Push pin VS Clipped: Why?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Push pin VS Clipped: Why?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Push pin VS Clipped: Why?

What drives manufacturers to decided between making their clones push pin or clipped?

Kind of new, but it seems Zenith and POF are making push pin guns, and the others are clipped. Is the clipped because adding the shelf is an easier way to make a semi?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sorta want to know as well. Push Pin WAS a must for me, so everybody said to go with the Zenith's. I'm not a fan of the clipped and pinned look at all. It takes away from the overall look, and what has drawn me to the MP5 since I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    What drives manufacturers to decided between making their clones push pin or clipped?

Kind of new, but it seems Zenith and POF are making push pin guns, and the others are clipped. Is the clipped because adding the shelf is an easier way to make a semi?
    Hidden Content
    Zenith MP5K-N 3rnd Burst Post Sample
    Zenith MP5F 3rnd Burst Post Sample
    BI MR556/416 Post Sample
    IK SP89
    AG USP Compact .40
    AG USP .40
    BA P30 .40
    BB 45C
    BI USC .45
    BI MR556
    BK MR762

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm no expert, surely they'll be along soon enough, but originally the ATF decided the front pushpin made it too easy to convert to full auto, and required the shelf to be welded on to prevent the FA parts being installed. My understanding is the POF and Zenith firearms have a piece welded in the rear of the receiver that prevents you from using the FA bolt carrier, and I guess the ATF decided that was good enough. Until POF and Zenith came on the scene the semi shelf was the only way it was done. Also, keep in mind the semi shelf was Hk's idea to get around the problem.
    login_local and rickj1nd like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ahh, so the shelf came along only for semi auto.? That would make sense, of why I had to do what I did, to make these packs fit the Zenith. There is no shelf in F/A packs, but the Zenith's have the semi auto shelf AND are push pin guns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

At least with the pin you can buy virtually any style or color of surplus housing and not have any concerns for fitment. There can be better than a $50 difference between a "clipped and pinned" housing, versus a standard untouched surplus. And, granted it doesn't happen all that often, but I've seen several posts of malfunctions here, many contributed to a bad seat of the housing to receiver in a clipped housing.
    Of course it has to be said, that if we all weren't concerned with looks as well, we would have bought Hi-Point carbines instead of MP5's.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I knew it was some type of workaround to prevent FA, so it sounds like the shelf/pin & clipped was the original method for that, then Zenith and POF found a different way (I think better), so the below is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarden View Post
    At least with the pin you can buy virtually any style or color of surplus housing and not have any concerns for fitment. There can be better than a $50 difference between a "clipped and pinned" housing, versus a standard untouched surplus. And, granted it doesn't happen all that often, but I've seen several posts of malfunctions here, many contributed to a bad seat of the housing to receiver in a clipped housing.

Of course it has to be said, that if we all weren't concerned with looks as well, we would have bought Hi-Point carbines instead of MP5's.
    Brings up another question. HK Parts lists many of their housings as clipped/pinned and need to know if you have a Zenith or POF so they send you an unmodified push pin one. Do they knock $50 off the price, since that's what they charge to pin & clip?

The PTR 93 rifles from Bud's are clipped/pinned, but hey, for that price.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
    Sorta want to know as well. Push Pin WAS a must for me, so everybody said to go with the Zenith's. I'm not a fan of the clipped and pinned look at all. It takes away from the overall look, and what has drawn me to the MP5 since I was a kid.
    How does it take away from the overall look? If its done right with the fake pins it looks stock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

With the fake pins it isn't too bad I guess, but man, push pins are one of the things that make these guns. I'll never say no, but I don't think I'll ever get one without push pins. It would have to be the deal of the year lol. But that's just me. I won't lie, I got into them half just for their looks. I've wanted what I have for over 30 years lol. You think I wasn't going push pin hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    How does it take away from the overall look? If its done right with the fake pins it looks stock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And I'll be honest and say I haven't seen a properly clipped and pinned housing in person. The PTR's look hideous to me when it's completely covered. Are Zeniths really that much more than other host's or clones? Again, I didn't really shop around lol

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Brings up another question. HK Parts lists many of their housings as clipped/pinned and need to know if you have a Zenith or POF so they send you an unmodified push pin one. Do they knock $50 off the price, since that's what they charge to pin & clip?
    There are quite a few other places for housings than HK parts. I have about seven different stores I look through before buying a part. It's actually quite crazy. Comparing prices can be a trip. A housing at one site can be $30 to $50 dollars more than another for the same thing. It's like they take turns on what they will over-price on. Some less popular sites have surplus housings complete with groups for much less than they will sell for here in the sale section. Just shop around. Seriously, you will see it for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links