Special Weapons SW5 quesion - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Special Weapons SW5 quesion

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think one of the best things you can perhaps try and do is to find someone who can simply help you switch and play with parts and components known to work. Swap out bolts, trigger packs, housings, etc. That might be a heck of a lot cheaper alternative than chasing parts.

The cast receiver SW made guns look a shade different and when you look at the receiver it clearly is not sheet metal rolled or bent into a receiver. Search the forum for pics.

I had a cast receiver SW made gun. Didn’t work right when I got it. I got lucky and first thing I swapped was the trigger housing. Turns out mine sat too high and messed up the bolt cycling and all. I tried a different housing and that solved the problems and I didn’t have to buy anything but the housing.

Good luck on yours!!!
    Jarden likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bolt is usually the problem on these, so I'd try to swap that first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's definitely a cast receiver, I bought this in early 2000. I'm interested in seeing if I've got a .308 trigger spring. I may start there by replacing that first. Now that I think about it the first time I shot it I don't remember failure to feed/ejection issues, just a non fire, but then that's been about 18 years ago so.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since you have attempted to fire this weapon on two different occasions, and got jams, you need to check out the extractor spring. It doesn't take much to over stress/stretch them, and then they are worthless. Thankfully, the new springs are not a lot of $$$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt40doc View Post
    Since you have attempted to fire this weapon on two different occasions, and got jams, you need to check out the extractor spring. It doesn't take much to over stress/stretch them, and then they are worthless. Thankfully, the new springs are not a lot of $$$.
    I was watching "how to" videos last night on how to replace the extractor spring. I doubt I've shot 200 rounds with this gun, so I'm not sure it's this. However for 7-8 bucks it won't hurt. I still think I need to change the hammer spring, something tells me I have a.308 spring. I really need to get a better idea on how to remove the trigger housing, then the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MW2152 View Post
    I think one of the best things you can perhaps try and do is to find someone who can simply help you switch and play with parts and components known to work. Swap out bolts, trigger packs, housings, etc. That might be a heck of a lot cheaper alternative than chasing parts.

The cast receiver SW made guns look a shade different and when you look at the receiver it clearly is not sheet metal rolled or bent into a receiver. Search the forum for pics.

I had a cast receiver SW made gun. Didn’t work right when I got it. I got lucky and first thing I swapped was the trigger housing. Turns out mine sat too high and messed up the bolt cycling and all. I tried a different housing and that solved the problems and I didn’t have to buy anything but the housing.

Good luck on yours!!!
    Yeah I wish I knew someone with a MP5/94 to do just that. It would make things SOOO much easier. Anybody live in the south?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MW2152 View Post

Good luck on yours!!!
    That would also be my first thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blade runner View Post
    I was watching "how to" videos last night on how to replace the extractor spring. I doubt I've shot 200 rounds with this gun, so I'm not sure it's this. However for 7-8 bucks it won't hurt. I still think I need to change the hammer spring, something tells me I have a.308 spring. I really need to get a better idea on how to remove the trigger housing, then the spring.

You don't need to change out your extractor spring if it is still o.k. The number of rounds fired don't always account for a bad extractor spring. Just remove your bolt, and try to lift/elevate the extractor up in the bolt with your fingers.....no tools. If you can move the extractor up with minimal force.....then the spring is junk. When things are correct, one can elevate the extractor, but it takes some finger force to do it. It is simple to check, and if the spring is still strong, then no need to change.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    I had an SW5, bought around 2002. This was a stamped receiver gun, not cast.
    Wouldn't run. Weak ejection, poor extraction, double feeds, and occasionally an empty in the trigger group.
    I tried everything I could think of. Multiple extractor springs, three different extractors including the original, HK, and one I thought might have been POF, second generation SW5 machined bolt carrier, HK bolt carrier, (eventually the entire bolt group was replaced with HK), HK recoil spring assembly. I reworked the trigger group to smooth it up, replaced the ejector with a legit HK MP5 piece, and replaced the original, likely G3 trigger spring with an HK 9mm spring. Not that it has anything to do with anything else but I also replaced the aluminum cocking handle support with an HK steel piece.
    The gun came with an original HK mag and I added a couple more. Also added four additional POF mags for a total of seven mags so I felt like mags were not a problem. Mags fit well and didn't rattle around but there was a small amount of front to back play at the heel of the mags when installed.

All of this and the gun still wouldn't run 100%. I got beyond frustrated, gave up and sent it to IGF. He replaced the extractor and spring and returned it to me. Still didn't run 100%. I could not get through all seven mags without at least a single episode of FTE. Ever. After a trip to IGF and hundreds of dollars in HK parts and the gun still wasn't 100%. Not to mention the pile of different brands of 115 and 124 gr ammo.

Subsequently, the rifle (SBR) made one more trip back to IGF. That was to install a fake can. I pulled it off the NFA list and sold it at a loss. Good riddance.

Good luck with your rifle. My cure was to replace it with a better gun.
    I replaced all the same stuff . Then I have Jeff Walters replace the barrel with a new RCM barrel. Gun runs 99% now. Early guns the barrels were out of spec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought some 124 gr Nato ammo yesterday, if I have time I'm going to try that this weekend. After shooting the gun last weekend and cleaning it I did notice that the gun was not lubricated enough in my opinion. It has been about 18 yrs since I shot it. In retrospect I should have taken the gun apart and reoiled it before shooting. I'm interested to see if that had any effect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links