A rare unicorn... an actual running Special Weapons SW45 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A rare unicorn... an actual running Special Weapons SW45

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
    I wrote BOTH these sellers and inquired as to the reliability of the item in question. Will see what their response is. I am getting worn out buying other people's problems. I still think there is room in the market to have an auction sight that includes video of the weapon for sale firing.

To relay a story of such inquiry, I was looking at a semi auto Bren a few years back. Seller was in my home state. Due to a less than satisfactory purchase a few years before that, of the same product, I was very leary. In most of my inquiries, owners just had never tried firing their weapon. What good is a gun that does not shoot or function properly!? So, almost typically, the sellers response was "of course it works"....

I said I would pay the asking price, cash, if he sent a video illustrating the rifle going through at least 28 rounds of .303 from the magazine. Interestingly, I received an e-mail, showing the rifle, demonstrating that it was NOT functioning properly. The seller was shocked. :-) He said he would work on the problem and get back with me. I ended up taking a trip to meet the man and do some additional testing with him. In the end, he could not get the rifle to function appropriately so I did not go through with the deal. Thankfully, he was in my home state and only about 3 hours away, so it was worth the trouble.
    I really think videos should be part of the sales process, especially for high dollar and often finicky items. I know if I decide to sell my HK21 (worked over by Mike Otte) or this MP45, I'll be sure to post videos as well as pictures, so the buyers know they are getting a running item.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
    I wrote BOTH these sellers and inquired as to the reliability of the item in question. Will see what their response is. I am getting worn out buying other people's problems. I still think there is room in the market to have an auction sight that includes video of the weapon for sale firing.

To relay a story of such inquiry, I was looking at a semi auto Bren a few years back. Seller was in my home state. Due to a less than satisfactory purchase a few years before that, of the same product, I was very leary. In most of my inquiries, owners just had never tried firing their weapon. What good is a gun that does not shoot or function properly!? So, almost typically, the sellers response was "of course it works"....

I said I would pay the asking price, cash, if he sent a video illustrating the rifle going through at least 28 rounds of .303 from the magazine. Interestingly, I received an e-mail, showing the rifle, demonstrating that it was NOT functioning properly. The seller was shocked. :-) He said he would work on the problem and get back with me. I ended up taking a trip to meet the man and do some additional testing with him. In the end, he could not get the rifle to function appropriately so I did not go through with the deal. Thankfully, he was in my home state and only about 3 hours away, so it was worth the trouble.

Responses to my question, "Have you shot it and does it run properly?".

First listing. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787100578

"Hi Car
    The owner let me run a full mag though it. Before he brought it to me
    And I didn't have any problems with it.
    Thanks For Your Interest
    Tom"

Nice when you get a first hand report like this...

second listing. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785977414

"Previous owner said it did but I have not fired it. The first older versions had an angled magwell not straight up and down but with the bottom of Mag tilted forward. I had one of those and it did not cycle. This one has the mag straight up and down at right angle to barrel bore."

And there ya go.

For me, have decided I will go with the Shadow Gideon in .45 that Atlantic is now carrying, but presently out of. Jut have to wait a little longer.
    Last edited by Crackerjack; 10-04-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you greatly for the follow up. As I mentioned on a post last year I have the same issue. I will be calling Wes in the morning it seems. Still found it ironic we are in the same town , but I didn't get rid of my full auto Mac. Even if I can get my sw45 running I will keep it semi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I know of where there is one of these via Private Party sale for $1050 last I checked that is local to me if anyone is interested. The guy selling it offloaded a lot of stuff at the SAR show cheap to payoff a vehicle and I have done business with him before.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    I know of where there is one of these via Private Party sale for $1050 last I checked that is local to me if anyone is interested. The guy selling it offloaded a lot of stuff at the SAR show cheap to payoff a vehicle and I have done business with him before.
    Dang, that is cheap. Even with all the work that needs to be done, you still wouldn't be into it for more than a new mid-tier MP5 clone.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have had one for many years now and it is one of the nicest SBRs I own. Next to the UMPs, this blows its away in fuction, controlability and accuracy. 6900 grains of FMJ go fast with a sear, heavy too! No cut barrel, original 3 lug 8.85 inch barrel
    It has always worked 100% and never misfired or had a FTF or FTE but when I first got it it was cracking the boltheads. It would take a couple hundred rounds to do that though. It was sent back to TB 3 times and he did nothing but send me a very nice free gun case and 15mags but he didn’t fix the issue. I then sent it to Jayson at IGF and he DID fix what was wrong and some other tweaks. This was one of the first ever made and there was some metallurgy issues with the bolts but the bigger issue was bolt gap was zero and the LP was acting like a wedge and would splinter the bolt. The barrel needed to be repressed and TB just wasn’t going to do that. Jayson fixed all that and more and it has been totally without issues since and further I was in comms with Mike Szabo about this and he sent numerous bolts and finally a new beefier design. The ones RTG had, were those and I scored several as spares.
    The SW45x’s were a bad design from the start and required significant mods to get them to work. I would avoid those completely but don’t take my word. Simply ask Jeff Walters. The angled design is basically incompatible with the geometry of the GG mags. Then there were some cast receiver ones that were not the SW45x design.
    If you have ever had the opportunity to shoot a select fire MP5 and then one of these it will put the smile on your face. They definitely are one of a kind

Last edited by U.S. Praetorian; 12-07-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    caf82313 likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    I have had one for many years now and it is one of the nicest SBRs I own. Next to the UMPs, this blows its away in fuction, controlability and accuracy. 6900 grains of FMJ go fast with a sear, heavy too! No cut barrel, original 3 lug 8.85 inch barrel
    It has always worked 100% and never misfired or had a FTF or FTE but when I first got it it was cracking the boltheads. It would take a couple hundred rounds to do that though. It was sent back to TB 3 times and he did nothing but send me a very nice free gun case and 15mags but he didn’t fix the issue. I then sent it to Jayson at IGF and he DID fix what was wrong and some other tweaks. This was one of the first ever made and there was some metallurgy issues with the bolts but the bigger issue was bolt gap was zero and the LP was acting like a wedge and would splinter the bolt. The barrel needed to be repressed and TB just wasn’t going to do that. Jayson fixed all that and more and it has been totally without issues since and further I was in comms with Mike Szabo about this and he sent numerous bolts and finally a new beefier design. The ones RTG had, were those and I scored several as spares.
    The SW45x’s were a bad design from the start and required significant mods to get them to work. I would avoid those completely but don’t take my word. Simply ask Jeff Walters. The angled design is basically incompatible with the geometry of the GG mags. Then there were some cast receiver ones that were not the SW45x design.
    If you have ever had the opportunity to shoot a select fire MP5 and then one of these it will put the smile on your face. They definitely are one of a kind

The one I was talking about above does not have the angled mag well and from what I was told runs well in SA, it was never used with a sear and supposedly has under 200 rounds through it. Glad you got yours sorted out, it looks like you enjoy it and that is awesome!
    Last edited by flybynt; 12-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I had one years ago ran fine with Fleaming sear.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links