PTR 9CT Extractor Question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PTR 9CT Extractor Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR 9CT Extractor Question

So as some of you may have seen in the ETS magazine thread, I have been having an issue with some ammo. I get some odd double feed and FTE stoppages.

I have been reading around and saw that extractor springs are a common issue, especially if you have a FTE like I'm having. I have read that if you can move the extractor with your finger then the spring is bad.

Is that true? I can move it a little bit. Not much at all, but definitely can move it a little. I thought I recalled when it was new, it was very right and hard to move by hand, but I'm not sure if its just me imagining things or of that was really the case.

I thought I ordered some springs when I made an order from HK parts but I must not have.

I see that guys put the grey .308 springs in place of the copper colored 9mm springs. Is this recommended or should I stick with the 9mm spring?

I dont think the new spring would fix the ammo issue, but I'm more curious if the ammo issue cause the spring to bend or not.

Thanks

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Should be tight, but should be able to move it just a little. To do a somewhat easy check, since you don't have experience with the appropriate feel, try shooting your other ammo and see if it still cycles fine. If it does, probably an ammo problem.

The rifle spring is the same as the pistol spring, just a different color. Ghilliebear taught us that. And they are usually a lot cheaper. Or at least they used to be. He stated at one point that he had a whole bucket full of them.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah it seems to cycle fine with other ammo I have. I thinknive had maybe 1 malfunction with other types of ammo, and that was some of the super light (bunny fart) stuff I had loaded.

But the ammo that I am loading now, which is hi tek coated bullets, seems to be giving me the issues. Only in this gun though. I'll buy some springs anyway since I meant to buy them originally, but maybe I'll hold off replacing for now.

So the .308 and 9mm springs are the same then? I think I did notice that the rifle springs were a couple bucks cheaper than the 9mm springs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You shouldn't be shooting anything that doesn't give you good strong ejections. Should be throwing the case up at least 6' above the gun. My 9CT kicks it out almost straight up around 10'. I haven't closely watched my 147 grain subsonic loads eject, but it seemed to have decent energy. And no failures to eject.

Weak ejections don't cycle the action well enough to clear the case, and sometimes won't compress the spring adequately to give it enough energy to feed reliably. I can't describe it much more. It's one of those things you'll just have to experiment with to get the experience. I don't use coated bullets so I have no experience or opinion on that. The loaded round, in the magazine, should have at least 1mm of room at one end or the other, or combined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't take note of where the cases from this ammo were going. But I know that the previous ammo I shot would eject very strong. In fact it's a pain to find it to pick it up since it goes so far. It would launch it easily 10-15 feet away and probably 10 feet in the air (from the ground, so around 5-6 feet above the gun)

I'll have to pay attention to where the brass is going from these rounds.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
    I didn't take note of where the cases from this ammo were going. But I know that the previous ammo I shot would eject very strong. In fact it's a pain to find it to pick it up since it goes so far. It would launch it easily 10-15 feet away and probably 10 feet in the air (from the ground, so around 5-6 feet above the gun)

I'll have to pay attention to where the brass is going from these rounds.
    My Fiocchi ammo (preferred factory 115 grn. ammo for the MP5 guns) is 1.16" in length. That gives just slightly over 1mm room (thinkness of a dime, roughly) in an HK metal mag. Not sure what it gives in a plastic mag. Depends on the thickness of the material. Everybody is reporting that they are tight so I guess they are trying to make for it on the outer dimension as much as they can get away with. But they might be taking up a little of the inner dimension as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It’s time to change your extractor spring, I have used both grey and copper color spring, they both preform the same. You can take the bolt out and manually put the bullet in the bolt face and see if it has a good positive retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ordered some extractor springs. Seemed that the 9mm and rifle springs were about the same price. RTG didn't have the HK springs for 9mm so I got some Hk rifle springs. The 9mm ones were pof springs.

They were $6 per. The pof omes were $5 and change. So essentially the same price

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The ejection pattern on the PTR 9CT pistols we run with full auto sear packs are almost perfect all of the time & have held up well during many range sessions & even suppressed . It is possible that you may have a bum spring. If you have any other concerns you can always contact PTR

Atlantic Firearms.com
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

have you scrubbed the crap out of your chamber - i.e. - are the flutes clean? The biggest difference I've seen personally between a 9C/9CT with FTE's to one that ran 100% was a good old fashion scrubbing of the chamber.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links