Zenith Z-5RS vs PTR 9CT - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Zenith Z-5RS vs PTR 9CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HotelKilo View Post
    I dunno, there is a rule there there are to be no vs threads but it appears as though that is in reference to non HK vs HK. ie Glock vs HK, or S&W vs HK but that's just how it looks to me. Now I also see that Zenith is a vendor here but PTR is not listed as one. Accordingly, it looks like a tip of the hat to PTR over Zenith would be a violation according to your post, retrodog.
    That's it, but I figured any comparison discussion would surely include some HK discussion/comparison, and end up as a 'vs' thread. I'd be fine with a kind of clone face-off and opinions on PTR/Omega/Zenith/POF and others, and why people would choose them over HK (other than price).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HotelKilo View Post
    I dunno, there is a rule there there are to be no vs threads but it appears as though that is in reference to non HK vs HK. ie Glock vs HK, or S&W vs HK but that's just how it looks to me. Now I also see that Zenith is a vendor here but PTR is not listed as one. Accordingly, it looks like a tip of the hat to PTR over Zenith would be a violation according to your post, retrodog.
    That's it, but I figured any comparison discussion would surely include some HK discussion/comparison, and end up as a 'vs' thread. I'd be fine with a kind of clone face-off and opinions on PTR/Omega/Zenith/POF and others, and why people would choose them over HK (other than price).
    Easy. Availability

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I haven't looked the PTR in person, but for some crazy reason, I HAD to have push pin guns. I didn't even have to think about it. Zenith, and very happy so far. Not that I wouldn't buy a PTR to keep a cool trigger group in :) They are pretty much always in stock everywhere too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
    I haven't looked the PTR in person, but for some crazy reason, I HAD to have push pin guns. I didn't even have to think about it. Zenith, and very happy so far. Not that I wouldn't buy a PTR to keep a cool trigger group in :) They are pretty much always in stock everywhere too.
    I like the concept of the MKE being built on HK tooling and all the street cred they have with their connections to the mothership, but block thing bugs me a bit. Sounds like some mod to the carrier can get around it, but the mod is to a part of the carrier that I'd rather avoid shaving off. If they get clearance from the BATFE to cut or remove the block, I might lean that direction. I wish the companies would be a bit more transparent about their metallurgy. From day one, when the MKE guns were announced, they were claiming "made on HK tooling" but I was the one to point out that this only implied that they would be built to HK spec, dimensionally(best case scenario) but they could still build them out of lesser quality metals and their lifecycle would be shorter. Sounds like people are having good luck with their durability and longevity so far. I have the same concerns about the PTR components. At least they have a pretty good current-day reputation on quality of materials. But I was around way back in the beginning of their life, and listened to everybody complain about the soft metal (non-hardened) they used for the trunion. They clearly got past that some time ago. So I'm still weighing the differences between these two, specifically how it affects my needs, to figure out which one I want to get for my next sear host.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I would doubt that Atlantic feels insulted about a detailed discussion on the benefits of either one over the other
    Retro , We encourage Open, Honest & Civil exchange of ideas even if it does not relate to a product we vend or someone does not like a item we offer , That is how we all learn about this platform . We offer all major makers and it is good to get real world feedback from other Zenith & PTR owners this helps us educate our potential clients.
    Atlantic Firearms.com
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Zenith Z-5RS vs PTR 9CT

Blaine from Atlantic Firearms called me a year or so to talk about roller delayed blowbacks. He will talk to you for an hour about roller delayed blowbacks and ak’s and is very passionate about the Firearms he sells.

Pretty much it comes to this

If you want full auto host then omega

If you want high quality import from a military factory and will only use semi auto and a weapon that’ll go up in value Zenith

If you want one to shoot a lot and are worried about 922R and warranty PTR. The reviews are pretty good on the PTR’s and I am happy to see another available Mp5. I just wish the prices were lower by 300$

If you want a shooter and an import from a military factory and are willing to have finish scratches or minor blemishes. Some of the Pakistani MP5’s were rejected but many people have great experiences with POF. POF seems to be the cheapest and they have a military factory revert stretch and it says Mp5 on the pistol.

I went with the zenith. It really is a fancy MP5. If I were to get another I’d gamble at a POF. If no more of these ever came back in the USA I would get the PTR.

I also do not like welded on rails. I wish I could rip my rail off my PTR91.

I think the best roller delayed blowbacks on the market are the Zeniths with their lower with the pin. That being said there aren’t many Zeniths out there right now. My favorite offering from PTR is the PTR91 K3P PDW G3KA4 pistol. It is the biggest pistol you can get.
    Last edited by Slytiger; 09-30-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Well it sounds like the verdict is still out, since Zenith is still waiting to find out how/if they can modify their gun for FA support.
    Why wait on Zenith other than warranty retention.
    I bought a shelf from HKparts and took everything to a local welder and bam a few days later I had the gun back then cut out the carrier block and went blasting. Ran the gun without even spray painting the shelf & welds, just shot the crap out of it for about a year until I turned it into a SBR. During that time not one person noticed the bare metal, they were too busy trying to wipe the FA grin off their faces.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker View Post
    Why wait on Zenith other than warranty retention.
    I bought a shelf from HKparts and took everything to a local welder and bam a few days later I had the gun back then cut out the carrier block and went blasting. Ran the gun without even spray painting the shelf & welds, just shot the crap out of it for about a year until I turned it into a SBR. During that time not one person noticed the bare metal, they were too busy trying to wipe the FA grin off their faces.
    I don't understand this part. Why did it need a shelf, for a normal grip? Couldn't the standard grip be modified to mate with the existing one, or do I not understand how it's designed.

My SP5k had a slightly different (higher) shelf on it. I modified a grip with a Dremel tool to properly fit it.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

retro - Basically I followed what another had done according to a letter they submitted to ATF stating their intent was to add the classic HK wrap around shelf then remove the carrier block. ATF blessed this approach to allow the use of FA parts. This prevents you from using the push pin of course but matters not to me since all my hosts are configured that way.

I use one of my housings on several different hosts so in this instance I place zero value on the whole "push pin" thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own a few PTR's and a couple Zeniths. In terms of shooting, both companies seem to make solid guns. I'd even say the ptr's seem to be a little nicer in fit and finish. In terms of what I prefer personally, I'd say Zenith. I don't feel like I'm holding a clone when I pick one up. MKE guns are licensed by HK and built on HK tooling. That probably has a lot to do with it. With that said, I don't think you will go wrong with eiter.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links