T36 receivers - Page 41
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: T36 receivers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So finally got my T36 fully assembled and test fired last week. No bueno. Was one of the first run receivers and I work outside the country on a constant so I have little window when home to take care of my hobbies and such so not too sure on the route I will take here.

Where to begin? Fitment of my HK production BCG was loose in lateral movement even with the extended cam pin when dropped in without a recoil guide rod. With a guide rod, shifting minimized. However, As I am a lefty this stuck out to me, Charging the BCG with my right hand and not letting it slam home I noticed it felt strange like as if the bolt hit the trunnion. No visible marring was present. This also was not experienced when charging with the left hand. Nor when charging with either hand and letting it fly home. (ballsy move cotton I know) I am attributing this to the gaping oversizing of the receivers that occurred that thus ended up requiring an extended cam pin. (This honestly surprises me that it wasn't a recall with such a mistake in a crucial (expensive) component of the gun.)

Secondly, The chamber was a tight senorita to work with. Crazy tight actually. I hand cycled live rounds at the range before firing and extracting cases was hard. Not impossible or requiring a tool but enough to cause marring to the brass in a similar fashion to the burn marks flutes cause to brass out of G3's/MP5's. I am hoping this may wear in with use but I am going to be paying close eye to that. I am thinking this may attribute to the next issue as well.

Thirdly, I did not get any two rounds to fire without malfunction in the gun. Specifically short-stroking. I shot one full mag working it as a straight pull bolt gun. The full barrel group and piston assembly was the pinned and welded GSG9.us rifle length G36K set offered on Tom's site. (all other parts are HK, magpul, and B&T FWIW) I was using two boxes of wolf gold and PMC M193. I intend to replace the piston assembly with an HK production one and test out hotter ammo loads to see if I can't get it to cycle before I consider it needing attention to the gas ports on the barrel or gas block. Post firing inspection of parts showed no premature wear or marring on the bolt lugs. So that's a bit comforting.

Fitment of everything else was ironically super tight. Crazily. Requiring me to actually use blunt force (hight tech tactical table slam) on my trigger housing to actually get it fully seated in place. I imagine this will wear in and doesn't seem bad tbh. But I believe it to be note-worthy.

I have dropped the gun off with my smith/good friend whom I trust with my stuff while I am out and he will be doing further evaluation on it/working with Tom as necessary. I felt it was necessary to share my experience to add to the reports of issues/corrections when they arise. I understand others here have experienced Improper BCG fitment and short stroking with weak ammo but has anyone experienced these other issues I have noted? Also didn't get any photos, my bad, I should have.

Overall, I am disappointed in the investment in it's current guise. I am not giving up on the gun FWIW but do think that the first receivers should have been recalled rather than given an extended cam pin as mentioned in my first issue. It seems more like applying a TQ and saying "you're GTG bro." vs. getting on an operating table. Especially if the newer runs for the complete gun builds are not having this fitment problem. If I have learned anything it's to not be an early investor. But this is just a guy sitting in JFK waiting on a flight ranting.
    Last edited by redmax29; 11-26-2018 at 04:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redmax29 View Post
    So finally got my T36 fully assembled and test fired last week. No bueno. Was one of the first run receivers and I work outside the country on a constant so I have little window when home to take care of my hobbies and such so not too sure on the route I will take here.

Where to begin? Fitment of my HK production BCG was loose in lateral movement even with the extended cam pin when dropped in without a recoil guide rod. With a guide rod, shifting minimized. However, As I am a lefty this stuck out to me, Charging the BCG with my right hand and not letting it slam home I noticed it felt strange like as if the bolt hit the trunnion. No visible marring was present. This also was not experienced when charging with the left hand. Nor when charging with either hand and letting it fly home. (ballsy move cotton I know) I am attributing this to the gaping oversizing of the receivers that occurred that thus ended up requiring an extended cam pin. (This honestly surprises me that it wasn't a recall with such a mistake in a crucial (expensive) component of the gun.)

Secondly, The chamber was a tight senorita to work with. Crazy tight actually. I hand cycled live rounds at the range before firing and extracting cases was hard. Not impossible or requiring a tool but enough to cause marring to the brass in a similar fashion to the burn marks flutes cause to brass out of G3's/MP5's. I am hoping this may wear in with use but I am going to be paying close eye to that. I am thinking this may attribute to the next issue as well.

Thirdly, I did not get any two rounds to fire without malfunction in the gun. Specifically short-stroking. I shot one full mag working it as a straight pull bolt gun. The full barrel group and piston assembly was the pinned and welded GSG9.us rifle length G36K set offered on Tom's site. (all other parts are HK, magpul, and B&T FWIW) I was using two boxes of wolf gold and PMC M193. I intend to replace the piston assembly with an HK production one and test out hotter ammo loads to see if I can't get it to cycle before I consider it needing attention to the gas ports on the barrel or gas block. Post firing inspection of parts showed no premature wear or marring on the bolt lugs. So that's a bit comforting.

Fitment of everything else was ironically super tight. Crazily. Requiring me to actually use blunt force (hight tech tactical table slam) on my trigger housing to actually get it fully seated in place. I imagine this will wear in and doesn't seem bad tbh. But I believe it to be note-worthy.

I have dropped the gun off with my smith/good friend whom I trust with my stuff while I am out and he will be doing further evaluation on it/working with Tom as necessary. I felt it was necessary to share my experience to add to the reports of issues/corrections when they arise. I understand others here have experienced Improper BCG fitment and short stroking with weak ammo but has anyone experienced these other issues I have noted? Also didn't get any photos, my bad, I should have.

Overall, I am disappointed in the investment in it's current guise. I am not giving up on the gun FWIW but do think that the first receivers should have been recalled rather than given an extended cam pin as mentioned in my first issue. It seems more like applying a TQ and saying "you're GTG bro." vs. getting on an operating table. Especially if the newer runs for the complete gun builds are not having this fitment problem. If I have learned anything it's to not be an early investor. But this is just a guy sitting in JFK waiting on a flight ranting.

A lot of people had issues no matter what parts were being used. I'm pretty sure all of them that had issues have been resolved most with the help of Tom himself.

Why didn't you send it out to him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubby669 View Post
    A lot of people had issues no matter what parts were being used. I'm pretty sure all of them that had issues have been resolved most with the help of Tom himself.

Why didn't you send it out to him?

I dropped off with my guy because he's a personal friend who is willing to, and has before, sit on my guns for long periods of time while I am away. He and Tom have gotten to know each other pretty well over an unrelated work that is not of my place to discuss. They already have a connection and have spoken/speak frequently on the aforementioned other issue. My guy is already talking to Tom about my receiver. I don't know where they're at with it currently but it more than likely will go back to Tom. I hope ultimately for a replacement receiver. The short stroking is concerning me less as it is sounding more like the G36 system not liking commercial ammo but that assumption I am making through the rumor mill of info out there on G36s already and not from either Tom or my guy and is making me just want to shoot the **** out of it next time with Some .mil federal stuff in 55, 62, and 77 grains to see if it cycles any better.
    Last edited by redmax29; 11-30-2018 at 12:42 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I don't have a t36 but I do have several conversions.

Sounds to me like your grip frame issue is that it does not have tabs shaved off.

Your mix of hk and gsg9 parts is most likely the culprit to most of the issues you are experiencing depending on how "used" the hk parts are and how they were modified. Though the tight chamber seems odd but can be addressed easily if it is indeed on the tight side. Are you using 556 or 223 ammo?
    Last edited by flybynt; 11-28-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    I don't have a t36 but I do have several conversions.

Sounds to me like your grip frame issue is that it does not have tabs shaved off.

Your mix of hk and gsg9 parts is most likely the culprit to most of the issues you are experiencing depending on how "used" the hk parts are and how they were modified. Though the tight chamber seems odd but can be addressed easily if it is indeed on the tight side. Are you using 556 or 223 ammo?

Both wolf gold and pmc 55 grain 223 was utilized in a full mag's worth of firing (15rds of each. 5rds in mag at a time). I expect if ammo is the culprit then running 5.56 from federal, lake city, and Hornady will confirm this assumption.

As far as not having the tabs shaved off that would really suck if it were the case since I paid Tom for the semi conversion along with a BCG conversion while he was in possession of my receiver and he shipped them all together to me once the semi conversion stuff was done. However, a more proper evaluation will tell.
    Last edited by redmax29; 11-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

your guy has emailed me a few times and is not familiar with the platform, I offered to take a look at it and see what you have going on, but no response theres over 400 of these running just fine at this p[oint. Your lower is properly modified along with the carrier. thesis are designed to run 5,56 nato spec ammo and lighter loads will not actuate the last round BHO. Your always welcome to call or email, I typically respond within minutes. If you would like to send over I can likely turn it around over night.
    TommyBuilt Tactical LLC 07/ SOT
    Hidden Content
    For all your G36 and UMP conversion needs

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

But this is just a guy sitting in JFK waiting on a flight ranting.
    So, how much of this T36 was assembled by Tom? Seems odd you would direct your energies ranting versus sending it to the one guy on earth who has the power to resolve your situation. If there was something wrong with the receiver, then your friend is in no position to remedy it whereas Tom could.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tbostic View Post
    your guy has emailed me a few times and is not familiar with the platform, I offered to take a look at it and see what you have going on, but no response there's over 400 of these running just fine at this point. Your lower is properly modified along with the carrier. thesis are designed to run 5,56 nato spec ammo and lighter loads will not actuate the last round BHO. Your always welcome to call or email, I typically respond within minutes. If you would like to send over I can likely turn it around over night.
    Ok. I will be having it sent back to you once I get in contact with him. I was under the impression you guys had been constantly communicating on the matter. I apologize to you for that miss-information on my part on here.
    Last edited by redmax29; 11-30-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am assuming the Tommybuilt T36 series complete guns are without any of these reported issues since Mr. Bostic has personally assembled and functioned fired these. Thusly eliminating what is being reported?
    Anybody have one of the complete guns yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    So, how much of this T36 was assembled by Tom? Seems odd you would direct your energies ranting versus sending it to the one guy on earth who has the power to resolve your situation.
    The entirety of the the receiver and barrel group was and so were the semi conversions. Heaven forbid someone comes to a public forum to talk about issues with their gun, see if anyone has similar issues/ remedies, and to provide insight into potential problems of the gun that others may watch for/encounter. I took to the forum as well as handed it over to those already talking to tom so they may send it over to him when ready. Crucify me for feeling disappointed to receive a gun with issues.

As well, it should not be taken as a slander to TB's work as, yes, the man has talent in a unique field that no one else does and should be considered as your number 1 go to for HK polymer gun work. Not to mention the guy is the de facto VERY BEST at customer service I have ever encountered in this industry. I had gotten responses from him via email in less than two minutes after asking questions in the past and that should not go un-noticed. But, every now and then a lemon ends up in someone's hands as I felt I received. Not apologizing for being frustrated by that. Should I have hit him up the day of the issues or the week I was home? Yes, in hind-sight, I should have. Thing's would have probably gotten taken care of more smoothly but I had many priorities that week outside my hobbies. Welcome to reality where hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    If there was something wrong with the receiver, then your friend is in no position to remedy it whereas Tom could.
    My ffl is not working on the receiver itself. They are holding it and examining the barrel's chamber for any defects. They will be sending it to him once I contact them.
    Last edited by redmax29; 11-30-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links