I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...

Since I bought this CA89 back when I lived in Colorado in 2012/2013, I have had issues with double feeds. On the way to the shooting range a few days ago I got a hold of Dakota Tactical to see if they could take a look at it. They refereed me elsewhere, but suggested that I clean and inspect the flutes using a bore scope. I cleaned and inspected them at the range, but they actually looked remarkably clean. I shot five rounds before I had a double feed. I dropped the mag and of course a spent casing and live bullet fell out. I charged it again shot three rounds and had a another double feed. I cleared the malfunction and this time I noticed the top of my ejector fell out with a casing and the live round. I though to myself "Great, another part I have to replace." It didn't hit me until I was emailing RDTS for help, that the ejector was perhaps the problem all these years; it's one of the only parts I never replaced. For some reason I had kept thinking my rifle was failing to extract the rounds from the barrel causing the double feeds which is an astronomical oversight. I feel retarded because I replaced the entire bolt and several other springs at a cost well over $300, when the whole time the rifle was failing to eject the spent casings (see attached pictures). So if this 3rd gen ejector from HKparts that I just ordered for $47 works, this rifle will be running like a champ, or at least running like a shitty CA89 should be running.

I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...-ca89k1.jpg
    I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...-cohariearmsca89.jpg
    I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...-20180715_092550.jpg
    I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...-20180715_092647.jpg
    I'm actually excited I just broke my ejector on my MP5K PDW Clone...-20180715_092720.jpg

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I wish you luck.
    Years ago I had an SW5 and in the process of trying to make the gun work and asking a lot of questions Adam (yeah, that one) told me about the MP5 ejector. Turns out my gun had the incorrect ejector installed from new. Indeed, the correct ejector (after many other parts) helped make the gun go from multiple jams per mag to a single jam out of seven full mags.
    Back then I was relatively new to the type and didn't recognize the incorrect part looking me in the face. I cannot say yours was incorrect as I haven't seen it but it will be interesting to hear your feedback when you get the new one and compare them.
    Again, good luck. Feels great when problem gun runs well.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my mp5k pdw clone does exactly this when the extractor spring becomes loose which happens often compared to my mp5.

what i think happens is your extractor doesnt have enough grip to hold the round on the bolt so when the ejector lever tries to fling it out sometimes its so loose that it just rattles around inside the gun (instead of being flung outside the gun) while its picking up another round and then clogs everything preventing the round being chambered.

hopefully replacing the ejector lever will resolve your problem but while your in there make sure your extractor and your extractor spring are real tight because ive run into this exact problem several times and what it has been for me, is a weak extractor spring.

the ejector lever cant effectively do its job unless the the extractor and extractor spring are doing theirs.
    caf82313 and gt40doc like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a CA89 that I run with a sear and it fails maybe a couple times out of a 1000 rounds on full auto, likely due to the non-German mags I'm running. I had one of the out of spec SW bolt heads - like you probably did as well, so replaced it with an HK German and bought a spare RCM for the parts bag in case I needed a quick swap out due to a bent extractor spring or broken part (retainer clip, extractor). The RCM runs perfectly as well.

Don't give up on that CA89. After a few replacement parts mine is a tank and will do 100 round mag dumps suppressed all day long. I don't count rounds, but I'll bet I have 30K through mine. Pick up some RIFLE (silver) extractor springs and run those in your bolt head. Don't bother with the 9mm springs, as the rifle springs will give that extractor better grip on the rim of the cartridge and will last much longer than the copper colored pistol caliber ones. Also make sure in the trigger pack that the slot the ejector lever rides in is snug and does not allow side to side wiggle. If it does, give it a LITTLE squeeze with a needle nose pliers until the only motion you have is up and down, not side to side. You want that lever riding perfectly in the bolt head channel every time.

I just re-read your original post. A broken ejector lever is a sign that it was loose and missing the bolt head groove.

Good luck and please report back!
    Last edited by Spitfyr; 09-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really appreciate all the advice. Even though I had a new RCM bolt with a new extractor spring, I was changing out my extractor every hundred rounds and still having this problem. I rechecked my bolt gap, and it was and still is .018.

I had the most hope I've ever had for these parts to fix the issue, but unfortunately my weapon is still failing to eject. At first I tested the gen 3 ejector lever using my new factory HK 30 round magazine and factory Remington 124 grain ammo. I had two stovepipes similar to those pictured above. I then used the same ammo in my new 30rd ETS clear/polymer magazine and I had one stovepipe. I finished out that range day using the ETS magazine with about 20 rounds of 9mm I reloaded myself (Extreme 124grain RN with 4.0 gr of Bullseye), I had not a single failure. I thought perhaps the ammo might be the problem, so I went home and loaded up another 100 rounds. Just for good measure I put the rifle spring in the bolt and went to the range. I tried three more full 30 round magazines of reloaded 9mm ammo out of both my factory and ETS magazine, and I had similar failures to eject/stovepipes.

Spitfyr, when you said take needle nose pliers and give it a squeeze, I thought you meant bend the ejector level, but I just took out my ejector level and just realized what you meant. I squeezed the parts of the trigger pack holding the ejector level in place and I have eliminated the wiggle room. I hope this helps. I've tried reproducing the failures to eject at home by cycling through full mags, i.e. by pulling and releasing the cocking lever for every round, it seems that I can reproduce the issue by not pulling back fast enough or hard enough. I am starting to think the issue could be under powered ammo. When I pull back hard on every round, they eject like clockwork.
    Last edited by hatter665; 09-28-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hatter665 View Post
    it seems that I can reproduce the issue by not pulling back fast enough or hard enough. I am starting to think the issue could be under powered ammo. When I pull back hard on every round, they eject like clockwork.
    My old Bobcat BW5 had similar issues, I replaced a lot of bolt parts, and the ejector, then I realized it came from the factory with G3 hammer spring, replaced with an MP5 spring and it ran like a top.
    The heavier spring was retarding bolt velocity, due to cocking force. Just something else to think about.
    gt40doc, gt40doc and gt40doc like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hatter665 View Post
    I squeezed the parts of the trigger pack holding the ejector level in place and I have eliminated the wiggle room. I hope this helps. I've tried reproducing the failures to eject at home by cycling through full mags, i.e. by pulling and releasing the cocking lever for every round, it seems that I can reproduce the issue by not pulling back fast enough or hard enough. I am starting to think the issue could be under powered ammo. When I pull back hard on every round, they eject like clockwork.
    Great update - we'll get this thing running for you hatter. With that ejector lever snug (but not so tight it binds) in the saddle you should be able to observe through the magazine well and watch the ejector lever gliding inside the slot in the bolt head, and not riding up on the edge of the bolt head. You can also see signs of the ejector missing the slot in the bolt head by looking carefully at the leading edge of the ejector lever and looking for deformations that would indicate it is impacting the bolt head outside of the slot it is meant to ride in. Happy that you are running the silver rifle spring in the extractor - that helps.

My guns fortunately love S&B 115gr ammo. It runs hot and reliably and I've got tens of thousands of rounds through my two MP5's. It happens to be some of the cheapest brass ammo out there - you might give it a try if you are concerned about power. With this ammo it doesn't matter what hammer spring I'm running, but it makes sense softer shooting ammo might fight a strong hammer spring and retard re-ward movement.

I just re-read your original post. A broken ejector lever is a sign that it was loose and missing the bolt head groove.

Keep us in the loop! Good luck!
    Last edited by Spitfyr; 09-28-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: had another thought

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beavizard View Post
    My old Bobcat BW5 had similar issues, I replaced a lot of bolt parts, and the ejector, then I realized it came from the factory with G3 hammer spring, replaced with an MP5 spring and it ran like a top.
    The heavier spring was retarding bolt velocity, due to cocking force. Just something else to think about.
    Interesting... Glad that worked for you. Oddly enough, many of us that have a registered pack and use it across multiple calibers install the rifle spring and use it with great success in 9mm as well.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

A few points:

Check your ejection patterns. If the spent casing is just dribbling out the side, the ammo is too weak or the LP is the wrong one. Probably weak ammo. The spent casings should be flying out 6-10' away.

After double feeds, always check your extractor spring. This is the primary weak point of the gun's design. A lot of people don't do this and the problem just gets worse, a perfect example of the snowball effect. Shoving two cases into that space will put a lot of pressure on the spring and can fatigue it quickly. Always check it to make sure it doesn't expand easily

When you're talking about the "bolt", always make a distinction between the bolt head and the bolt carrier, so that we can tell exactly what you are talking about. That will help avoid ambiguity and make sure you get the best and most concise advice.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rickj1nd View Post
    Interesting... Glad that worked for you. Oddly enough, many of us that have a registered pack and use it across multiple calibers install the rifle spring and use it with great success in 9mm as well.
    Yup, I've even heard people recommend the rifle spring as being MORE reliable in MP5s, but worked for me and gives the OP a less than $10 option to try.(if there is a G3 spring in there)
    Plus no ammo sensitivity, runs wwb 115s to 165 hush like butter. And I haven't ruined an extractor spring since (silver ones)

Hang in there hatter, I know your frustration, but once you get this thing dialed in, and you will. You'll have no regrets

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links