
    Last edited by rickj1nd; 05-14-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

https://imgur.com/a/l26v3fT

Sorry for the original crap pic.

Here's some better ones.

Looking at it closer... Rickj1nd maybe right. When I take my finger nail and slide it over the smooth area, I feel I shallow notch. My lighting is poor and my flashlight washes the threads out, but from what I can tell, there is a start to the thread and it isn't maimed from sight & feel in less than perfect conditions.

4c Dragon I was thinking the same. So the 2 protectors have fit fine on my mp5k. That's definitely 1/2x28. Atlantic's own website regarding the om9 rifles says they're 1/2x28 as well and most of the Google fu has pointed to this pitch too. I was thinking a 1/2x32 could possibly fit over it but there would be play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, the faux can was pinned into the top of one of the bottom lugs. Thereby preserving the threads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links