T36 receivers - Page 40
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: T36 receivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redmax29 View Post
    I got to ask now with two months gone by with the receivers out in the wild. To those of you that had problems initially with bolt and trunnion wear or BCG play in the reciever. As you have put more and more rounds down range; is tom's cam pin fix still holding up to the job? Any unique or excessive wear noticed? Cycling or function issues appearing? I am about to have a gsg9 k barrel installed on mine and it's being partnered with a german 00 coded BCG. Mainly, trying to follow up to see if people are finding out they have 2.5k problem children or GTG kraut space kombat rifles and what to really keep my eye out for in mine once received.
    I haven't been able to really put a lot through my GSG9 K rifle but I'm up to 800 rounds now with no issues. Nothing on the gun shows any excess wear, or any wear to speak of so far. My only complaints are the stock being a little long for good eye relief on the 3x optic as I mentioned earlier, the other is the extended prong flash hider tends to act more like a brake. When shooting near a lane divider I tend to get particles and junk thrown out at high speed, bouncing off the divider and peppering my arm.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglebutt View Post
    How could you not do this?!
    I didn't even know that was possible, or I should say I didn't realize anyone would try that. They must have modified the carrier to trip a trigger back with a sear because the semi auto receivers block a factory G36 "auto" carrier.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    I didn't even know that was possible, or I should say I didn't realize anyone would try that. They must have modified the carrier to trip a trigger back with a sear because the semi auto receivers block a factory G36 "auto" carrier.
    Carrier was modified to clear the semi auto block.

I just shot his gun with the post sample bolt/trigger pack setup vs taking it apart to put it in mine. It came down to shooting his k in full auto with an optic or my k in full auto without one as I didn't bring it. If he had a C or E gun then I prob would have. Another SOT had a C gun at the shoot. Interesting setup but since I'm not a sot it doesn't really matter to me. I just shot his gun in full auto and burst, mine in semi, and then fired a bunch of other guns including the 2 transferable guns I brought to the shoot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    Carrier was modified to clear the semi auto block.

I just shot his gun with the post sample bolt/trigger pack setup vs taking it apart to put it in mine. It came down to shooting his k in full auto with an optic or my k in full auto without one as I didn't bring it. If he had a C or E gun then I prob would have. Another SOT had a C gun at the shoot. Interesting setup but since I'm not a sot it doesn't really matter to me. I just shot his gun in full auto and burst, mine in semi, and then fired a bunch of other guns including the 2 transferable guns I brought to the shoot.
    Sounds like a fine firearm. I am a bit puzzled on how his modified carrier fit into an unmodified receiver though. The part of the carrier that trips the hammer actuator (sear) in the fire control group for full auto operation is what hangs up on the semi auto block "shelf" and if removed, I do not think it would reliably, if at all contact the sear in the trigger pack. He could have removed one side of the carrier that trips the sear, and the corresponding side of the shelf which would modify the receiver to accept the modified carrier which would work, and not accept an unmodified G36 carrier. This would certainly be a gray area though.

I realize it's not your weapon, so the details are likely unknown to you and frankly none of my business. I'm just curious, and enjoy these G36s. :)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Finally was able to get to the range for a function check. It ran flawlessly and was able to shoot suppressed as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was great to read all the success stories. I just got mine in the mail via local ffl Wednesday and now know what to look for. Always great info on the site. I assume mine is a batch or two ahead of the first run. Hopefully some of the issues are corrected by now. I will say Tom has done some work on my usc conversion and I have always been happy. Great service. Waiting on mandrel and a few odds and ends before I can start assembling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just got the receiver in as well, went to pick it up this morning. Came home and did some fitment checks. Hk G36 bcg with original components (original unmodified cam pin, carrier ground down to accept semi-shelf) works well. Looks like Tom must have tightened up the slop side to side compared to the earlier batch, or the metal plate inside where the cam pin rides got perhaps a bit thicker now to catch the cam pin better during the rearward travel of the bolt... I see no issues here. Grip fitment is tighter compared to the old two-piece design version which I also have so I seem to have to file down the trigger housing a bit more at the front part of it. Hk original (new) barrel nut is really snug in the plastic sleeve at the trunnion part... perhaps gsg9 barrel nut is a thinner profile? Not sure on this one. Anyone with the GSG9 front end kit chime in? Overall, the nylon plastic material is outstanding, much more harder yet seems supple enough for heavy duty work... feels more similar to SL8 plastic they use. the earlier two piece design version felt brittle in comparison as I have been afraid to work the stock locking action too hard on that one for the fear of possibly cracking it. Stock retention in the closed configuration seems also a lot better and more substantial and secure. The profile of the notch on top of the ejection deflector is different on the new version, wider and not as tall resulting in easy engagement but a secur hold when folded.
    Overall, I am very impressed by this version of the frame. Just need to figure out the tightness of the barrel nut, see if that is hk original versus gsg9 specifications of the nut...

A little more update: mag catch is not locking up too well. I am getting a new hk mag catch shortly so hopefull that solves it. (Also as per other posters stating that the provided catch was out of spec) Also the trigger pack is quite tight in there, that's after grinding off the upper tabs and the front part that contacts the receiver recess. This pack fits the first generation two piece design just perfectly but more needed to be filed down to fit this one. I think I will go ahead and get the gsg9 barrel nut and see if that fits less snug in the trunnion part...

Update: magazine catch issue resolved. You just slap it hard! It doesn't lock up easy and straight like the 1st generation two piece design. This second-gen has a little ledge at the bottom of the trunnion where the front lip of the mag meets the trunnion bottom. First generation is completely flat there at the face of the trunnion. This catches the mag and puts it in at a slight tilt when inserted slowly. When you slap it in, mag seems to just go over this ledge and locks up, bolt hold open also works... I guess as a function of use, I expect this to loosen up a bit so it's good. Just barrel nut tightness issue remains, waiting for a gsg9 nut to get here next week...
    Last edited by a2058; 10-29-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so the barrel was installed using the factory nut. It was tight and I used some sand paper to smooth down the inside of the receiver. I used #1000 wet paper very gently so it hardly removed material at all, but managed to get the nut started on the threads. After it started, I was able to tighten it down to snug. I now just received the gsg9 barrel nut in the mail today. This nut is actually smaller in diameter than the factory HK nut. I measured 1.3795 inch for the diameter of the factory nut vs. 1.3735 inch for the gsg9 unit. The difrence is 0.006 inch (0.15mm) but that could very well make the difference here... In any case, my barrel is already installed and it would be a pain to re do this so I am going to just let this be. But, in the future, this info could be helpful to others with this fitment issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by a2058 View Post
    Ok, so the barrel was installed using the factory nut. It was tight and I used some sand paper to smooth down the inside of the receiver. I used #1000 wet paper very gently so it hardly removed material at all, but managed to get the nut started on the threads. After it started, I was able to tighten it down to snug. I now just received the gsg9 barrel nut in the mail today. This nut is actually smaller in diameter than the factory HK nut. I measured 1.3795 inch for the diameter of the factory nut vs. 1.3735 inch for the gsg9 unit. The difrence is 0.006 inch (0.15mm) but that could very well make the difference here... In any case, my barrel is already installed and it would be a pain to re do this so I am going to just let this be. But, in the future, this info could be helpful to others with this fitment issue.
    Thanks for the update! Let us know how it all works when its all done by you. I don't know how many people are running these that haven't been fitted and tested by Tom himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubby669 View Post
    Thanks for the update! Let us know how it all works when its all done by you. I don't know how many people are running these that haven't been fitted and tested by Tom himself.
    Thanks! I actually just reinstalled the barrel with a new GSG9 nut. Of course this involved removing and reinstalling the pins (gas block, bayo lug... E barrel) but the new nut makes heck of a difference. I can now simply slide down the nut to engage the threads by hand and tighten to snug by hand on the wrench without using the ratchet, then use the ratchet to go near-spec. In retrospect, I think I smoothed the finish on the factory nut via the sand paper more so than removing any material from the receiver. I have two factory nuts, one smoothed and one original. Original one would not go down in there at all. Smoothed one does with some force, gsg9 nut is far easier to put on, still a very very slight resistance but its not forced.

I feared that with the original nut being so snug to the plastic, heat transfer and wear from shooting may eventually deform the plastic... not to mention interference on the floating barrel design. Anyway, I highly recommend trying the gsg9 nut if this is a problem (of course measure the diameters using a caliper first).

Otherwise, everything else seems good to go, I use a German modified G36 carrier, HDPS bolt, German firing pin and an original unmodified cam pin, German recoil rod and backing plate, German ambi-mag release, German mag housing, and GSG9 E-length stock.
    Last edited by a2058; 11-07-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links