Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New build

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nieto1124 View Post
    threw some Moli coat on her. she is now complete.

Attachment 214426
    Attachment 214424
    Attachment 214428
    Sweeter!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, and again that's a mighty fine looking weapon you have there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow... very nicely done. Now I have ideas for my next clone.

A friend warned me about going down this path. He said it was worse than AR’s. He’s right. I’ve lost interest in most of my AR’s now; Roller-lock is LIFE! Lol

Beautiful woodwork. I fancy myself an amateur woodworker and this is a project I could really enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    login_local and Nieto1124 like this.
    USMC 1986 - 1997 | TX ARNG 2017 - Present

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Pardon me for being the ******* here, if that's how you want to look at it, but I don't like that wood at all. It appears too bulky to me. One of my favorite things about the MP5 is its sleek curves and minimalistic shape. The foregrip is way too bulky, especially at the front. It gives the appearance of a plus sized supermodel. I look and think, "Good for her, but that's not going in the bank." The stock also looks too bulky. The overall feel to me, and this is just personal opinion, is that the dimensions are too large, in terms of girth, which makes it look like it was the stock on a big rifle that just got sawed down lengthwise for a subgun.

The finish of the wood looks beautiful, but the black plastic grip clashes too much with it and you need to do something with that.

And remember, before taking this too seriously or personal, it's entirely based on what I've grown to appreciate about the traditional look and style of the original MP5. It might just take some getting used to. Maybe I'll look at it later and think it's one of the coolest new ideas I've seen, but that might take a while.

As far as build (wood included), it looks like you did a beautiful job on it. Everything seems to have gone together really well and the fit does indeed look nice. I'd really like to see some videos of somebody assembling and shooting it. There's much more to see here than what a couple of photos can show us of the fully assembled weapon.

In any case, I pride myself on being a craftsman at certain things. Really like to hand build stuff. And I really like to see guys on here make such an effort and expand the design and style into new areas.
    Nieto1124 likes this.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Wood is beautiful, I would taper the foregrip into the gun at the front are rear to make it look more sleek. I prefer Black Duracoat for the classic HK look.
    nice job on the build.
    Nieto1124 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Wow... very nicely done. Now I have ideas for my next clone.

A friend warned me about going down this path. He said it was worse than AR’s. He’s right. I’ve lost interest in most of my AR’s now; Roller-lock is LIFE! Lol

Beautiful woodwork. I fancy myself an amateur woodworker and this is a project I could really enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    you have no idea what you have gotten your self into. I thought AR's were a sickness! roller locks are an obsession.
    Edge767 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster62 View Post
    Wood is beautiful, I would taper the foregrip into the gun at the front are rear to make it look more sleek. I prefer Black Duracoat for the classic HK look.
    nice job on the build.
    Black is classic! I am doing these two in a carbon fiber "hydrodip" on the grip/stock and foregrip. thought the gray would look better. we shall see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Pardon me for being the ******* here, if that's how you want to look at it, but I don't like that wood at all. It appears too bulky to me. One of my favorite things about the MP5 is its sleek curves and minimalistic shape. The foregrip is way too bulky, especially at the front. It gives the appearance of a plus sized supermodel. I look and think, "Good for her, but that's not going in the bank." The stock also looks too bulky. The overall feel to me, and this is just personal opinion, is that the dimensions are too large, in terms of girth, which makes it look like it was the stock on a big rifle that just got sawed down lengthwise for a subgun.

The finish of the wood looks beautiful, but the black plastic grip clashes too much with it and you need to do something with that.

And remember, before taking this too seriously or personal, it's entirely based on what I've grown to appreciate about the traditional look and style of the original MP5. It might just take some getting used to. Maybe I'll look at it later and think it's one of the coolest new ideas I've seen, but that might take a while.

As far as build (wood included), it looks like you did a beautiful job on it. Everything seems to have gone together really well and the fit does indeed look nice. I'd really like to see some videos of somebody assembling and shooting it. There's much more to see here than what a couple of photos can show us of the fully assembled weapon.

In any case, I pride myself on being a craftsman at certain things. Really like to hand build stuff. And I really like to see guys on here make such an effort and expand the design and style into new areas.
    no problem, opinions are good. good eye! Both pieces are heavy on the material right now. stock is about 1.5" long and I have 1/4" of excess material around the fore grip. all the edges are squared off right now cause I had to walk away from the project for a little while. had to build a dounut board for the daughters "baby shower". who knew there was such a thing as a donut board? anyways, I have several other (3) fore grips I am working on, trying to get an exact copy of the original. but, the material gets really thin! I have already blown one out. no bueno. thats why this set up is a little chunkier. the stock will get more work done to it as I have not put the but pad on yet. the but pad will dictate the curvature and length of the piece once its installed. the problem here is once the material is sanded off? its gone! and I need to start over. it will get there. slow is your friend during this sanding process.

I saw a G3 wood set that was cut down to fit and MP5. it looked great but that round fore grip did nothing for me. I think i can accomplish the final stock look I want. and if I cant? I will try my hand at hydro-dipping. saw a you-tube video and that walnut finish product looked amazing.
    Last edited by Nieto1124; 10-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The tricky bit of doing a handguard is the barrel channel. If you can make it round, you can get away with a lot thinner profile. Somewhere on here are some pics of one I made a long time ago that was a short wide style. There was one where I just made the front pin surround out of wood, but that didn't look too durable so I made another with a U-shaped piece of hot roll steel up front.

So if you can do it, drill your trunnion clearance first, followed by a 1 3/8 hole for a section of 1" black pipe (perfect fit in the trunnion groove). Then either cut out the barrel channel with a ball router bit (difficult, but works really well) or drill down it with a long bit - also difficult and doesn't work as well.

You only need about 1/3 of the circumference of the pipe for a trunnion groove lip.
    Nieto1124 likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AutoLode View Post
    wow I never thought wood could look that good !
    exactly my thoughts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links