PTR compatible parts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTR compatible parts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR compatible parts

I believe this to be the correct section for this question. If not please delete.

I have a PTR 9CT that will be mine tomorrow once it gets delivered to my FFL. This is my first roller lock firearm I will own.

I have a habit of collecting spare parts for all the guns I own and i like to have at least two of most of the parts.

I have been reading up on magazines and such, and have decided to order a couple POF mags. But I have not located at definitive answer as to the parts compatibility between this clone and H&K.

I also came here for some suggestions as to what parts are good to have, and which ones aren't really necessary to have on hand. For my ARs for example I have several pin kits, firing pins, bolts, trigger springs, gas tubes, buffers, etc.

But with the roller lock guns, I'm not all that familiar. It seems that extractor springs are good to have, and I've seen mentions of rollers of various sizes, but then I started thinking that I should make sure they are going to work in the clone before I buy them.

So does anyone know if the PTR will accept H&K internal parts as far as the action goes? And are there any parts I should definitely get? Thanks for any input. I have enjoyed reading around on here so far. Lots of good info I've already found useful

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The parts I have would probably extractor springs and push pins first. You'd have to shoot a lot to start messing with rollers and typically that's regarded for people who shoot FA all the time. I will tell you though... you're going to see how many upgrades or models there are and I envision your funds going to those things.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The parts appear to be all the same as a regular MP5. There are slight machining differences but none seem to be functional in nature. Or at least nothing that would keep HK parts from fitting.

I've only inspected the internals of the PTR 9CT so far, and changed out the grip & trigger pack to use my sear. The grip I use is a clipped & pinned SEF version from HKparts.net. It's the contoured one. I didn't have to do any customization to get it to fit properly, but it's tight. Some others have said that they have had a difficult time with grips fittiing properly, but that just requires a little work with a Dremel tool... usually.

The gun seems to run incredibly well and reliably. As such, you probably won't wear anything out for some time to come, depending on how many thousands of rounds you go through in a year. The extractors and extractor springs were once regarded as something to have spares for, especially the springs, because the occasional FTE (failure to eject) could cause a double feed (live round and empty case) that would prematurely fatigue the extractor spring. You can NOT repair an extractor spring adequately. You have to replace it. The best way to avoid this is to never use cheap/weak ammo. But I'd have a few extra extractor springs just in case. The earlier clones had some issues with cycling and ejecting ammo properly, mostly due to bolt head dimensional issues with the face being too large. So a lot of extractor springs got ruined. I had two of these defective bolt heads and it took a while to figure out what was going on. they have since been replaced with either HK or RCM bolt heads that are within spec.

Rollers, roller retainer spings/plates, roller retainer pins, ejectors, ejector spring, and a spray can of gun oil are all good things to have for emergency situations. Having to upgrade to bigger rollers will come much later, as the trunion gets some wear on it and things settle in. But that is likely to not happen for a very very long time with the PTR. Go read about "bolt gap" and learn more about what causes it and how to change the rollers to counteract it.

You'll use the spray oil to keep the charging support, internal rails, and bolt assembly all properly lubed and allow the bolt to cycle easily. Don't leave a layer of it on the bolt area, or it will build up a lot of gunk while shooting.
    Last edited by retrodog; 11-07-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As noted above, extractor springs are a "must have" in my way of thinking. They are not expensive, and a faulty one will put your firearm out of commission quickly. I have a spare recoil spring/rod unit, and a spare extractor. These pieces, and mags about cover it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the replies. So it seems that rollers aren't something I should worry about in the near future

I will definitely pick up a couple extractors and springs along with recoil springs to start.

I'm anxious to get my hands on it and shoot it. I got the brace deal from Atlantic so that saved me some cash for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ordered 4 extractor springs and a spare extractor. Also got 2 recoil springs. Price isn't bad on them so I figured I might as well get a few. Also ordered a wide forearm since I like that look much better.

Perhaps more importantly, i took delivery of my gun today. Stopped by after work and did the paperwork and ran a box through it. It shoots great. Definitely has a different feel than my MPX does. The brace is a nice bonus as well.

Not to mention the case it comes with is VERY nice, and still works with the brace installed. Likely will re-purpose the case since hard cases aren't my preferred cases for normal range trips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
    I believe this to be the correct section for this question. If not please delete.

I have a PTR 9CT that will be mine tomorrow once it gets delivered to my FFL. This is my first roller lock firearm I will own.

I have a habit of collecting spare parts for all the guns I own and i like to have at least two of most of the parts.

I have been reading up on magazines and such, and have decided to order a couple POF mags. But I have not located at definitive answer as to the parts compatibility between this clone and H&K.

I also came here for some suggestions as to what parts are good to have, and which ones aren't really necessary to have on hand. For my ARs for example I have several pin kits, firing pins, bolts, trigger springs, gas tubes, buffers, etc.

But with the roller lock guns, I'm not all that familiar. It seems that extractor springs are good to have, and I've seen mentions of rollers of various sizes, but then I started thinking that I should make sure they are going to work in the clone before I buy them.

So does anyone know if the PTR will accept H&K internal parts as far as the action goes? And are there any parts I should definitely get? Thanks for any input. I have enjoyed reading around on here so far. Lots of good info I've already found useful
    Best thing I can tell you is YMMV. My PTR 9CT will accept a complete RCM MP5 bolt+carrier assembly as-is. MY PTR 9C won't run that set - get super light firing pin hits. Whereas I can put the 9CT bolt into the 9C without issues. Need to check gap, but otherwise both are running like tops.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chip12345 View Post
    Best thing I can tell you is YMMV. My PTR 9CT will accept a complete RCM MP5 bolt+carrier assembly as-is. MY PTR 9C won't run that set - get super light firing pin hits. Whereas I can put the 9CT bolt into the 9C without issues. Need to check gap, but otherwise both are running like tops.
    Yeah, you definitely need to check BG and get back with us on what you find out. But that's the only thing I can think of that would cause a good bolt assembly to have light primer strikes. Well, off the top of my head anyway. And there would always be -2 rollers if that were the case, and you wanted to use it in that gun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was one if the first things I did.

I brought my feeler gauges from work along with go the gun shop.

The ptr manual lists it as .010"-.018" as the spec, but from what I've read online, the HK spec is a max of .020" and .018" is ideal.

I could get a .018" to be tight but fit. A .016" would just about fall out. So I'd say its either .017" or .018". I dont have a .017" feeler gauge for some reason so I cant be sure.

Its also my understanding that it could potentially get smaller as the gun breaks in.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

On a related note, and I'll preface this by saying that I have a bunch of host guns, you should get yourself a nice little tackle box of some sort. I got this double sided version that has worked very well for 10 years, so far.

If you have any really really tiny parts, you can put them in one of those small ziploc bags that you get from your local crack dealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links