Special Weapons SW5 quesion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Special Weapons SW5 quesion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Special Weapons SW5 quesion

New member here, I bought a Special Weapons 94 clone over 20 years ago. Yeah, yeah I know I should have got the H&K 94 for $800.00 back in '86 but hindsight is always 20/20. I've fired the gun a grand total of 2 times after I first bought it and today. The issue is 1) gun jams fails to eject and 2) trigger fails to fully cock. My question is does the type of ammo have an effect on performance? I first started using reloads then switched to Winchester (USA) and it seemed to perform better. It didn't jam but still had trigger issues. It seems that the bolt is not being fully blown back which may be contributing to both issues. I think no matter what ammo then gun still has some bolt/trigger issues. I'd like the gun to work obviously, I've shot less than 200 rounds through it it's basically brand new. Any insight would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

For one what type of magazines are you using? The whole system was meant to shoot 124gr NATO rounds.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What bolt does it have in it? Any markings? Mags can cause issues as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't own a SW5, but do own a BW5, and many folks think that they are one in the same. I had a lot of extraction/ejection problems with mine. I tried my handloads, WWB, Remington and others. None worked near the 100% that I desired.....not even close!! I took mine down and did a fair amount of metal cleanup on the ejector(very rough edges where it goes into the bolthead) and other places. I replaced the extractor and the extractor spring(used the correct brass colored spring, not the metal colored one that was OEM). I felt like my gun was short stroking also, so I replaced the recoil unit(spring and rod) with a HK unit. I did a very thorough clean and lube to all moving parts. I use only my HK mags and PMC(Korean) 115gr FMJ ammo. I can now state that mine is running reliably.....phew!!! After I have run 1-2K rounds through it, I will likely try the OEM recoil system, and possibly the extractor.....not the extractor spring, just to see if they will function o.k. for me.

I have HK, POF, ATI, and a few other mags that I don't know who made them. I will likely cycle them through the gun also and mark them accordingly........but not until I am SURE that the gun is 100% on each range visit.

I am also a handloader, so I will also try my loads(full velocity 115gr FMJ loads). Each "change/trial" will be one at a time so that I don't have but one variable. These guns can most definitely be made to run correctly, but it may well take some time and experimentation......as did mine. I can tell you that I sure do like my MP5 clone a lot more these days.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Welcome. Read this review https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...k-rev-sw5.html and see if the trigger mechanism is what you have on yours, if it's not. As ChuckNorris said, use 124gr. ammo and see if that helps. If it does not help change the extractor spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3_HWHkXR4

Check Robertrtg https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/M...W-126p2258.htm

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    For one what type of magazines are you using? The whole system was meant to shoot 124gr NATO rounds.

To be honest I don't know, it's been so long since I bought them. I have a couple that are curved 30 rnds They were used military surplus I think. only markings are "9 mm X 19 IJ" & "9 mm X 19 IR". I have afew straight mags marked "MP5 HK 9/67". I have a 40 rnd curved still in the package. Honestly that was back in my Thulsa Doom in search of steel days, I may have more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoss710 View Post
    What bolt does it have in it? Any markings? Mags can cause issues as well.
    only markings on the bolt are P-8/98

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blade runner View Post
    To be honest I don't know, it's been so long since I bought them. I have a couple that are curved 30 rnds They were used military surplus I think. only markings are "9 mm X 19 IJ" & "9 mm X 19 IR". I have afew straight mags marked "MP5 HK 9/67". I have a 40 rnd curved still in the package. Honestly that was back in my Thulsa Doom in search of steel days, I may have more.
    I believe IR and IJ are factory German but I’d recommend shooting with a newer mag and 124gr ammo to set a baseline.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I had an SW5, bought around 2002. This was a stamped receiver gun, not cast.
    Wouldn't run. Weak ejection, poor extraction, double feeds, and occasionally an empty in the trigger group.
    I tried everything I could think of. Multiple extractor springs, three different extractors including the original, HK, and one I thought might have been POF, second generation SW5 machined bolt carrier, HK bolt carrier, (eventually the entire bolt group was replaced with HK), HK recoil spring assembly. I reworked the trigger group to smooth it up, replaced the ejector with a legit HK MP5 piece, and replaced the original, likely G3 trigger spring with an HK 9mm spring. Not that it has anything to do with anything else but I also replaced the aluminum cocking handle support with an HK steel piece.
    The gun came with an original HK mag and I added a couple more. Also added four additional POF mags for a total of seven mags so I felt like mags were not a problem. Mags fit well and didn't rattle around but there was a small amount of front to back play at the heel of the mags when installed.

All of this and the gun still wouldn't run 100%. I got beyond frustrated, gave up and sent it to IGF. He replaced the extractor and spring and returned it to me. Still didn't run 100%. I could not get through all seven mags without at least a single episode of FTE. Ever. After a trip to IGF and hundreds of dollars in HK parts and the gun still wasn't 100%. Not to mention the pile of different brands of 115 and 124 gr ammo.

Subsequently, the rifle (SBR) made one more trip back to IGF. That was to install a fake can. I pulled it off the NFA list and sold it at a loss. Good riddance.

Good luck with your rifle. My cure was to replace it with a better gun.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    I had an SW5, bought around 2002. This was a stamped receiver gun, not cast.
    Wouldn't run. Weak ejection, poor extraction, double feeds, and occasionally an empty in the trigger group.
    I tried everything I could think of. Multiple extractor springs, three different extractors including the original, HK, and one I thought might have been POF, second generation SW5 machined bolt carrier, HK bolt carrier, (eventually the entire bolt group was replaced with HK), HK recoil spring assembly. I reworked the trigger group to smooth it up, replaced the ejector with a legit HK MP5 piece, and replaced the original, likely G3 trigger spring with an HK 9mm spring. Not that it has anything to do with anything else but I also replaced the aluminum cocking handle support with an HK steel piece.
    The gun came with an original HK mag and I added a couple more. Also added four additional POF mags for a total of seven mags so I felt like mags were not a problem. Mags fit well and didn't rattle around but there was a small amount of front to back play at the heel of the mags when installed.

All of this and the gun still wouldn't run 100%. I got beyond frustrated, gave up and sent it to IGF. He replaced the extractor and spring and returned it to me. Still didn't run 100%. I could not get through all seven mags without at least a single episode of FTE. Ever. After a trip to IGF and hundreds of dollars in HK parts and the gun still wasn't 100%. Not to mention the pile of different brands of 115 and 124 gr ammo.

Subsequently, the rifle (SBR) made one more trip back to IGF. That was to install a fake can. I pulled it off the NFA list and sold it at a loss. Good riddance.

Good luck with your rifle. My cure was to replace it with a better gun.
    Sounds like what mine is doing. How do you tell if it's a stamped or cast receiver? The rear sight mount is cast not welded I assume mine is cast. Serial # indicates this was made in 2000. Does the type of receiver make a difference? I'm going to try some 124 gr ammo to see if it works better. I suspect there are issues with feeding, extracting and in the trigger. To be honest I'd be satisfied if I could get through one 30 round mag without a failure. I've done nothing to the gun except take it out of the box load it and shot it twice and clean it. I probably won't get rid of it unless someone makes me a really good offer. I didn't pay that much for it originally I think around $800.00, I bought one early on. I think I might try some simple fixes first replace extractor and hammer springs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links